Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

So if the Sheryl Crows were offering up 4 and their two first round picks in 2022 for Horne, how were they expecting to get the Dawson deal done ?

Brenan
Jackson
Rory Hilton
Chris Sullivan
Mark Neeld
Baldwin
Rombitis
Clinton King
Hudson
Blumfield
Keays
Esihold
Knoble
Fleming
Powell
Bisscombe
Houlihan
Mantello
Pitura
Dwyer
Dundas
Polak
Frangalas
Tim Gepp
Justin Charles
Morrison
Geez. Long time sad there zippers. I'll trade ya Nankster, Prestygiocomo, Lynchman, Cadds n :cupgold :cupgold :cupgold in a hurry to give ya a reason to stop cryin for a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting decision to be made.

Melbourne is now being hailed as the drafting gurus as they have used the get multiple picks in one year and let them grow together.

We actually have that system going right now

Balta, Bolton, Baker, Graham already in the top side

RCD Ross Ralphsmith Mansell Dow coming through. I would add Cumberland here as expect he will get a contract

So do we take 6/7 picks this year as they will be close in age to the above players or 3/4 this year and 3/4 next year

We still have the bulk of our premiership players and still in some form. Just need some luck with injuries through 2022. Then as they retire we have the next wave coming thorugh
Won't hurt at all to put another layer of quality youngsters in behind the ones we're already bringing through.
Brisvegas fell off the perch after their glory era.
Hawforn have fallen off the perch after their glory era,
Moggies have managed to stay upright on the perch after their glory era and have remained in strong flag contention, right up until the time we hit deep into our glory era and are teetering n ready to finally fall off the perch.

Tigers have just run a glory era n accidentally bounced off a wall this year. We've still got near all of our core premiership players within a reasonable age spread, plus a group of young guns with another raft of developing youngsters starting to come through. Perfect time to hit this year n next years drafts hard n at the very least build an ongoing era of strong contention similar to what the Moggies have done. With perhaps an extra flag or three of course.

Reactions: 2 users
Not convinced about the quality in this cohort. We need to hit the draft hard this yr.
Perhaps the next core of role players tucked in behind the Bolton's, Balta's, Stacka's n Moju's. Then we finally get a crack at some more early picks this year n find a couple more premium kids.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps the next core of role players tucked in behind the Bolton's, Balta's, Stacka's n Moju's. Then we finally get a crack at some more early picks this year n find a couple more premium kids.
Agree with you TM, and Aegean.

4 or 5 picks inside the top 30 will hopefully be a higher calibre than Martyn, Cumberland, Ross, Miller, Aarts, even Hugo Ralphsmith. So just taking these picks lifts the quality of our depth.

Same drafting potential again next year with any luck (gee i love that North 2nd rounder next year, not sure they'll finish last it's a good midfield they are building but wont be top 8 either).

On a separate matter, I just reckon Mitchell will be a ferocious competitor - wont die wondering. I posted this a few weeks ago, reckon he'll be a great coach. If he doesnt lose his players!

Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell confirmed on Friday he has spoken to several rival clubs but not to “any sort of level that’s worth even talking to the players about it”,
Might already have lost half his players before he's even begun pre season. Got me a weird feeling that there's gunna be some horrible *smile* splattering happen at Hawforn over the next few years.

@CalTwomey

Adelaide has made a huge play for North Melbourne's No.1 pick by offering three first-round picks for the prized selection, but the Roos knocked it back.
Bloody massive offer from the Crowbaits n just as massive a call from #lolnorf to knock it back. Reckon both clubs must think this Horneytoads kid is even better than the Dusty one.

Sounds like he is going to scorch the earth first. If he has learnt anything from Clarkson it will be to move all the senior players on quickly, start again with kids, fall to the bottom for a couple of years and launch.

He will lose the players in the short term if he can’t move anyone on this year.
If Mitchell doesn't lose the players, Jeff sure will. Or alternatively lose him!

@CalTwomey

Adelaide has made a huge play for North Melbourne's No.1 pick by offering three first-round picks for the prized selection, but the Roos knocked it back.
Wow! Cannot believe any club would reject that, especially one in Norf's rebuilding position. Sure, Horne may be a great prospect, but with 3 x 1st in a very uncertain field this year due to Covid restrictions on actually reliable form for analysis, there is a very good chance of picking up 2 or even 3 top-line players. Maybe Callaghan would have even fallen into their lap - the pick I'd love RFC to take.

Crows prepared to throw baby and bathwater out to grab the local hero, Horny.

Agree with you TM, and Aegean.

4 or 5 picks inside the top 30 will hopefully be a higher calibre than Martyn, Cumberland, Ross, Miller, Aarts, even Hugo Ralphsmith. So just taking these picks lifts the quality of our depth.

Same drafting potential again next year with any luck (gee i love that North 2nd rounder next year, not sure they'll finish last it's a good midfield they are building but wont be top 8 either).
I really rate Hugo, and think RCD and Cumberland are capable of turning into winners while Ross, Martyn and Miller can still develop into solid role-players at least.
However, believe you keep your 1st pick in any draft (or trade it up if possible) in that year. Along with Norf's 2nd with our own picks in '22 a really pleasing strategy for me.
The claim is that while this year's draft is stacked with mids, next year's has a lot more quality tall KPs, which we need to get in for.

If we don’t think we can get our main targets with pick 7 and can’t upgrade it either then do we look at trading it? Perhaps we could send 7 and 15 to Sydney, Sydney give us pick 12, give Dawson to Adelaide and Adelaide give us their 2022 1st?

Our last 5 years at the draft

2016: Shai Bolton (29), Jack Graham (53), Ryan Garthwaite (72), Tyson Stengle (rookie)

2017: Jack Higgins (17), Callum Coleman-Jones (20), Noah Balta (25), Patrick Naish (34 father-son), Ben Miller (63), Liam Baker (rookie), Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (Cat B rookie)

2018: Riley Collier-Dawkins (20), Jack Ross (43), Fraser Turner (58), Luke English (62), Jake Aarts (rookie), Jacob Townsend (rookie), Mabior Chol (rookie), Sydney Stack (SSP), Mav Weller (SSP)

2019: Thomson Dow (21), Noah Cumberland (43), Will Martyn (44), Hugo Ralphsmith (46), Bigoa Nyuon (54), Marlion Pickett (mid-season)

2020: Samson Ryan (40), Maurice Rioli Jr (51 father-son), Mate Colina (Cat B rookie), Rhyan Mansell (SSP), Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (SSP), Matthew Parker (mid-season daft)