Trade Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Thread

So after 5 days there’s been a lot of hot air but only 7 player trades and 2 pick swaps.

we all know now the AFL want to maintain a media presence in the off season with trade, national draft, rookie/psd, AFLW, AFLX, Irish games etc but seriously 2 weeks of trade is far too long and tedious.

Reactions: 1 user
Loving the quick fire Trade show with Lee Montagna, Sam McClure, David King and our man Jon Ralph.

They don't get overly heated about anything like the other chat shows and move on very sharply.

No BS, on point analysis, Butter Bing Butter Bang!

Although I feel David King is a bit of a weak link...
The weak link in a group that includes Jon Ralph. Brutal, Hans.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep loving the new Richmond and how we treat the players. This is why players don't want to leave. Even those that don't get games are in 2 minds about leaving.

yeah this aspect of the Richmond buddist culture stinks. Can't have it both ways I guess. The ideal situation would be a St K - Carlton bidding war and we get a pick in the early 30s, which is what he is easily worth IMO.

The problem is both Carlton & St Kilda are looking to bring in multiple players and require picks for them so Butler is low priority. To be fair in the depth of our injury crisis Butler hardly came into calculations.

I am in two minds about the Butler situation. Essentially I think the club is saying we respect you, you are always a Richmond man and a premiership player and we will look after you.
That being said we have a list to look after and we won’t have this depth for ever. Don’t know how I really think about it. I suspect we won’t use any pick we get anyway as I am expecting is to draft maybe 3 players and use the rest for rookie upgrades.
Are there any more “black sheep”, misfits, highly talented but wayward players in the draft or in the state leagues?

Are there any more “black sheep”, misfits, highly talented but wayward players in the draft or in the state leagues?
We are really building a culture aren't we that supports guys from the wrong side of the railway tracks. That isn't just laudable its bloody difficult to get right. What is the old Big Brother axiom - "Keep it real". If you aren't real with these guys then you are nowhere. If you can treat them unfailingly, unflinchingly, with respect then they will do anything for you. We just have to keep finding the rough diamonds who are having a go. Yes I agree with comments made for Butler, it may hurt us in "opitmising" our trades but we will reap the rewards each game day if the players know - when their time comes the club will support them and treat them with respect.

In retrospect I used to slam the club for the Chris Yaran pick. If you consider it in this light...no it was still a bad pick. We paid full price and ice isn't a tough upbringing. It's a destructive master.

Last edited:
Maybe come late Wednesday we are looking to swoop in on the carnage and upgrade our 2nd rounders.

News tonight Essendrugs demanding the likes of a Parker, Heeney or Blakey type player plus a first rounder for a crock like Daniher, who's barely played the last two years. If I was Sydaknee, I'd be telling the Dodo to bash Daniher right back up where the sun don't shine n hope the Dodo chokes on the result.
Fully fit Daniher was good, but not that good. Two years of groin issues n slack rehab makes him worthy of maybe a late first rounder n pray he can be fixed.

Reactions: 6 users
News tonight Essendrugs demanding the likes of a Parker, Heeney or Blakey type player plus a first rounder for a crock like Daniher, who's barely played the last two years. If I was Sydaknee, I'd be telling the Dodo to bash Daniher right back up where the sun don't shine n hope the Dodo chokes on the result.
Fully fit Daniher was good, but not that good. Two years of groin issues n slack rehab makes him worthy of maybe a late first rounder n pray he can be fixed.
It’s pretty clear he wants out.
keeping him against his will would be toxic.

I've always felt that Butler doesn't have a high football I.Q. He's quick and a good kick/snap for goal but he regularly runs himself into trouble. To me he's not good in traffic.

That said, he's a Richmond Premiership player and will always be one of the drought breakers.

Good luck young man.
I think his IQ dropped 20 points when he took possession of the ball.

Maybe come late Wednesday we are looking to swoop in on the carnage and upgrade our 2nd rounders.

We have enough later picks to hopefully put us in a good position to deal with a club desperate for more later picks - like Saints who want 4 players and have one decent pick or the Blues who need other picks for the 3 they want.

Fingers crossed the Tigers win in the upgrades if they happen.

It’s pretty clear he wants out.
keeping him against his will would be toxic.
All the more reason for him to stay.
Nothing like forcing someone to live n work where he / she doesn't want to be. doesn't matter how much you pay them, they'll have the permanent grumpy pants on, sooking, niggling, annoying n cutting corners in everything they do.
The more toxic the culture Dodo n Essendrugs can facilitate the better I like it.

Colonwood done their generations of Colliwobbles n still tripping over themselves at times with their bucket mouth prez, finals failures, coaches n player issues.
Essendrugs with their massive doping scandal, holy trinity of *smile*, Bummer n Dank plus their inability to win the occasional final.
Carlscum with their constant rebuilding, coach destroying, their sanctioned Visy / Judd cap rorting, wooden spoons n GeeWhizz leftovers.

All while the mighty Tigers strut their stuff as the only competent traditional big four club. Top of the ladder, winning flags, building their financial security, monster supporter base and leading the comp in building a team and culture of inclusiveness that is second to none.

So, so good being a tiger.

Reactions: 7 users
We have enough later picks to hopefully put us in a good position to deal with a club desperate for more later picks - like Saints who want 4 players and have one decent pick or the Blues who need other picks for the 3 they want.

Fingers crossed the Tigers win in the upgrades if they happen.

I'll say there will be no pick upgrades this year.

St Kilda who is interested in Butler, (but only 5th in line), will probably get pick 32 from Bulldogs for Josh Bruce to go with their draft picks below. If they did want more picks to get their other deals done they would more likely want to swap pick 32 for our say 38 & 39 but RFC wouldn't swap 2 picks in thirties for 1. Butler and a swap of our pick 38, 39 or 41 for their pick 32 would only weaken St Kilda's hand to get their other deals done, hence the most likely deal is an exchange of a FUTURE probably 3rd round pick.

Freo who may be interested in Menadue might then get pick 12 for Hill but at this stage Freo have no picks between 22 & 79 so again we can't package Menadue or even McIntosh and one of our picks to get lower in this draft so again I think it will be some FUTURE junk exchange probably no earlier than 3rd round.

St Kilda : 12, 18, 76, 82
Freo : 7, 22, 79, 83

Seems like we are bending over backwards to help Dan, but the Saints aren't. They are saying yes we want you, but you're at the end of the queue. I hate queueing for a beer let alone to get a gig for a future career. It doesn't scream 'we want you, we believe in you'. I'm really surprised he isn't in more demand, he's young, fast, tough, kicks goals and is on the fringe of the best side with the best groups of fast, tough small forwards, and on top of all that, he's a premiership player.

Clubs are second guessing themselves far too much IMO. He will come in to a side, run, tackle, kick goals, he is what most sides need. He is our 5th or 6th best small pressure forward sure, but he would be half the sides in the league 2nd, 3rd or 4th best.

2 questions from me, why isn't he in higher demand? and why has he nominated St K? who aren't walking the walk in terms of acting on their alleged interest? We would never do that to a player, our word is our bond.

Reactions: 5 users