Trade Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Thread

And I was keen on us getting Josh Toy....... shows you what I know
Toy had a heart problem and couldn't play elite football anymore. Without the physical limitation I think you were right. I saw him playing against my brother in law in the EDFL. Looked several classes above that level with his skills.

We've become a benevolent charity giving away stuff for nothing
That’s what happens when most of your list are quality. Plus we now have every confidence in our recruiting staff to bring quality back in.

We gave away Lloyd and Miles last year for nothing and both finished in B&F top 10. We might end up doing it again.

Reckon we should go harder

Reactions: 1 user

yeah this aspect of the Richmond buddist culture stinks. Can't have it both ways I guess. The ideal situation would be a St K - Carlton bidding war and we get a pick in the early 30s, which is what he is easily worth IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah this aspect of the Richmond buddist culture stinks. Can't have it both ways I guess. The ideal situation would be a St K - Carlton bidding war and we get a pick in the early 30s, which is what he is easily worth IMO.
I've always felt that Butler doesn't have a high football I.Q. He's quick and a good kick/snap for goal but he regularly runs himself into trouble. To me he's not good in traffic.

That said, he's a Richmond Premiership player and will always be one of the drought breakers.

Good luck young man.

Loving the quick fire Trade show with Lee Montagna, Sam McClure, David King and our man Jon Ralph.

They don't get overly heated about anything like the other chat shows and move on very sharply.

No BS, on point analysis, Butter Bing Butter Bang!

Although I feel David King is a bit of a weak link...

I just read the Sam Frost trade.

so Melbourne gave away Frost (a top 10 B&F player this season) and picks 41, 61 and a future 4th rounder.

and for Hawthorn to get all that they gave up pick 50 and a future second rounder.

so what am I missing? Do melbourne hate Frost or something?

That’s what happens when most of your list are quality. Plus we now have every confidence in our recruiting staff to bring quality back in.

No that's what happens when you choose to do this. It's not set in stone that a fringe player from a premiership side can only get you a pick in the 70's. In 2015 Jed Anderson (along with picks 38 & 40) got Hawthorn picks 15 & 55 from North Melbourne. Anderson at that time was not a first 22 player and had only played 10 games for 4 goals. Compare that to Butler who has 45 games under his belt and 53 goals and is a premiership player. Am I saying that St Kilda's first round pick should be part of a deal. Absolutely not. But simply because he isn't first 22, neither should he be considered a freebie. Consider it in reverse, if he was first 22 at St Kilda and we wanted him, would St Kilda happily accept a pick in the 70's from us because he won't be first 22 here. I don't think so.

Also it does set a precedence. Having let a bunch of players go for peanuts in 2018, I remember reading in numerous football forums before Bolton re-signed that it would only take a third or fourth to get him because Richmond 'are good that way' and they don't stand in the way of players to get more opportunity at other clubs. For Shai Bolton for God sake. Well now we are doing that with a premiership player. Don't want to be pricks like SOS but neither should we go overboard in the other direction. Really not sure we are striking the right balance here.

Last edited:
His money demands are a bit over the top, however I’d be havin a chat to the Hill camp , we have good trade ammunition with Kmac, Menadue and picks to get the conversation started, what an upgrade on Brando he’d be .

His money demands are a bit over the top, however I’d be havin a chat to the Hill camp , we have good trade ammunition with Kmac, Menadue and picks to get the conversation started, what an upgrade on Brando he’d be .
At $900k?

I get that,

But we cant on one hand say 'we love you, play to your strengths, but your strengths aren't good enough so languish in the 2nds'

we are loving our players enough to set them free :cool:

In a culture of authenticity, contradiction is death

At $900k?
That’s what the media says , surely if he really wants to get back to Melbourne the chance of playing on the G and with the best club in the land , especially with the indigenous programs , a bit of a hair cut on the wage wouldn’t be much to worry about

I get that,

But we cant on one hand say 'we love you, play to your strengths, but your strengths aren't good enough so languish in the 2nds'

Both points are valid but as you said we have a loving culture at the moment and it is winning us premierships. If we become pricks when it comes to trading away players and forcing them to stay it will start the opposite of what we have now where players will start to whinge and moan. That can spread like a wild fire at football clubs and before you know it your culture is destroyed. Happy to let players go for better opportunities. As other have said finally have confidence that our recruiting and development teams can produce better quality to replace them

Perfectly fine with the Butler situation. Yes other clubs would demand more but we’re not other clubs. We have the strongest culture in the AFL and it’s for a reason. Why demand a higher pick that we’re not going to use anyway? We’re doing just fine and a large part of it is because we treat our own with respect and not like commodities.

Reactions: 2 users
I get that,

Yep. Gotta look after the players, they're people not pieces of meat.
If we look after our fringies ( n Geezer is now fringe ) by helping them continue their career opportunities at other clubs. Then other players ( ones we might want and need ) will be more than happy to consider coming over to us.
There's 18 clubs in the comp, deal fair when they want something or your player wants something, then when you want something back it's usually a fair return. Blokes like Dodo n SoS who run around demanding overs every time soon grow a rep n rarely get easy or fair deals done either way.

That’s what the media says , surely if he really wants to get back to Melbourne the chance of playing on the G and with the best club in the land , especially with the indigenous programs , a bit of a hair cut on the wage wouldn’t be much to worry about

Maybe it's the cynic in me but I reckon it might actually be all about the coin as he's got the 3 flags and now he wants the gravy..... slightly different with Brandon as he possibly saw himself as borderline best 22.
Richmond Men or not, the reality is clubs will come knocking and some of our best will probably end up following the money in the not too distant future!
Until then I'm going to enjoy a ride I thought we'd never be on.

As much as I would like higher picks for our fringe player, we have moved on from demanding the earth and we are putting players first - they are not tradeable commodities - meat as TM says.

When was the last time a required player has wanted to leave - Daniher, Caddy when at the cats, Grundy and Elliot....... most clubs have em. I think Dusty was it. Ellis left but we did not stand in his way - respect the player. Gale understands this new environment better than anyone, Balme is as shrewd as they come. Together with Hardwick they are rewriting the rule books and we will attract players motivated by more than just money.

We are building a culture that other clubs still don’t get and I reckon it will pay back the club massive dividends in later years and it also allows the current squad to fully buy in to our club culture right now.

Let Scott squeal over Kelly, let Essendon use their players to pressure those who leave (they have not learned from Ryder), let SOS lead players on then burn them, they all sound like the tigers who took a decade to understand the nature of the draft befor we worked it out and they were wasted years full of mistake.

Reactions: 2 users