Trade with Bulldogs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade with Bulldogs

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Er yes you did. Brisbane employ a free running, high scoring, attacking style of play - similar to that of Port - like "a flock of seagulls". Brisbane do not rely on ginding, ugly, low scoring games like us - like "a group of snails".

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Harry, take a look at their mid-size/small brigade: Voss, Akermanis, Lappin, Black, Power, Hart, Chris & Brad Scott. The main thing you notice is strength and body size, not the running athleticism. Sure, they are a very good running side (goes without saying for a top 4 side) but what makes them a Grand Final winning side is the physical power, and their ability to overpower sides at the clearances and in heavy traffic. Finals are all about heavy traffic, especially Grand Finals, and every coach worth his salt will build a team capabale of winning on the last Saturday in September. Nobody said let's build a team of snails.
And it is clear that the attacking side of our game plan is lacking a heap, but I can follow the thinking, even if you can't.

P

PuntRoadRoar

MT

i agree with you partly on the do not swap a tall for small but a few years ago didnt we trade with Collingwood a dud ruckman named S.McKee for a superstar rover named C.King?

LOL

sorry i have a sick mind. ;D

P

PuntRoadRoar

Dean3, i think your right about the toughness of brisbane being an asset but Brisbane's strength is their ability to run in numbers and back each other up, it just so happens that they are also bigger and stronger.

so i think you and harry are both correct LOL

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Dean - you were talking about our game plan and you were defending frawdudly's defensive game plan - saying that he was on the right track - LOL.

You also criticised Ports attacking game plan. Strength and physical size of players was not part of the discussion. OK - a bunch of snails wasn't appropriate. Its more like a bunch of strong, mature bodied sloths.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
PuntRoadRoar said:
MT

i agree with you partly on the do not swap a tall for small but a few years ago didnt we trade with Collingwood a dud ruckman named S.McKee for a superstar rover named C.King?

LOL

sorry i have a sick mind. ;D

LOL ;D. I think that trade is known as a lose-lose situation :p.

PRR, you would reckon a sick humorous mind is a prerequisite for following the Tiges over the past 20 years ;).

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Not sure what your point is Harry. I stand by what I said. I certainly wouldn't put Brisbane in the "free-running, high scoring" category. They don't kick 20+ goals very often. They've struck a good balance IMO - very strong defensive game plan, built on an excellent defensive structure and an all-powerful midfield group. If they end up winning by big margins, it's because they'bve worn teams down by 3/4 time with brutal strength and attack on the body (and, yes, running). And they blow it out late in games, very often.
You'd have to admit that their talent is stacked in the midfield and back half.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Brisbane has a team of consistent performers who play as a unit. They've got their stars but even most of their second tier players contribute week in week out. IMO Port has too many cameo players who play a blinder especially against weaker opposition then go missing. That's why the stuff up in finals when the pressure is applied.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Dean3's point is very valid on the strength issue. If you look at the Eagles when they were in the prime (previously) they were all monsters.

What really hit home to me was at the Toss of the coin at last years Grand Final. BUCKLEY is no wimp, but VOSS made him look like Mr Puniverse by comparison.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
gustiger12 said:
Dean3's point is very valid on the strength issue. If you look at the Eagles when they were in the prime (previously) they were all monsters.

What really hit home to me was at the Toss of the coin at last years Grand Final. BUCKLEY is no wimp, but VOSS made him look like Mr Puniverse by comparison.

Collingwood didn't lose last years GF because Brisbane were bigger or stronger, they lost because they didn't have the necessary skill when it was required.

And if anyone is interested Brisbane averaged 114pts in 01' and 02 and also averaged 16 goals per game in both those years. Richmond will go nowhere until they can average those kind of numbers and we haven't come close under Frawley and I'll bet lots of money we never will while he's in charge.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
TF - a well balanced and accurate post as usual. My points exactly. If averaging 114 pts isn't attacking then I'll go jump. More attacking than the seagulls Port and Freo.

Its laughable comparing us to port and saying that we are on the right track and that they are not. Benny Hill should have used this in one of his sketches ;D

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
That's the way Harry - rely on somebody else's breath of spurious air to bail you out — as usual.

Wasn't Harry the bald headed old bloke on Benny Hill? ;D

Dean3

Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Unfortunately we can't play 11 or 12 games at the Gabba TF, usually in perfect conditions. We've gotta do that at the G. You can get stats to say anything, if you really want to.

Ignore what I'm saying about building a team to win on GF day if you like. You're not facing facts, you're producing stats. I've noticed that stats are a bit of a thing with you TF, but rarely are they supportive.

All I'm saying is that the great sides are built on strength, accountability and are modelled around winning finals, which are a completely different game to home and away.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
Harry said:
We have a good core and we can afford to lose 2 or 3 of our more marketable players such as - Ottens, Richo, Bowden, Hall, Fiora, Holland, Hilton, Gaspar. We played better earlier on in the season without Holland, Richo, and Ottens, and Bowden, Fiora, Hilton, Gaspar and Hall are dipsensible. We should be throwing these players at the bulldogs for the first pick plus we also need to get a couple of other first round picks.
accurate and consise harry early picks and lots of them are the way to go ;D

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:
Unfortunately we can't play 11 or 12 games at the Gabba TF, usually in perfect conditions. We've gotta do that at the G. You can get stats to say anything, if you really want to.
But how else would you interpret Brisbanes average score and goals Dean?

I don't think home games at the Gabba has anything to do with kicking big scores Dean. I'm sure if you looked at the last decade of premiership winners you'll find that they all will have averaged over 100 points a game.

Ignore what I'm saying about building a team to win on GF day if you like. You're not facing facts, you're producing stats. I've noticed that stats are a bit of a thing with you TF, but rarely are they supportive.
You only dislike the stats I produce because they have an annoying habit of contradicting what you say.

But you're right, who am I to support my arguments with factual data while others mearly give their uniformed and baseless views. Shame on me for contributing informed discussion to this and other debates. :p

All I'm saying is that the great sides are built on strength, accountability and are modelled around winning finals, which are a completely different game to home and away.
So Dean, you think that kicking 9 goals against Brisbane and 6 against the Crows is the right way to go about winning a Premiership?

Unfortunatley, Danny Frawley seems to think so.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
TigerFurious said:
So Dean, you think that kicking 9 goals against Brisbane and 6 against the Crows is the right way to go about winning a Premiership?

Unfortunatley, Danny Frawley seems to think so.

Dean3 and Danny are absolutely right.........if you're playing in the little league at half time.