Trades hall union rednecks... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trades hall union rednecks...

nitrotiger

" lets play like the tigers of old ! "
Sep 9, 2005
Noble Park North Melbourne
Wankers.Jerks.Total flamin bloody extortionists.
Imposing their will upon a company in pursuit of their own pathetic agenda.
Most of em wouldnt work in an iron lung anyway.Cant even spell the word.
All in the name of filling the MCG......
Fair dinkum......and Im flat out gettin a job..........
Thats it....Im gonna shift elsewhere..........

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
nitrotiger said:
Settle Little Jonny.

ssstone

the mongrel plumber,and the heir apparent
Aug 11, 2006
ararat
nitrotiger said:
:rofl :roflyour union fees at work .agree nitro try this *smile* in china bloody knobs :hihi :hihi

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
While I'm all for people getting paid as much as they can, you have to look at the bigger picture also....something the unions have ignored, and to be honest, the workers have been a bit naive (or selfish?) as well, looking at short-term fixes instead of long-term stability in the workplace.

An example:

Five or six years ago now, at a previous company I worked for, we had to get some brochures printed...a few thousand of them actually.
Got a quote from a printing company in the same street as where we were situated....and then got a quote from a print-firm in Malaysia.
It worked out cheaper to get them manufactured, printed, and shipped from Malaysia to here, than it was to get them Australian made, 2 blocks up the road!

Now, the employees at that print-firm up the road might have been on o.k wages compared to the people in Malaysia....however, that printing company up the road does not exist now.

Then we also have situations like Ajax Fasteners, where they have gone bust, and it's going to affect the employees of Holden/Ford, etc.
I heard on the radio this morning from the Union saying they are angry that the car manufacturers aren't committing themselves to buying from Ajax in the future, to save the 200-odd jobs at Ajax.
But Holden/Ford have a responsibility to THEIR shareholders, and if its not in THEIR best interests, then why should they commit to Ajax?
If they can get the fasteners from overseas, for cheaper.....and Ajax have gone bust due to many factors, but one would be employee demands/wages, encouraged by the unions, then, why should Holden/Ford be embroiled in all this?
The only way I think Holden or Ford would get involved if it started to affect their production, turnover, and their own employees...then they might come up with a rescue package or something, but that will only be a short term answer.
I'm sure in the next day or two, we'll hear the union blaming the new IR laws for whats happened... ::)

Another thing Bracksy keeps bleating on about..... :mad:...the IR laws have NOTHING TO DO with him winning the election!!!
These new IR laws gotten the blame for just about everything under the sun, but where are the mass sackings?
I haven't seen a big line outside Centrelink when I have driven past?
I haven't seen mass protests from all the workers who have been sacked under the new laws.
Its a big myth, and a scare campaign from the ALP and the Unions.

nitrotiger

Sep 9, 2005
Im with ya there Liverpool mate.....
In my early days of employment....I was howled down and chastised if I worked too hard or went the extra mile......
Then I left my job cause I was bored then....turned up to do 2 hours work then just look at the grass grow the other 6.........
I suspect that there,s a lot of people who believe that their jobs are theirs,regardless of performance,quality and justifying a good job well done in turn for a good wage.
having a mortgage and a family does not entitle you to an unsackable,indespensible job.
Working hard will help to guarantuee your future....even in time of redundancy....a good work ethic will never see ya without work....

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
nitrotiger said:
Im with ya there Liverpool mate.....
In my early days of employment....I was howled down and chastised if I worked too hard or went the extra mile......
Then I left my job cause I was bored then....turned up to do 2 hours work then just look at the grass grow the other 6.........
I suspect that there,s a lot of people who believe that their jobs are theirs,regardless of performance,quality and justifying a good job well done in turn for a good wage.
having a mortgage and a family does not entitle you to an unsackable,indespensible job.
Working hard will help to guarantuee your future....even in time of redundancy....a good work ethic will never see ya without work....

Thats right.
No one is untouchable.

If the business goes bad and you are able to get a redundancy payout, then good on you.

But when it comes to a manager keeping or getting rid of workers....VERY rarely will a manager get rid of a good worker.
If they do, then its more likely the manager is poor, rather than the worker....and that would mean the good worker has been done a favour!
Move onto something better...

Like you said nitro....a good work ethic goes a long way...and 99% of managers recognise this, hence why we aren't seeing mass sackings and the like, that the ALP and the Unions want us to believe.

jb03 said:
I take it you won't be rocking with Barnesy at the 'G on Thursday L'Pool? ;D

While I like Barnesy/Chisel's music.....I don't agree with his views on this topic! ;)
But I'm sure he'll make a few $$$ from people rushing out to buy "Working Class Man" on his 'best of' album......I'm sure he's hoping that this song will become their "anthem for the cause", and hence, put Barnesy back in the spotlight.

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Liverpool said:
While I'm all for people getting paid as much as they can, you have to look at the bigger picture also....something the unions have ignored, and to be honest, the workers have been a bit naive (or selfish?) as well, looking at short-term fixes instead of long-term stability in the workplace.

An example:

Five or six years ago now, at a previous company I worked for, we had to get some brochures printed...a few thousand of them actually.
Got a quote from a printing company in the same street as where we were situated....and then got a quote from a print-firm in Malaysia.
It worked out cheaper to get them manufactured, printed, and shipped from Malaysia to here, than it was to get them Australian made, 2 blocks up the road!

Now, the employees at that print-firm up the road might have been on o.k wages compared to the people in Malaysia....however, that printing company up the road does not exist now.

Then we also have situations like Ajax Fasteners, where they have gone bust, and it's going to affect the employees of Holden/Ford, etc.
I heard on the radio this morning from the Union saying they are angry that the car manufacturers aren't committing themselves to buying from Ajax in the future, to save the 200-odd jobs at Ajax.
But Holden/Ford have a responsibility to THEIR shareholders, and if its not in THEIR best interests, then why should they commit to Ajax?
If they can get the fasteners from overseas, for cheaper.....and Ajax have gone bust due to many factors, but one would be employee demands/wages, encouraged by the unions, then, why should Holden/Ford be embroiled in all this?
The only way I think Holden or Ford would get involved if it started to affect their production, turnover, and their own employees...then they might come up with a rescue package or something, but that will only be a short term answer.
I'm sure in the next day or two, we'll hear the union blaming the new IR laws for whats happened... ::)

Another thing Bracksy keeps bleating on about..... :mad:...the IR laws have NOTHING TO DO with him winning the election!!!
These new IR laws gotten the blame for just about everything under the sun, but where are the mass sackings?
I haven't seen mass protests from all the workers who have been sacked under the new laws.

Whilst you argue your thoughts well Liverpool I feel you are addressing the symptoms not the cause of Australian Companies folding under the strain of overseas products.

I have been involved in providing systems to manufactures in Australia for some time now - computer systems! During a lunch in the cafeteria with the chairman of the board with one of these large companies I too put forward the arguement of the cost of manuafacturing in Australia is far greater than the cost of manufacturing in Asia due to the wages variance in both countries.

He chuckled at me and said I have been swallowing the Chamber of Manufactures spin - he went on to tell me that the cost of wages in his plant here in Sydney was 6.75% of his total cost of manufacturing - in Asian Countries it is 6.67% of the total cost of manufacturing.

So I asked where is the cost differential that forces the Australian made product to be more expensive - he floored me with the answer (which I subsequently verified through accountants I use) - he said that just over 49% of his total cost of manufacturing can be attributed to statute law. In other simpler words - TAXES - Local, State and Federal.

Our private sector is paying enormous rates of taxes to support a 3 tiered Government System for just 22m people - we are over governed to buggery and this comes at a huge cost to taxpaying companies. When I thought about it there are Local Government Rates and Taxes on the land a manufacturer uses/owns - State Payroll Taxes - Federal Company Taxes, GST, Stevadoring and other hidden gems too like Fringe Benefits Tax - the list is mind boggling.

And what do these companies get in return for these taxes - public leaders of poor quality like Stephen Bracks and co.

Further proof of being over taxed is look at the difference between buying a new house in Sydney and other capital cities in Australia - everbody says its the market price and the Federal Government GST that forces the price up - figures recently relased by the ABS show that in fact on a new house in the outer suburbs of Sydney valued at $500k there are $150k paid in various taxes to the bloody ALP State Government.

Also in this great state we pay a land tax on any investment property we own - my mother-in-law owns a beach house in the northern suburbs of Sydney which she purchased in the 1970's - the land value is now around $3m - her land taxes to the State Government which are over and above the normal Water Rates and Taxes for the Local Shire Council, are $28,000 per year - she needs a bloody lot of rent just to cover the tax. I myself bought a beach house on the south coast of NSW back in 1993 - I was paying around $1,500 per annum in Land Taxes to the State Government - in 13 years that tax has increased to $13,989 pa.

The solution is simple to define but logistically difficult to introduce - plus it will cost a lot of votes at election time - we need a dramatic shift in the number of people working in the public sector towards the Private Sector - this would disrupt a number of lives for about 36 to 60 months but the result would be a more cost effective (meaning less taxes) 2 tiered government structure for Australia and more productive companies and workforce leading to a greater GNP - more wealth to spread around.

Don't get me wrong there are many good hard working public servants - I know thousands of them as I deal with them daily - but the private sector into the future will not be able to afford the taxes to pay them - there will have to be a paradigm shift from public servant jobs to private sector Australian Revenue Earning jobs. OR the Public Sector will have to take on Infrastructure Projects and charge the uses to pay for them..........IMO its not the worker or the unions or the company bosses - its the taxes that a sinking this country.............

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Liverpool said:
Liverpool atm 85% of workers are still under their current[old] EBA.ATM the most vulnerable under these new laws are ones from small buissness,s[Cafe workers etc etc].Where i work we were lucky enough to get a legal deed written and under the safe umbrella of the state govt we were able to keep our existing conditions thanks to the state Govt and our union.
I feel sorry for our kids.Imagine going up to your new boss and trying to negotiate a contract when you have no solid ground to fall back on.Exploitation 101 will be Little Jonny,s legacy :mad:

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
nitrotiger said:

Plenty of work on the mine's out here Nitro!

tigerdave

Feb 1, 2006
tigerdave said:
nitrotiger said:

Plenty of work on the mine's out here Nitro!

Stinking F***cking hot though!

nitrotiger

Sep 9, 2005
Just gettin over a compressed disk in me bloody back Tigerdave otherwise Id be there NOW!
Thats why Im cross and cranky.....
Now to these bloody unionists.......geez its a pity ya dont need a license to be a parent........
these unionist clowns are now tellin their rank and file(or defiled)
TO BRING THEIR KIDS ALONG!
Jesus Mary ans St Joseph!What purpose is that gonna serve?
What a bunch of tryhard desperate faggots.......thats like forcin ya kids to barrack for the same team you follow.......
I luv democracy.....but somntimes ya just gotta wonder at peoples mentality.......
The poor bloody diggers and servicemen who served our country through 2 world wars with bravery and distinction must be pleadin with God to give em their lives and youth back so they can go and sort out these cretins............ :-[

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
RemoteTiger said:
Whilst you argue your thoughts well Liverpool I feel you are addressing the symptoms not the cause of Australian Companies folding under the strain of overseas products.

I have been involved in providing systems to manufactures in Australia for some time now - computer systems! During a lunch in the cafeteria with the chairman of the board with one of these large companies I too put forward the arguement of the cost of manuafacturing in Australia is far greater than the cost of manufacturing in Asia due to the wages variance in both countries.

He chuckled at me and said I have been swallowing the Chamber of Manufactures spin - he went on to tell me that the cost of wages in his plant here in Sydney was 6.75% of his total cost of manufacturing - in Asian Countries it is 6.67% of the total cost of manufacturing.

So I asked where is the cost differential that forces the Australian made product to be more expensive - he floored me with the answer (which I subsequently verified through accountants I use) - he said that just over 49% of his total cost of manufacturing can be attributed to statute law. In other simpler words - TAXES - Local, State and Federal.

Our private sector is paying enormous rates of taxes to support a 3 tiered Government System for just 22m people - we are over governed to buggery and this comes at a huge cost to taxpaying companies. When I thought about it there are Local Government Rates and Taxes on the land a manufacturer uses/owns - State Payroll Taxes - Federal Company Taxes, GST, Stevadoring and other hidden gems too like Fringe Benefits Tax - the list is mind boggling.

And what do these companies get in return for these taxes - public leaders of poor quality like Stephen Bracks and co.

Further proof of being over taxed is look at the difference between buying a new house in Sydney and other capital cities in Australia - everbody says its the market price and the Federal Government GST that forces the price up - figures recently relased by the ABS show that in fact on a new house in the outer suburbs of Sydney valued at $500k there are $150k paid in various taxes to the bloody ALP State Government.

Also in this great state we pay a land tax on any investment property we own - my mother-in-law owns a beach house in the northern suburbs of Sydney which she purchased in the 1970's - the land value is now around $3m - her land taxes to the State Government which are over and above the normal Water Rates and Taxes for the Local Shire Council, are $28,000 per year - she needs a bloody lot of rent just to cover the tax. I myself bought a beach house on the south coast of NSW back in 1993 - I was paying around $1,500 per annum in Land Taxes to the State Government - in 13 years that tax has increased to $13,989 pa.

The solution is simple to define but logistically difficult to introduce - plus it will cost a lot of votes at election time - we need a dramatic shift in the number of people working in the public sector towards the Private Sector - this would disrupt a number of lives for about 36 to 60 months but the result would be a more cost effective (meaning less taxes) 2 tiered government structure for Australia and more productive companies and workforce leading to a greater GNP - more wealth to spread around.

Don't get me wrong there are many good hard working public servants - I know thousands of them as I deal with them daily - but the private sector into the future will not be able to afford the taxes to pay them - there will have to be a paradigm shift from public servant jobs to private sector Australian Revenue Earning jobs. OR the Public Sector will have to take on Infrastructure Projects and charge the uses to pay for them..........IMO its not the worker or the unions or the company bosses - its the taxes that a sinking this country.............

RemoteTiger,
Interesting post....I think a lot has to do with what industry you're in as well.

One of my early jobs was to run a factory....3 shifts, 24 hours a day production, 30+ workers.
We churned out plastic components by the thousands.
Then the workers assembled these components into a final product, packed them, and we sent them to the warehouse.

A production worker back then cost, gee, about $40,000 per year, taking into account wages, super, medicals, and any other add-ons.

One of these products made by us might cost the consumer $10 a pop....included in that was manufacturing costs (raw-materials, power for the machines, labour, etc) and then and some margin onto it, and you have your $10.

By reducing the production-line by 5 workers and getting those products imported in from China.....we immediately saved $200,000 per year on wages, etc.....we saved money on our machines, as all of a sudden we weren't making as much, and therefore, less maintenance to carry out on them.
Less costs on ordering raw-materials, less costs on power and water to keep the machines running for that time we would have had to make the goods.

With these savings, and getting the products made offshore, we were then able to drop the price to the consumer (while keeping the same margin), say down to $8....therefore gaining more of the market (as well as keeping our margin), more consumers buying our other products, and with no extra work (less if anything) from us here in Melbourne.

I'm not with that company any more, and last year I heard they were down to 7 production workers, and only a handful of products were still made by them...everything else had been shipped offshore to China and Taiwan.
They still kept a bare minimum of staff manufacturing goods here, so the company could still be classed as an "Australian-made manufacturer" and able to get tax-breaks.

But its no surprise to see why so much manufacturing from here gets moved offshore....and while I don't know your industry, and can't comment with any certainty whatsoever....the bloke you chatted to in the cafeteria might say the wages affecting the company are only 6.75%...but its the other off-shoots as well, such as power, maintenance, and also "research".

Like we might churn out, say 10,000+ per day of a certain product, but in China, there are factories there where the workers live on-site....they churn products out at 3 times the amount....so instead of the sales team saying "we're waiting on production to make them", and dealing with customers who might go elsewhere....you get a bulk-shipment or 3 into your stock, from China and you're right for a month or two, which means "happy customers".
For us at the time to match those type of production numbers, we would have had to invest in new machines, even robotics, which would have meant more workers given the arse anyway.

I guess the final question is....that product was $10 to buy and is now $8 to buy.....so its cheaper for the consumer....so by sacrificing jobs, everyone can buy cheaper goods......is it worth it?

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
nitrotiger said:
Just gettin over a compressed disk in me bloody back Tigerdave otherwise Id be there NOW!
Now to these bloody unionists.......geez its a pity ya dont need a license to be a parent........
What a bunch of tryhard desperate faggots.......thats like forcin ya kids to barrack for the same team you follow.......
I luv democracy.....but somntimes ya just gotta wonder at peoples mentality.......
The poor bloody diggers and servicemen who served our country through 2 world wars with bravery and distinction must be pleadin with God to give em their lives and youth back so they can go and sort out these cretins............ :-[

I remember the picket down at the stevedores there a few years back...and people there with kids.
Kids do not know anything about what is going on and the politics, so why do they do that?
Its the same with peope taking kids along to G20, S11, and other protests that could so easily escalate into violence.
Its a type of "brainwashing" nearly!

tigerdave

Feb 1, 2006
nitrotiger said:
Now to these bloody unionists.......geez its a pity ya  dont need a license to be a parent........
The poor bloody diggers  and servicemen who served our country through 2 world wars with bravery and distinction must be pleadin with God to give em their lives and youth back so they can go and sort out  these cretins............ :-[

Sorry about the compressed disc nitro! Keep the chin up mate.Yeah, what a load of tripe.Get used to it & move on.Your posts are without doubt the funniest & most anticipated to read.Luv it!

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
Liverpool said:
RemoteTiger,
Interesting post....I think a lot has to do with what industry you're in as well.

One of my early jobs was to run a factory....3 shifts, 24 hours a day production, 30+ workers.
We churned out plastic components by the thousands.
Then the workers assembled these components into a final product, packed them, and we sent them to the warehouse.

A production worker back then cost, gee, about $40,000 per year, taking into account wages, super, medicals, and any other add-ons.

One of these products made by us might cost the consumer $10 a pop....included in that was manufacturing costs (raw-materials, power for the machines, labour, etc) and then and some margin onto it, and you have your $10.

By reducing the production-line by 5 workers and getting those products imported in from China.....we immediately saved $200,000 per year on wages, etc.....we saved money on our machines, as all of a sudden we weren't making as much, and therefore, less maintenance to carry out on them.
Less costs on ordering raw-materials, less costs on power and water to keep the machines running for that time we would have had to make the goods.

With these savings, and getting the products made offshore, we were then able to drop the price to the consumer (while keeping the same margin), say down to $8....therefore gaining more of the market (as well as keeping our margin), more consumers buying our other products, and with no extra work (less if anything) from us here in Melbourne.

I'm not with that company any more, and last year I heard they were down to 7 production workers, and only a handful of products were still made by them...everything else had been shipped offshore to China and Taiwan.
They still kept a bare minimum of staff manufacturing goods here, so the company could still be classed as an "Australian-made manufacturer" and able to get tax-breaks.

But its no surprise to see why so much manufacturing from here gets moved offshore....and while I don't know your industry, and can't comment with any certainty whatsoever....the bloke you chatted to in the cafeteria might say the wages affecting the company are only 6.75%...but its the other off-shoots as well, such as power, maintenance, and also "research".

Like we might churn out, say 10,000+ per day of a certain product, but in China, there are factories there where the workers live on-site....they churn products out at 3 times the amount....so instead of the sales team saying "we're waiting on production to make them", and dealing with customers who might go elsewhere....you get a bulk-shipment or 3 into your stock, from China and you're right for a month or two, which means "happy customers".
For us at the time to match those type of production numbers, we would have had to invest in new machines, even robotics, which would have meant more workers given the arse anyway.

I guess the final question is....that product was $10 to buy and is now $8 to buy.....so its cheaper for the consumer....so by sacrificing jobs, everyone can buy cheaper goods......is it worth it?

And if everyone had that attitude then there would be no one working to be able to buy the $8 product.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
Liverpool, in your plastic components example: were the 20+ workers who were laid off able to find employment with a competitor? Did they possess complementary skills or were they able to acquire other skills through training that then allowed them to find employment with remuneration similar to what they received for making the plastic things?

In any case, it is the casualised and underemployed workforce employed in the service sector who will bear the brunt of the workplace changes.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I think unions have their place in some industries. I used to work for a large company where, if the union wasn't there, management would have screwed everyone over badly. They did try anyway. I now work for a much smaller company, and am more affected by these new workplace laws than most, but I'm not in a union or feel the need to be. In fact, my boss (part owner of the company) encouraged us to join the rally. He hates the howard government more than you would expect a business owner to.
A lot of people are saying we need to be competitive against overseas companies. Against what? Countries where the annual wage is less per year than what we earn monthly (or weekly in some cases)? Countries where people work 12-16 hours per day, every day (and sleep on site as pointed out previously)? Countries where OH & S laws don't exist? I bet anyone who has said we need to be competitive against the likes of China, Thailand etc isn't prepared to accept the same wages and conditions as they have over there. In fact, it's not a matter of accepting, nobody could survive on those wages and conditions in Australia. We are lucky to live in a first world country with first world conditions. We shouldn't have to give all that up because people say we have to be competitive with deplorable conditions.
My rant for the day over. Thank you. :)

RemoteTiger

Woof!
Jul 29, 2004
Legends of 1980 said:
We are lucky to live in a first world country with first world conditions. We shouldn't have to give all that up because people say we have to be competitive with deplorable conditions.
My rant for the day over. Thank you. :)

That is not a rant Lo1980 - its exactly the way it should be - those in Government and Chambers of Commerce and Chambers of Manufacturing who say we have to be competitive with our Asian counterparts are intimating to remain viable and in existence we have to compete and do so we have to look at our costs. Wages being one of those costs - government taxes are another. However IMO they are in fact saying we want to take a bigger slice of the market so we can make more profits for the Shareholdes and then the senior management can get paid over-the-top annual salaries, but oh to do this you the worker has to suffer less wages. Then they add that if we don't do this we will go out of business - which is another way of saying I will take my capital elsewhere if you do not do as I say.

Clever companies that I have contracted to (and I admit I have done this myself when I owned a computer software company) have aligned all remuneration within the company to the gross profit of the company - not the share price but the actual annual trading profit returned - excluding capital expenditures on future projects etc. Employees are provided with monthly "wages/salaries" that cover their basic needs such as mortgage/rent food clothing running a car kids education and entertainment expenses (each employee was asked to supply how much they actually needed to exist) then on the quarterly figures each employee was also given a share in that quarters profits.

This scheme at first caused an undertone of discontent until they recieved their first share of the profits - and was roundly accepted come tax return time when each and every employee earned over 150% of the annual "award" wage. Share the risk share the profit - if the unions could get away from the concept of a dollar value for an hour worked and got to the concept of sharing the risk and profit then I believe Australian companies could not only compete on the world stage but Australians could also maintain if not better their current life style.

My business partner and I also gave as employee bonuses shares in company - so when we sold the company the employees also shared in the capital gain. This gave them further incentive to invest their skills and resources into the company. In the end my business partner and I believe we got a far greater return on our capital investment than if we had taken the usual route of just paying "award" wages. 

The flaw with this style of employee remuneration is that the management and the employees have to trust the accounting that defines the Gross Trading Profit - I fear some unscrupulous managers may rob those employees who do not understand accounting procedures.

Another flaw is how do you apply these profit princples to non-profit organisations like Government Departments, Charities (The chefs at Red Cross meals on wheels for example)

There has to be a shift in the way Australian Companies do business - and those that look after their workforce will succeed those that treat them as a cost will always struggle and in the end fail. Employees will have to shift their thinking too - those that value the company and put the company profits first - sharing the risk will benefit and grow with the company....