Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Wow!! That is a big call David.
I see both of those a a very important part of our forward line setup.
We can have six forwards. Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin, Bolton and now Cotchin is five. Who fills the empty spot? We have Miller, Castagna, Rioli and Cumberland training as forwards, plus a number of others.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
We can have six forwards. Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin, Bolton and now Cotchin is five. Who fills the empty spot?
Cotchin's role will probably be similar to late last year, (when we had Sonsie and Ross spending a bit of time in the middle), where he started forward then moved up to stoppages after the bounce. I remember seeing Jack Riewoldt talk about Cotch playing that role because we had more depth in the midfield.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I really hope the ball comes out quickly and cleanly. With us doing the quick clean clearances into our forward line. Be great to see our defenders being paid to do stuff all.
Correct.
Quick, easy goals are good goals.
We fought far too hard for our goals last year whilst the opposition got far too many quick, direct goals through winning centre clearance.
It’s our turn.

Reactions: 6 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Last season particularly late, I felt that Noah was having trouble seeing the ball from a distance.
It was as if a 50 meter pass was only sighted in the last 15. Seemingly as a consequence he was caught out of position when going …. and he didn’t improve as the season went on.

I have seen him in civvy street in glasses.
Was there an issue, or was I seeing things?
He has always worn glasses and contacts I suspect.

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Cotchin's role will probably be similar to late last year, (when we had Sonsie and Ross spending a bit of time in the middle), where he started forward then moved up to stoppages after the bounce. I remember seeing Jack Riewoldt talk about Cotch playing that role because we had more depth in the midfield.
Sure, but that still doesn't allow for extra players to be on the ground. Surely we wouldn't be rotating two specialty forwards off the bench. A full-strength team doesn't have room for both Rioli and Cumberland, unless someone unexpected is going to play on a wing.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Correct.
Quick, easy goals are good goals.
We fought far too hard for our goals last year whilst the opposition got far too many quick, direct goals through winning centre clearance.
It’s our turn.
we were the highest scoring team in the comp last year so our scoring is pretty sound. Our defence needs to tighten up considerably if we want to contend, and hopefully having the two new mids in will strengthen us all over the ground

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Sure, but that still doesn't allow for extra players to be on the ground. Surely we wouldn't be rotating two specialty forwards off the bench. A full-strength team doesn't have room for both Rioli and Cumberland, unless someone unexpected is going to play on a wing.
yeh i agree one of those two unfortunately may miss. it's going to be really interesting to see what our set up looks like come intraclub and the practice matches. of course, injuries will change what our best 22 looks like but if everyone is fit there will be some seriously stiff players (i know we say that every year but this year in particular that will be the case).

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
We can have six forwards. Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin, Bolton and now Cotchin is five. Who fills the empty spot? We have Miller, Castagna, Rioli and Cumberland training as forwards, plus a number of others.
Suppose this is a lovely dilemma to have.
Personally, I would exclude Castagna. IMHO he is the worst of the other 4 you mention
You did not mention MRJ, who has shown some real class.

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Suppose this is a lovely dilemma to have.
Personally, I would exclude Castagna. IMHO he is the worst of the other 4 you mention
You did not mention MRJ, who has shown some real class.
I'd have Cotchin probably coming off the bench in short high impact bursts. Keep his body fresh for the year, because when he's got high levels of energy, he's lethal.
I'd have Miller on bench as a relief ruck/forward and MRJ and Cumberland starting.

Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Sounds like there is definite tactical tweaks coming. I suppose with Taranto & Hopper joining plus a fit Dusty there was always going to be.

Pleased to hear Balta is back in great shape and being left down back. That’s his role.

Short & Baker play for sure but what roles. And MJR, if fit plays every week, his pressure numbers and scores created via pressure were league-leading and almost record-setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Bourke30JC33

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
The departure of Houli and Astbury had a far greater impact than envisaged on paper.
Triple premiership defenders.
As I wrote early on, Balta and Baker had to revert to defence.
Baker's unique genius is as a ground ball stopper.
The injury to Gibcus means Balta is essential as a mobile defender.
Obviously the latest emphasis in recruitment is to build up midfield.
Perhaps Dusty in a break-through Leigh Matthews type forward role.
Trent's strength and genius is as a ball winner from the pack.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Last season particularly late, I felt that Noah was having trouble seeing the ball from a distance.
It was as if a 50 meter pass was only sighted in the last 15. Seemingly as a consequence he was caught out of position when going …. and he didn’t improve as the season went on.

I have seen him in civvy street in glasses.
Was there an issue, or was I seeing things?

Interesting theory, were they night games?

I know guys with contacts have said before they find night games much tougher.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Maybe we need to get Balta in the Geoff Blethyms?
I don't think glasses would make a positive difference over contacts. Contacts are actually better at correcting for astigmatism. I think it's just a by-product of less light, it messes with the depth perception and judgement of a ball in flight a tad.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
*And it makes it harder to see into the distance. So one can be slower to react to events 150 metres away because they're not as clear.

tony_montana

Tiger Rookie
Aug 15, 2018
Last year we trialled a possession game and gave up on it 8 weeks in. By that time we’d lost momentum. We went back to the chaos system and if not for an injured Martin/Lynch, we would have ended up 4th or better.
I also don’t really believe our defence was leaking. It was being bombared by this new stand rule. Defenders cant put pressure on the half forwards/mids who were able to pin point passes deep in the forward line. This was happening because we were losing centre clearances. Hence the targeted recruitments of inside mids. The ball won’t be coming out so quickly and cleanly. Watch our defenders perform better.
Whilst I don’t disagree with the gist of your post, we’re one of the best centre clearance sides in the comp. Funny bc that doesn’t correlate to clearances around the ground

• Wow

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
2 things of note, there's an extra on the bench now so all those who can play fwd can play, Cotch IMO will start on bench & be used as a burst player.

On our defence, we were 9th for pts conceeded last yr. Improving our clearances around the ground with our recruits should help get the ball fwd not going down back. Plus we also got Rutten to sort this area out. Getting up to top 3 for pts against needs to be the target as this is generally where the Premiers come from.

Reactions: 5 users