Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Really appreciate your reports Caesar! Can you describe what the dreaded shuttle consists of?

The best I can describe the shuttles is gut busting, cones are set up about the width of the centre square apart which would be maybe 40 to 50m. Players line up then basically have to sprint back and forth between those cones 3 times, 30 sec break and then go again, I think they did this 5 to 6 times. Most players are gasping after each rep.
Obviously suits those with a good tanks and players known for repeat efforts in games.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Santa has come early! Would the shuttle run give you an idea of MRJ’s chances to play games next year, or is it not that relevant? He looks sharp and likeable in the RFC website, just wondering how much I should temper expectations early on :D
Look MRJ is exciting but is a long term project, he will need to be able to apply repeat efforts, (albeit just in the forward line), to warrant a game.
He is under no pressure to play a game next year, just be patient and see where the journey takes him.
You can see he is a massive positive for the group though.
His body shape is also much improved from 12 - 18 months ago.

Reactions: 6 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
The best I can describe the shuttles is gut busting, cones are set up about the width of the centre square apart which would be maybe 40 to 50m. Players line up then basically have to sprint back and forth between those cones 3 times, 30 sec break and then go again, I think they did this 5 to 6 times. Most players are gasping after each rep.
Obviously suits those with a good tanks and players known for repeat efforts in games.
Thanks Caesar...pretty intensive!

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Reality Bites;): The dreaded shuttle found out poor young MRJ but every player to a man came up and gave him either a pat on the back or a cuddle and said welcome to the big league son!
He'll be right.... has a case of PPSD.... (Post Plovatic Stress Disorder).
You da man @caesar. .. looking forward to your 2021 covid normal reports... Merry xmas mate:)

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Hmm sounds like a good exercise if a team intended to burst hard from defensive 50 at pace. Or sprint back defensively to guard space.

If a only a team based it's game plan on that....

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

NZtiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2008
Wellington
'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas' :)

Ok it's been a couple of training days since I posted, look I haven't really been feeling the vibe this pre-season until today, it was like a cloud had been lifted.

So much love, so much voice, so much laughter and so much encouragement which had been strangely missing until today.

So as players head for their Christmas break so the last 2020 training report is penned.

I'll start with what we all know a lot of these boys should be playing AFL footy the reality is many will still need to bide their time.

Love Love Love: This young bloke's personality is infectious, the loudest and most encouraging on the track, 196cm and blitzed the other big men in the shuttle today his name is Bigoa Nuyon. Can he play footy? don't know but i love him.
Smoothest Mover: Hugo, killed the shuttles today and has taken all before him in the endurance runs, looks a player without actually having seen him play in a contested 18 on 18 game, has he added kg's to his frame and does he possess the defensive aspects Dimma would require?.
Reality Bites;): The dreaded shuttle found out poor young MRJ but every player to a man came up and gave him either a pat on the back or a cuddle and said welcome to the big league son!
On the road to redemption?: Now I have been a massive sceptic on whether CJ would have the desire to redeem himself at Richmond and how he would be received back into the fold, he was back in full training with the boys today and the interaction with the boys which included Nank, who has been hitting the tack this week, is very encouraging. Just needs to kick an off field habit to succeed.
Adonis returns: Noah Balta made an appearance just to show everyone what a perfect physical specimen looks like:)
Rehabing: Lambo, Cumberland, Garth. Lambo has progressed to sprinting, probably at 80%, and running copious amounts of laps accompanied by Cumberland.
Midfield: Basically just putting in the miles ready for the proper pre-season post Christmas, any number could no doubt slot right in.

My Christmas Wish: Is to see RCD exploding from the centre square at some stage next year.

MERRY XMAS ONE & ALL
Thanks again Caesar. Merry Christmas to you!

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

Ok it's been a couple of training days since I posted, look I haven't really been feeling the vibe this pre-season until today, it was like a cloud had been lifted.

So much love, so much voice, so much laughter and so much encouragement which had been strangely missing until today.

So as players head for their Christmas break so the last 2020 training report is penned.

I'll start with what we all know a lot of these boys should be playing AFL footy the reality is many will still need to bide their time.

Love Love Love: This young bloke's personality is infectious, the loudest and most encouraging on the track, 196cm and blitzed the other big men in the shuttle today his name is Bigoa Nuyon. Can he play footy? don't know but i love him.
Smoothest Mover: Hugo, killed the shuttles today and has taken all before him in the endurance runs, looks a player without actually having seen him play in a contested 18 on 18 game, has he added kg's to his frame and does he possess the defensive aspects Dimma would require?.
On the road to redemption?: Now I have been a massive sceptic on whether CJ would have the desire to redeem himself at Richmond and how he would be received back into the fold, he was back in full training with the boys today and the interaction with the boys which included Nank, who has been hitting the tack this week, is very encouraging. Just needs to kick an off field habit to succeed.
Adonis returns: Noah Balta made an appearance just to show everyone what a perfect physical specimen looks like:)
Rehabing: Lambo, Cumberland, Garth. Lambo has progressed to sprinting, probably at 80%, and running copious amounts of laps accompanied by Cumberland.
Midfield: Basically just putting in the miles ready for the proper pre-season post Christmas, any number could no doubt slot right in.

My Christmas Wish: Is to see RCD exploding from the centre square at some stage next year.

MERRY XMAS ONE & ALL

great to hear Caesar - can’t wait for season 2021 - so much to look forward to

Reactions: 1 users

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
List of non-drafted boys who will train with us (Green is brother of Tom Green./Grandson of Michael Green):

RICHMOND
Nicholas Couroupis (West Adelaide)
Joshua Green (Marist AFC)
Rhyan Mansell (Woodville-West Torrens)
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (Richmond)

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Really ?
If you can’t get you act off the field right , don’t expect his onfield performance to be great . End of story !
Maybe that's why I was such a *smile* footballer. Spent the last fifty odd years getting my act wrong :)).
It can't really be that though, there's been hundreds of premium footballers struggle to get their official perfect human act right over the years. Might be a bit harder to fudge these days in such a professional era and with monstrous commercial and public media scrutiny.

That challenge for Stacka to become a good person with values reeks to me of one a Colonwood president made many years ago. Pretty sure his club got boned for it.

There's been plenty of young blokes with a seemingly privileged background struggled to cope with the professionalism and expectation of elite performance loaded on them. Kid with a difficult life and home background is gunna have to do double the work to try and adjust to the requirements.

Would love to see Stacka make a career out of his footy, if he doesn't then sadly he'll join the ranks of the coulda, shoulda, woulda. Thankfully we've at least had the pleasure of seeing some of his talent on display at the highest level and will never forget his " sat him down " bump on Viney.

Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

MERRY XMAS ONE & ALL

Cheers Julius, love your work.
Merry Christmas To you & yours

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Thanks Caesar another great report.

Regarding Ralph-Smith this kid has me excited and was the player i wanted at Richmond the most and sensational to see he is coming along well and he has all the tools to become a weapon.

Re : RCD how was his running in the shuttle do you think its improved enough to warrant extended games and at AFL level yet or are we still looking at another 12 months before he is ready to play full games at high intensity.

Re: CCJ How did you find his fitness ? He looks like he has really bulked up and looking like a beast of a man in the training pictures/Clip

Tigermad2005

Tiger Legend
Aug 18, 2004
Ballarat
List of non-drafted boys who will train with us (Green is brother of Tom Green./Grandson of Michael Green):

RICHMOND
Nicholas Couroupis (West Adelaide)
Joshua Green (Marist AFC)
Rhyan Mansell (Woodville-West Torrens)
Derek Eggmolesse-Smith (Richmond)
So what do we know about these boys?

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
Hope we get Josh Green to entice Tom from GWS at the end of the year

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks Caesar another great report.

Regarding Ralph-Smith this kid has me excited and was the player i wanted at Richmond the most and sensational to see he is coming along well and he has all the tools to become a weapon.

Re : RCD how was his running in the shuttle do you think its improved enough to warrant extended games and at AFL level yet or are we still looking at another 12 months before he is ready to play full games at high intensity.

Re: CCJ How did you find his fitness ? He looks like he has really bulked up and looking like a beast of a man in the training pictures/Clip

Viewing Hugo in some compromised scratch matches earlier this year I can see what you're excited about, looks a multiple position player, drafted as a forward but they also used him wing and half back to maximize his tremendous athleticism, (top-10 performances in the 20m sprint, vertical jump and the 2km time trial at combine).

Also like a bit of confidence in a kid, this is what he said in his interview with Adrian Dodoro:

Adrian: Are you going to be an ok AFL player, a good player or a great player?
Hugo: “I’ll be a great player,” he states confidently.
Adrian: How great? What will they say about you in this draft in five years' time?
Hugo: “They’ll look back and say I should have been a top-10 pick."

Above is an excerpt from A Dad's Diary to Hugo being drafted:

Riley and shuttles, it is certainly not his strong suit, (neither is it Dusty's), but as long as he is able to improve in this area all bodes well, I think he has but will reserve judgement until all the group is back to see if he's closed the gap. Doesn't dampen my want to see him crack a game at some point next year.

CCJ: It was not his fitness that was encouraging it was his demeanor and those around him. CJ had a foot stress fracture last year and in pre-season was doing more rehab type running until joining main group yesterday suggesting he will be good to go Jan 6 when all return.

Reactions: 12 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Viewing Hugo in some compromised scratch matches earlier this year I can see what you're excited about, looks a multiple position player, drafted as a forward but they also used him wing and half back to maximize his tremendous athleticism, (top-10 performances in the 20m sprint, vertical jump and the 2km time trial at combine).

Also like a bit of confidence in a kid, this is what he said in his interview with Adrian Dodoro:

Adrian: Are you going to be an ok AFL player, a good player or a great player?
Hugo: “I’ll be a great player,” he states confidently.
Adrian: How great? What will they say about you in this draft in five years' time?
Hugo: “They’ll look back and say I should have been a top-10 pick."

Above is an excerpt from A Dad's Diary to Hugo being drafted:

Riley and shuttles, it is certainly not his strong suit, (neither is it Dusty's), but as long as he is able to improve in this area all bodes well, I think he has but will reserve judgement until all the group is back to see if he's closed the gap. Doesn't dampen my want to see him crack a game at some point next year.

CCJ: It was not his fitness that was encouraging it was his demeanor and those around him. CJ had a foot stress fracture last year and in pre-season was doing more rehab type running until joining main group yesterday suggesting he will be good to go Jan 6 when all return.
Some really great signs there from Huge and i remember reading somewhere or hearing that he had grown a bit and really built his body up since arriving at the club. He was always a good runner and athlete and never lacked confidence to take the game on and had a very nice kick as a 16/17 year old. Hope he really along with RCd has big pre seasons and takes a leap foward.

Nice to hear about CCJ also and he will have time to rehab the foot and has an extra month to get his running in with the way Richmond have developed him i dont think they will rush him with this and just build on the work they have started.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
So what do we know about these boys?

not too much fanfare, but an article on rfc

The description on Rhyan Mansell (a famous Tasmanian name?) are compelling if you scratch the surface.

Played in 4 senior premiership in a row from the age of 17

“Rhyan is a fierce competitor with his leg speed, tackling and kicking a feature of his game. Rhyan is a fantastic young man'

Statistic suggest he had a case for BOG in the latest SANFL premiership? 20 disposals and 5 tackles off a HBF, topped the fantasy points.

looks like a footballer and sounds pretty Richmondy?

we all know the tigers No.2 recruiting rule .....
'if they come from Tasmania and have an 'R' in their initials, you grab 'em

my $$ is on this kid pulling on the jumper

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users