Training For Redemption in 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For Redemption in 2022

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Main Training Today:

Graham :
Trained fully
Shai : Seems to be getting managed week to week didn't really do any footy drills today and was on the periphery and then some time in conditioning/rehab.
Rioli : Another that didn't do much today but not in rehab at all.
Soldo: Most of the session was spent forward.
Stack and Gibcus : Put on a show on the speccy bag, I gave the points to Syd though.
Miller : Clunking his marks which was my number one want from him, (seems high on confidence at the moment).
Biggie : Was an absentee today.

Mate`: I was surprised that he participated in 100% of drills with main group and then a bit more work after too. Seemed to move pretty well for his size and ok below his knees. He is not a jumper and struggled a bit with getting elevation on the impact bag in both rucking and marking. He is not a clunker when it comes to marking and has poor technique on occasions, (hands facing down), Ivvy took him aside to give him a masterclass in how to position his hands.
Kicking a bit stilted and goal kicking from 30 meters out from about 10 shots resulted in 3.5 and 2 out the full.

Even though some of the things I mentioned sound negative I walked away thinking there is something to work with.
**Then got home and heard Dimma's presser where he mentioned Mate` and you could see Dimma dreaming if only he could have the same trajectory as Soldo. Even said he could play VFL as early as this week o_O which would be a pleasant surprise but I reckon they might give him an extra week or two to upskill?

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Mate`: I was surprised that he participated in 100% of drills with main group and then a bit more work after too. Seemed to move pretty well for his size and ok below his knees. He is not a jumper and struggled a bit with getting elevation on the impact bag in both rucking and marking. He is not a clunker when it comes to marking and has poor technique on occasions, (hands facing down), Ivvy took him aside to give him a masterclass in how to position his hands.
Kicking a bit stilted and goal kicking from 30 meters out from about 10 shots resulted in 3.5 and 2 out the full.

Even though some of the things I mentioned sound negative I walked away thinking there is something to work with.
**Then got home and heard Dimma's presser where he mentioned Mate` and you could see Dimma dreaming if only he could have the same trajectory as Soldo. Even said he could play VFL as early as this week o_O which would be a pleasant surprise but I reckon they might give him an extra week or two to upskill?

Bit disappointed with this review. I thought he played in a VFL reserves game or intraclub and excited Balmy with his marking and kicking. Maybe i'm mistaken.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
I worked at the club when Soldo arrived, he was beyond horrendous, couldnt do anything, including run, so still hope for Mate.

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Bit disappointed with this review. I thought he played in a VFL reserves game or intraclub and excited Balmy with his marking and kicking. Maybe i'm mistaken.

Look it is the first time I have seen Mate` train, last time he was here i only saw him in rehab I did not see him train or play in any games.
It was reported that supposedly up North in the covid hub he played a game and looked quite good and may have kicked a few goals.
I wouldn't take anything too negative out of my report, I certainly weren't expecting to see exquisite skills first up.
Keep in mind day 1 of Soldo walking in the door, many on here were saying he had no chance of making and were still saying so 3 years into his career but look at him now.
**ps. Mate` looks better than when i first saw Soldo ;)

Reactions: 10 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Question @Ceasar - does mate need to be a jumper at 7 foot 11?

Mason Cox isn't much of a jumper either
No but would be nice if he is able to hit packs hard and clunk them and get off the ground with raised knee into opposition ruckmen, Ivvy is tutoring him on both.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Look it is the first time I have seen Mate` train, last time he was here i only saw him in rehab I did not see him train or play in any games.
It was reported that supposedly up North in the covid hub he played a game and looked quite good and may have kicked a few goals.
I wouldn't take anything too negative out of my report, I certainly weren't expecting to see exquisite skills first up.
Keep in mind day 1 of Soldo walking in the door, many on here were saying he had no chance of making and were still saying so 3 years into his career but look at him now.
**ps. Mate` looks better than when i first saw Soldo ;)
Hope he’s aggressive. Could inflict some serious damage

Reactions: 1 user

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020

Watching Colina’s basketball highlights there were a lot of lay ups and no dunks. So I would think from that he doesn’t have much of a leap at all.

It sounds like from his interview with a Hawaiin dude he is a very decent runner. Being a basketballer he should have good agility. I expect over time his skills should be pretty sound including ball handling. So we should get height + weight + (for a big guy)skill + agility + speed & endurance. But we probably don’t get the skyscraping leap.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
No but would be nice if he is able to hit packs hard and clunk them and get off the ground with raised knee into opposition ruckmen, Ivvy is tutoring him on both.
No better teacher then Ivan played with heart and soul and most of all footy smarts.

Reactions: 3 users