Training | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I worked for an ex VFL player in his sports stores late 80’s early 90’s. Great fella, rough as guts used to tell me how one particular trainer would carry his Marlboro Reds and light one for him at 3/4 time on top of the 2 he had at half time. Mental stuff

Tigers too - there's the classic Robbie McGhie photo sitting on the ground after the '73 GF
But here's Craig McKellar within a minute or so of the siren in that same game
Go to 2:17:09 1973 GF

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Nice 2 hour session but got distracted chatting to someone so haven't got much to give you.

Astbury and Grimes back today.
Nank did a fair bit of work, may be close to joining the main group?.
Basha has cranked up his running, did some warm up drills, but still not with main group.
Shai doing most drills but then breaking off and doing some grappling work with Graham to strengthen their respective shoulders.
Prestia doing 80% of work.

Aarts doing rehab stuff only.

Looks like we will have a pretty healthy list heading up North to their camp next week.

Thanks for the updates.How's young Dow looking and other draftees.Garthwaite looks like he has put size on.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks for the updates.How's young Dow looking and other draftees.Garthwaite looks like he has put size on.

Hugo RalphSmith has been the most eye catching of the new boys, both athletically, marking and footskills.
Martyn has a good engine, (could be a bit one paced?), looks like a footballer though and decent sized body shape, especially the thighs.
Dow is very light neat with his skills, picks up game plan well. Not super quick, (he ran 3.06 sec at combine), but certainly acceptable. By all accounts agility is meant to be elite but hasn't jumped out at me yet.
Cumberland: Has been managed a fair bit so haven't really got a read.
Biggie: His field kicking has been poor to date but early doors.

Will get a better idea when they have a full on match simulation session, (verging on practice match), which they are yet to do.

PS. Am not expecting anything from our picks this year but looking forward to their development as always.

Reactions: 18 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Well from 1994-2007 i ran 3 newsagents in the cbd and the players that i sold smokes to would top 100

Our own Mathew Richardson was a smoker - B & H
S Kernahan - Dunny blues
Ox - Winnie reds

but the strangest was plugger lockett (st Kilda days) Alpine - He smoked bloody menthol smokes

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Well from 1994-2007 i ran 3 newsagents in the cbd and the players that i sold smokes to would top 100

S Kernahan - Dunny blues
Ox - Winnie reds

but the strangest was plugger lockett (st Kilda days) Alpine - He smoked bloody menthol smokes

Nothing wrong with menthol smokes...!

• Haha

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Highly contested session today, a nasty head clash between Broady and Cumberland ended their session early. Not there today Dusty Nank and Prestia only did warm up. Sharpest and cleanest session so far.
Will reserve my judgement after my saying Dow is not necessarily quick? at the end of the session he was in a small group including Grimes and Rioli doing 50 metre sprints and headed them but I am betting the wiley pros may not have been going 100%?. Regardless got a glimpse of the Edwards comparison with Dow in one bit of play today.
Spoke briefly to Fly today and I said I have been impressed with RCD & Stack pre-season so far it appears they have improved their running, he said yes and he was VERY QUICK to add Jack Ross and Kamdyn to the mix saying those that were close and missed out have come back very hungry :clap2
On Kamdyn, he seems to have slimmed down a bit too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

S Kernahan - Dunny blues
Ox - Winnie reds

I love this little tale turk.

The mental picture of Plugger suckin' on an Alpine makes me LOL.

I had an old uncle smoked Alpines. Might have been a weird ballarat thing?

A few of carltons bigger names in those days smoked a little wacky backy too, even before big games, allegedly :cool:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I love this little tale turk.

The mental picture of Plugger suckin' on an Alpine makes me LOL.

I had an old uncle smoked Alpines. Might have been a weird ballarat thing?

A few of carltons bigger names in those days smoked a little wacky backy too, even before big games, allegedly :cool:
I was thinking that the Alpine might have been used as a mix.

• Haha

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Highly contested session today, a nasty head clash between Broady and Cumberland ended their session early. Not there today Dusty Nank and Prestia only did warm up. Sharpest and cleanest session so far.
Will reserve my judgement after my saying Dow is not necessarily quick? at the end of the session he was in a small group including Grimes and Rioli doing 50 metre sprints and headed them but I am betting the wiley pros may not have been going 100%?. Regardless got a glimpse of the Edwards comparison with Dow in one bit of play today.
Spoke briefly to Fly today and I said I have been impressed with RCD & Stack pre-season so far it appears they have improved their running, he said yes and he was VERY QUICK to add Jack Ross and Kamdyn to the mix saying those that were close and missed out have come back very hungry :clap2
On Kamdyn, he seems to have slimmed down a bit too.

Thx for these reports, you still got it mate ;)

Reactions: 3 users

Costanza

Tiger Cub
Jul 14, 2005
Caesar or anyone else.....do you know if the boys are training over the long weekend at any stage? In melbourne with the kids who want to have a look if possible!