Training | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Not arguing as I can imagine its a grind, don't think its all a bed of roses for Nadal and Woods etc either, theres a level of dedication and hard work to be elite and a professional sportsmen, most sports excluding some armature types earn far more than basic wage.

Perhaps its just me and that's fine, but I still don't think of it as work!

I love golf TT but the thought of practicing 6-8 hours a day bores me to tears. Same with any other sport. How much fun do kids in the TAC have with all the training, meetings, diets etc. The sacrifices start early. The rewards are there, but only for a very low % of those that dedicate themselves utterly. And for some that give up everything sometimes the rewards aren't there. Good luck to those that try.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Absolutely no doubt its tough, I played tennis semi professionally for a few years but wasn't good enough to make a decent living and pursued business instead, so I definitely get how competitive and the hard work involved to be an elite sportsman/woman.

But in some ways you probably don't because you likely didn't do the work and make the sacrifices required to make it.

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
Yep, happy to drop a few early in order to be primed when it matters.
Such a better feeling as a club with 100k members that we don’t require the early season hype, etc to drum up numbers.
.......... hmmmmm

So long as we don't drop Round One (versus Carlscum!!!)

.......... it would be unbearable :(

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
.......... hmmmmm

Agreed

By hook or by crook even underdone we have to get over the line in our first 2 games.

First shut up all the sycophants in the media who will be dribbling their pro Carlton BS all week out from the opener and then to put a little hurt on the Figgys in round 2.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
.......... hmmmmm

We ain't losing to Carlton. Doherty hasn't played for 2 years. Mackay isnt training yet and Curnow probably won't even make Rd 1.
Lost to Collingwood in Rd 2-3 last season and we all know how that turned out.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Pretty easy no contact session, ran little over an hour. A bit fumbly.
Looking sharp today, Marlion, Dusty, Stack, Prestia, Lynch.
Of the new boys Hugo stood out today.

The voices were back, ( New Year! No Rance! MOVE ON!!)

Rehab Group: Houli, Nank, Aarts, Oleg

No shows: Astbury and Grimes.

Bearing in mind that it was non contact session it was good to see Prestia, Shai, Graham and Higgo out of rehab post Christmas, only Graham likely to go back to that group when contest stuff in vogue?

PS. Other clubs, ( Collingwood and Carlton) , had over 2 hour game simulation sessions breathing in all that smoke haze, (maybe not so smart?). Anyway they started back late last week whereas today was 1st day back for us.

thanks for the update and happy for the lads to ease into it a bit.

reckon the pressure is on some clubs this year - the blues, pies for sure and add the bumbers and cats also to that list.

Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
There was a general health warning about the smoke haze over Melbourne especially to avoid excessive activity outdoors. This obviously excludes footy players!! But seriously, my office is in Knoxfield and I couldn’t see the Dandy Ranges which are only a few km’s away. It was putrid and surely can’t be good for your lungs? Would have trained them indoors

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Smoke haze aside, it could just be that their seasons finished earlier than ours so obviously they start training back a little earlier to allow for the mandated break time. But, I don't mind hearing of clubs pushing extra hard early in the pre season. Season's a marathon n it's a massive balancing act getting the correct fitness into the players early without breaking them n then managing the whole year while having them primed for finals. Nothing like seeing a few clubs doing a mad sprint for the round one starting line, ya just know they're going to be toast by about round 15 / 18 n gimping their way to the finish line.

Yep, this is so hard to get right, I don't think anyone has a robust solution to the quandary of lasting a whole season and peaking at the right time.

DS

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Actually shocked clubs would do match sim in today's smokey conditions. The EPA (Environment Protection Authority) rated today's air quality in the city as Poor.
Not exactly conducive to the health of professional athletes. Would have thought the medicos would be right across that.

Thanks as ever C.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Smoke haze aside, it could just be that their seasons finished earlier than ours so obviously they start training back a little earlier to allow for the mandated break time. But, I don't mind hearing of clubs pushing extra hard early in the pre season. Season's a marathon n it's a massive balancing act getting the correct fitness into the players early without breaking them n then managing the whole year while having them primed for finals. Nothing like seeing a few clubs doing a mad sprint for the round one starting line, ya just know they're going to be toast by about round 15 / 18 n gimping their way to the finish line.
Seems we did this in '18 & have learned our lesson, Cats didn't learn from us tho as they did the same last yr. timing is everything, get to the the bye there thereabouts & build from there, Premiers peak from around rd 18-20 every yr.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Actually shocked clubs would do match sim in today's smokey conditions. The EPA (Environment Protection Authority) rated today's air quality in the city as Poor.
Not exactly conducive to the health of professional athletes. Would have thought the medicos would be right across that.

Thanks as ever C.

Tigers still enjoying the air of relief in winning the Premiership.
Other teams choking on the air of expectation

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Really? wouldn't of thought you would want him to drop 7kg but he was looking lively

yeah I reckon if stackman was 7kg lighter when he hit Viney, he would've been the one taking a seat.

Reactions: 1 users