Training | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Appears I was on the money. Pies, Saints, kangas, Doggies all trained indoors yesterday due to smoke.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I don't refute that we have this luxury..............

At least we can now understand where the colloquial term comes from:

"White people problems" ................. LOL!!!!

I wonder what the air reading is when I sit by a smoky campfire for 6 hours quenching a hard earned thirst and vainly muttering "white rabbit, white rabbit, white rabbit'

BUT - the latte sippers will say that just makes me a bogan!!!!

LOL!!!!!

Love sitting beside a campfire. Do you try and position your chair to where the smoke is heading or avoid the smoke? I do the latter. Never met anyone who doesn't. Don't drink lattes. I think equating the outflow of a camp fire to that of a real blazing bushfire and the effects of wallowing smog and what it picks up along the way is completely wrong. And I think you under-estimate the potential danger for individuals. People do die. It doesn't focus just on 'white' people. It makes total sense to evaluate conditions before exposing your players/staff/whatever to them if as you say you have the luxury to do so. These conditions are unprecedented across such a large area for so long so early in the summer season (some fires been burning since September). Caution should always be the approach taken. It's not a white person's problem. Check below:

https://www.thedailystar.net/enviro...ngladesh-18000-died-world-bank-report-1634566

Reactions: 2 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
FWIW Professor Mark Taylor is an expert on lead exposure (e.g. Mt Isa and Broken Hill), PFOS (in firefighting foams) and all sorts of contamination issues (e.g. at a RAAF base in Newcastle) so he's well credentialled to talk about this topic (in this case it was the NSW fires last month).

This article draws attention to the particular hazards of small particles and the release of lead into the air when trees burn, so we're not just talking about the exhaust of modern vehicles.

Wildfire smoke is characterised by an abundance of tiny particles that are dominated by soil and carbon – that are less than 2.5 µm (there are 1000 µm in a millimetre) – gases and water vapour.

The key indicator for risk is the concentration of 2.5 µm (PM2.5) because research shows there is no safe level of exposure to this particulate matter. Higher short-term (acute) exposures pose a greater risk, especially for those who have respiratory and/or cardiovascular disease...

Other pollutant exposures during wildfires include the release of trace metals from trees that have been exposed over their lifetime. Our previous research of wildfires has shown that industrial lead from gasoline use is re-released into the environment from ashed Australian trees.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Nice competitive 2 hour session today, one with the lot, shuttles, 200's, scrimmage work, a bit of game simulation. It was more manic than smooth flowing poetry in motion but I suppose that is a bit the way we play.
Loving today: RCD, Stackman, Shai.

Mystery: No Astbury or Grimes this week, wonder if they are Asthmatic and have been told not to train with smoke haze? Add to that Basha still in rehab so half the backline absent this week.

Reactions: 14 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Appears I was on the money. Pies, Saints, kangas, Doggies all trained indoors yesterday due to smoke.

Softkoks.
And they wonder why they're so shiit..
Get out there..
Players in the 70's had Darts at qtr time and played.

• Haha

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Nice competitive 2 hour session today, one with the lot, shuttles, 200's, scrimmage work, a bit of game simulation. It was more manic than smooth flowing poetry in motion but I suppose that is a bit the way we play.
Loving today: RCD, Stackman, Shai.

Mystery: No Astbury or Grimes this week, wonder if they are Asthmatic and have been told not to train with smoke haze? Add to that Basha still in rehab so half the backline absent this week.

what in particular are you liking about RCD mate? Is he training with purpose and authority or are you liking his improvement from last year?

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
what in particular are you liking about RCD mate? Is he training with purpose and authority or are you liking his improvement from last year?

What I like about RCD this pre-season is:

Confidence seems to have flowed on from his VFL GF performance.
Grown into his body, now looks like a baby faced assassin.
Running capacity seems to have improved, (I am not saying elite by any means as he was coming a fair way back re endurance).
All last pre-season and throughout training last year he seemed to have been managed missing several sessions and sitting out a lot of drills, this year there is no holding back

He is my watch for 2020, good odds on me being wrong though:)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney

Running capacity seems to have improved, (I am not saying elite by any means as he was coming a fair way back re endurance).
All last pre-season and throughout training last year he seemed to have been managed missing several sessions and sitting out a lot of drills, this year there is no holding back

Terrifying :oops:

d2ht9l0-0c897246-6d36-4d2d-829a-71e2168bf9a5.jpg

Caesar, will there be a training session next week to take the kids to? Need to show the kids what hard work looks like.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Caesar, will there be a training session next week to take the kids to? Need to show the kids what hard work looks like.

I don't have the inside word on their training schedule but I think this week will be a normal week? Main training days are Monday & Thursday usually starting 9:30. These will be closed sessions but you can still view through the fence either from Punt Road or near the Superstore where there is a bit of cover.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
When is the club due to go to their annual gold coast trip , Did they get the movie world passes for all the kids we now have on the list,New training method - Run to as many rides as you can and make sure dont eat any junk food

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Nice 2 hour session but got distracted chatting to someone so haven't got much to give you.

Astbury and Grimes back today.
Nank did a fair bit of work, may be close to joining the main group?.
Basha has cranked up his running, did some warm up drills, but still not with main group.
Shai doing most drills but then breaking off and doing some grappling work with Graham to strengthen their respective shoulders.
Prestia doing 80% of work.

Aarts doing rehab stuff only.

Looks like we will have a pretty healthy list heading up North to their camp next week.

Reactions: 13 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Feel free @caesar to just edit, copy and paste the following when it happens please!

Astbury and Grimes and Rance back today.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
what's wrong with $hai's shoulders?

Shai had a shoulder clean out and is not yet doing full on contested work, not far away i reckon.

This from December 5 injury report:

Shai Bolton, shoulder

"Right now, Shai is back in the rehab group. It was quite minor shoulder surgery, just a clean-up, and he’ll resume non-contact skills with the group starting next week."

Last edited:

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Softkoks.
And they wonder why they're so shiit..
Get out there..
Players in the 70's had Darts at qtr time and played.

You're quite right, Zipps.
Those were the days where players did smoke during a game, particularly at hal-time down in the rooms.
And I recall back in the day, the 1970s, the "Galloping Gasometer", North Melbourne's enormous ruckman Mick Nolan, used to consume six steamed dim sims (with soy sauce) at three-quarter time.
Sam Newman has shared a story where the Geelong players while resting on the canvas tarp on the ground at three-quarter time would pass the bottle of brandy around and take slugs.
And I remember the days in the late seventies freely wandering down into the change rooms after a match (those were the days!) and seeing all sorts of Richmond stars sucking down ciggies while chugging on cans of beer, with nothing more than a towel wrapped around their waists.

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I’ve heard some ripper stories about the Australian cricket team after matches.

I won’t give the story justice, but after a one day game at the SCG the Australian team gets stuck into the beers and stay back late. Brett Lee, Hodge and a couple of other players decided to have a nudey race across the SCG ground, army crawl under the tarp covering the wicket, over to the other side, tap the fence and back.
Brett lee won by a mile and Hodge got caught up under the tarp and was yelling for help. Grounds manager had to get him out.

Last edited:

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I worked for an ex VFL player in his sports stores late 80’s early 90’s. Great fella, rough as guts used to tell me how one particular trainer would carry his Marlboro Reds and light one for him at 3/4 time on top of the 2 he had at half time. Mental stuff