Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

I've just recently went on a tour of Scandinavia with a week stay in London at the end of the tour.
With the technology we have at our disposal these days it was a lot easier than last time I went to Europe to keep up to date with the footy scores. I decided that seeing I was on holidays and was over the other side of the world that I would disconnect from work, family and friends as much as possible and only give out the number for the travel sim I got to a few close family and friends and disable email notifications, when I wanted to check up on news etc from home I would connect to wifi at the hotels we were staying in.
While waiting at Oslo airport for our flight to London I decided to check my emails just in case there was anything from the hotel or shuttle services in London on there and I must of somehow turned notifications back on.
Anyway we land at Heathrow terminal 2 and had to make our way to terminal 3 to meet our airport transfer ,anyone that's been to Heathrow will tell you it makes Tullamarine seem like a bus stop. So we finally get through all the chaos we find a seat to sit and wait my phone vibrates, its an email from Richmond saying something about continuing our march to the finals or something like that as I couldn't get to the Richmond app quick enough to see if we had beaten Hawthorn. Wow don't think I've ever had something de stress me so fast.
During that last week in Norway the scenery was absolutely breathtaking we had such a great time I completely forgot about the footy so had forgotten we had the Hawthorn match that day.
Later that week we did a tour of Lords at the tour guide kept reminding us Aussies how bad we were doing in the Tests but I remember thinking who cares the Tiges are winning.

Great stuff WJP. There is nothing like traveling the world and still have that tiger connection.

who's been to Dubai? is everything closed on a Friday? thinking of doing an overnight stopover there on my way to Europe in October, but it will be on a Friday.

Ian4 said:
who's been to Dubai? is everything closed on a Friday? thinking of doing an overnight stopover there on my way to Europe in October, but it will be on a Friday.

Friday was the weekend when I worked there in 90s. Went through Dec 2010 and its massively changed. Pretty much an international feel great crossroads of Asia Africa Europe vibe.. I would doubt anything a visitor would want to see or do would be closed. But I stand to corrected.

Ian4 said:

Or was min numbingly hot during a Sep assignment. The sea wasn't even pleasant to swim in. Oct may not be much cooler. Everything now had a/c.

Ian4 said:

Na, everything is open. Dubai is worth seeing for a day but it's tacky and you'll spend more time laughing than being wowed. I suggest a Friday brunch if you are there on a Friday. Brits (and Aussies) generally behaving badly on the booze.

I stopped over there about 3 years ago now for 2 nights in late September. Very hot, but had good fun having a day at a water park (surprisingly fun for adults) - i think there are two of them that are equally enjoyable. The names escape me. I also did an afternoon/evening jeep dune tour where you drive around the sand dunes for an hour or so, do a tacky camel ride and then have dinner in the desert. Very touristy, but quite a bit of fun.

Enjoy

Chiang Mai is now the front line for large scale mainland Chinese tourism. Here is a video of an average tour group of them having a casual lunch at an 'all you can get' buffet: ;D
[youtube=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YE3irZMtO8[/youtube]

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Chiang Mai is now the front line for large scale mainland Chinese tourism. Here is a video of an average tour group of them having a casual lunch at an 'all you can get' buffet: ;D

Was in Phuket last year - talked to one of the hotel staff who said they have a second dining room which they tend to give over to mainland Chinese tourists when there is a big group because it almost turns to fisticuffs with other tourists if they share the breakfast buffet.

Hey Chiang Mai Tiger, this isn't exactly Thai but every time I hear it it takes me right back to the land of the big mango. Great song....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKvA3AN3ApY

thanks for the Dubai hints. the sand duning looks interesting but i'll only be in transit for 30 hours and doubt I'll have the time. will be back for longer if we enjoy it.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:

Are they scared Mao will return and reinstate mass starvation?

CC TIGER said:
Heading off with my son to the US for the first time in the morning, New York, Augusta, Chicago, Denver, LA .
Enjoy, heading to. NYC in December. Was going to France but it's just too unstable around there for my family to chance it.

On a trek around the South Island of NZ right now and we did a Helicopter flight from Franz Josef up to a snow landing at the top of Fox Glacier with our 6yo fella. Amazing! Something you should do if you are ever here and ignore the cost, you cannot describe what you see even after a shed load of photos. Our boys face said it all. We were really lucky because the weather was looking dodgey but we had a good window and it was clear as at the top. They stopped all flights after our flight so we were do lucky.

I recommend this to anyone heading over to NZ. Beautiful country and pretty easy going for us Aussies plus if you are with Vodafone there are no extra charges so I can surf until my hearts content.