• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Travel/Overseas destinations

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
any advice on these places? I am staying for 5 days each in July and August:

1. Crete: Heraklion or Chania? my Greek mate says Chania hands down.
2. Malta: Do I just stay in Valetta or is there a better option?

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
any advice on these places? I am staying for 5 days each in July and August:

1. Crete: Heraklion or Chania? my Greek mate says Chania hands down.
2. Malta: Do I just stay in Valetta or is there a better option?
On the second, Valletta is the stand out in Malta. We stayed at Mellieha (NW) and caught a bus into Valletta a couple of times. I must say that aside from Valletta and Gozo (a beautiful island off the north), there is not much to do on the island. We hired a car and drove around for a day. Some nice historic areas, but a dry, barren island overall.

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
On the second, Valletta is the stand out in Malta. We stayed at Mellieha (NW) and caught a bus into Valletta a couple of times. I must say that aside from Valletta and Gozo (a beautiful island off the north), there is not much to do on the island. We hired a car and drove around for a day. Some nice historic areas, but a dry, barren island overall.
i said I'm staying 5 days, but I could cut that down to 4. would you say 4 days is enough?

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
i said I'm staying 5 days, but I could cut that down to 4. would you say 4 days is enough?
One day in Valletta, one in Gozo. Blue Grotto on the west side and the fishing village to the south could be a third. But, I'm with Baloo. Two days is probably enough. And unless you like rabbit stew, the food is 5/10.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
One day in Valletta, one in Gozo. Blue Grotto on the west side and the fishing village to the south could be a third. But, I'm with Baloo. Two days is probably enough. And unless you like rabbit stew, the food is 5/10.
Sparrows another local Maltese delicacy

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
We spent a week in Malta a few years back. Agree that for a fly in visit, 2-3 days is enough.
Definitely see Gozo and the Blue Lagoon between Gozo and the main island.
If you're into nice swimming spots, try to see Peter's Pool near Marsaxlokk - one of the more fun spots I've been to.
But really, if you have a car, Malta is so small that it doesn't matter much where you stay.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
We spent a week in Malta a few years back. Agree that for a fly in visit, 2-3 days is enough.
Definitely see Gozo and the Blue Lagoon between Gozo and the main island.
If you're into nice swimming spots, try to see Peter's Pool near Marsaxlokk - one of the more fun spots I've been to.
But really, if you have a car, Malta is so small that it doesn't matter much where you stay.
how about a vespa or ATV instead of a car?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Funny story about Malta ... in the lead up to our trip there, an Australian business acquaintance who I have never actually met in person but speak to on the phone alot, told me that his wife was Maltese and that he had a Maltese passport (this discussion had come up in the context of me considering getting a Danish passport). I was asking him for tips about the place and after he rattled on vaguely about some things, he finally came clean and said he had never actually been there. I found this strange that Malta would offer up passports to spouses of its citizens who not only weren't residents but has never even set foot in the place.

The first time I spoke to him after we had been there and come back, I mentioned a few things to him and when discussing further about what his wife might have to say about some of our experiences there, he mentioned that even SHE had never been there !!! By saying she was "Maltese", what he had meant is that her father was! She was born and bred in Australia and had never set foot on the island ... yet they grant her husband a passport on that basis.

It would NEVER happen in Denmark !