Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

Re: Travel/Overseas thread

Tigers of Old said:
Now of course I'm living in Thailand which is the hub of Asia and I'm looking forward to travelling extensively in this part of the world over the next couple of years. Whilst I'm here I intend to do Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan and I'll probably go to Hong Kong and Singapore at some stage also.

As you might know ToO, I spent 12 mths in Cambodia and Gustiger lived in Vietnam for a while. Being connoisseurs of the finer things in life, Gus and I would be able to show you a more interesting, non touristy side of these countries. Perhaps we three should organize a 'male bonding' trip to these places sometime in the future. Snag is I'd never ever get a leave pass from 'her indoors'. :(

A Vietnam, I was in Vietnam in 1994, with my wife.

We did a 5 week tour of SE Asia. Three weeks travelling to Hong Kong, Taipei, Bangkok, then a fortnight travelling through Vietnam, then Singapore. Exciting time, so many stories.

In Hong Kong was very impressed with the same CBD pedestrian structure as the current Carillon Centre in Perth. Don't know why they don't do the same thing in Melbourne. It would certainly raise the value of above ground retail frontages. Honkers also had the Mongkok markets up Nathan road, the mountain, whatever it's called, Victoria on the other side, etc.

Taipei had to be the dirtiest city that I've ever been to. So much pollution, the skies rain mud, and many people walk around with face masks on to filter the air. The central market is great, many of Chaing's monuments are impressive, and the countryside is very nice.

Bangkok, a shoppers paradise. Bought a green leather cricket bag there in 1994, it is still in great condition. The city infrastructure, back in 1994, was appalling. 3 hours to fly from Taipei to Bangkok, 3 1/2 hours to travel by taxi from Bangkok airport into the CBD. The tours to the country side are nice, and the women would have to rate in the top handful of nationalities of beautiful women in the world.

Vietnam, 1994, just dealing in its first real year of openess. Vietnamese were easily the best educated and literate general poulation in SE Asia that I have seen. Everyone was so well educated, spoke multiple languages and had graduated in either mathematics or whatever.

Saigon, met our great friend, Nang, at the old Vien Dong hotel. I didn't see much as I was doing business there then, but memories were:
a) Maxim's restaurant near the Hotel DeVille, magnificent meal for both of us for $15, including dancers and a projection of the Sydney Harbour Bridge as paradise.
b) Soft-shell crab eaten whilst on the Mekong river cruise.
Worst part, going to Saigon Zoo and seeing a baby elephant starving to death.

Hue, ancient capital, stayed in the old French Governer's mansion made famous by Catherine Deneuve in the film Indochine. The fellow who ran the taxi service in Hue was also the head lecturer of Mathematics in Hue University, a lovely man. Vision, a 1960s Valiant without doors, with holes in the floor, as one of about 10 taxis in Hue.

Hanoi, was up all night as guest of Autralian Ambassador, Dennis Wholly, and his lovely wife. The Aussie embassy threw a party for all every Friday night, which usually lasted for an hour or two. The Wholly's hospitality that whole night was greatly appreciated.

Singapore. Forgot to tell you that the night before I left to go away, I came down with a bad flu. My wife chastised me and threatened me with divorce if I ruined her holiday. I arrived in Singapore 4 or so weeks later and my brother in law rushed me to the local hospital. Yes, the flu had developed into the Hiatus Hernia that I carry today. Been to Singapore a few times over the years. It keeps growing and evolving. New centres look amazing, yet some of the older ones, now gone, I miss. That's Singapore. The cricket club in Singapore is always my favourite attraction there.

Yes, that's 12 years ago now.

Been to Honkers twice, went last month for Hong Kong races International Day which is one of the best days racing in the world (a report on the racing page).
First time stayed in Kowloon had everyone wanting me to buy a suit from them. Had a look at the markets
, what made them intersting was what food you could buy from them cooked and uncooked. Some great views from the Peak. Travel around HKG is cheap, approx $1-2 to travel by ferry to the Island side. Great night light display each night and also the walk of Hong Kong movie stars (took a photo of Jackie Chan's). Temple and Ladies Markets are worth going

Went to Bangers in 2001 as part of a work trip. Two nights Bangers, two nights Chiang Mai, two Phuket.
Was in Bangers with a group of approx 35 had a look at huge shopping city and did a temple and buddhas tour. Traffic was bedlam aand was very hot and smokey and did see some poorer areas close to the city. Did go to Patpong to a bar as too hot for market, saw a Thai Tom Jones show which was great then all of us went to a darts and ping pong competition. Then we got our drivers to race their tuks tuks back to the hotel, we were leading until our driver thought he would take us to his cousin bar.

loved Chiang Mai from my limited visit, went to elephants which included a ride to a village and then a bamboo raft trip. Was impressed by the rainforest there. Did enjoy the night market and we also went out for tea to see Thai kick boxing and drag queen show.

Phuket we stayed out of Patong which was a good thing as the US Navy were in town and there was a lot of German and English tourists with Thai Boys and Girls

went to Singapore Dec 04 and I posted earlier in this thread, did go to the cricket club first as well Phantom and bought a stubby holder.

Have had some good reports on Vietnam but yet to travel there but maybe one day. From what I have been told still very cheap and some great countryside

I flew to UK with Air Vietnam once, and had a stopover in Saigon

The plane was hired from a no name brand airline, and was covered with Aussie mechanics at Tulla

Few of the TV screens worked on board so it was a long and boring flight

There was no one to greet us at Saigon, so I jumped into a cab with some other Aussie tourists

And tried to find the hotel, there were 4 in town by the same name

Eventually we found a place where they accepted our ticket, we actually beat the other passengers

to the hotel, apparently there was someone to meet and greet afterall

There were zillions of motorbikes in Saigon,even more in rush hour

We had a great evening wandering around the city and had some fantastic food

The next day we grabbed a guide to show us around

He took us to a place that the locals would eat and we had another feast

We also went to a market that made the Queen Vic look tiny, what a maze

And there were all sorts of strange things on display, not least of all shark fins

Unfortunately one of the pork rolls I had for lunch made me VERY ill

I flew into Heathrow almost hallucinating and was rather sick for at least 2 weeks

It rather slowed down my rate of pint drinking

The flight home was interesting too

Air Vietnam fly via France, being a French colony

I got to Charles De Gaulle nice and early but Air Vietnam had overbooked the flight

And told quite a few of us that we could not board

This was bad news as I had a stopover in Hanoi for 3 days booked

Luckily the French told them we had to get on as we were not late

Either that or pay for a hotel in Paris

They made a few adjustments and some airline execs took the air hostesses seats

And the air hosties sat on the floor ::)

My Dutch friends gave me some sleeping pills that would tranq a horse, they were nurses

Of course they didn't work

The Hotel in Hanoi was grand, and I was picked up in a brand new taxi

A far cry from Saigon, the sleeping pills kicked in and I slept like a baby

Only waking every now and again to watch an in house movie

Hanoi architecture looks just like Provincial France, just very run down in places

Come to think of it the market I atributed to Saigon was actually in Hanoi

The local kids were convinced I was Fabien Barthez the French goalie

I had quite a following

There was a war museum there too which was really interesting

Apparently the Chinese has tried to invade centuries ago

And outnumbered, the Vietnamese defeated the Chinese Army

They put pointed trees in the bay at low tide and let the Chinese Armada in

Then at low tide the warships became impaled on the trees and the Chinese drowned

They were also very proud of their underground system of bunkers

The same ones that put them in great stead this century against a modern foe

I didn't try any local food in Hanoi but really enjoyed my stay

There were some really old temples in the City too

Flying out was a bit scary, there were few English signs and I had to take an internal flight

To Saigon to catch a flight home. There were no computers to book in everything was manual

I could have been going anywhere

A big contrast to Sydney, where between terminals they had adjusted my flight home to Melb

And fitted me on another flight without me even asking

mk33 said:
Good stuff Tigers of Old
Any stories or country you want to tell us more on in Europe or Thailand or Funship.

A few of the places I've been have already been well covered in this thread.
Many places I could mention but I'll start with my favourite. I've added a few links just to add to the vibe.

My favourite city I have been to is Paris without a doubt. Not the most unique or obscure destination. In fact I'm sure a few reading this would have been there. However if I was going to go back to one place I've been to then this would be it.

I absolutely loved everything about Paris. It is a true city for the people.

I spent about a week there in 2000. I would love to live there for a while one day.

If you are into art & culture(which I am) then it is the place to be.
Suburbia and the Business district seemed to be kept well away from the heart of the city and this is a large reason as to why I feel it's such a wonderful town.
Aside from the obvious tourist sights (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Arc de Triumph etc.) there are some particular things that stood out for me.

The Musee D'Orsay
http://dannyman.toldme.com/images/IMG_2981-800x600.JPG
was an absolute highlight for me and is a must on any itinery. It is an art gallery built inside an old railway station and holds some of the finest impressionist artworks in the world. As I walked through I couldn't believe how many paintings I was familiar with. It was as if I was on a tour of every artbook I'd ever opened or studied as a youngster. Very emotive environment.

Then of course there is the Louvre
http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/home.jsp
To say this is a big museum would be an understatement. Apart from holding the famous and surprisingly small Mona Lisa, it is an absolutely massive collection of all things art. I only managed to do 2 of the 3 wings and I spent the best part of two whole days there. The surrounding gardens around this area are incredibly beautiful also. I'm looking forward to the film version of the Da Vinci Code just so I can see the Louvre again in all it's splendour.

Other things I love about Paris:

- The cafes and patisseries. Absolutely full of character and the pastries and desserts have to be seen and tasted to be believed.http://elliptic.typepad.com/photos/paris_nov_2003/patisserie.jpg

- The countless parks and gardens. They are works of art in themselves. Luxembourg Park http://www.pbase.com/francist/luxembourg is my personal favourite. Outdoor photography exhibitions, music concerts, fountains filled with children pushing small boats around. You can always can find a chair to sit, their are hundreds of green seats scattered around the place(quite the opposite to Italy where there are none). I could spend days just chilling in the parks and gardens just reading a book or newspaper. There is always something happening yet at the same time it's extremely relaxing.

- The Metro(Paris's rail system). http://www.familyjewels.us/db4/00352/familyjewels.us/_uimages/metro.jpg
Art Nouveau architecture gives it it's timesless character yet it makes our rail system look antiquified. Often you will find quality buskers(usually struggling musicians) on board the carriages and it gives the sense of travelling in the city real charm. It is extremely clean and punctual also.

- The Parisians on the whole were very pleasant to us. Particularly when they realised we were Australian and not English or American. This was something we were very quick to point out in our travels in general. In fact I think we even wore badges and we found that helped a lot. On the whole Aussies are very well recieved OS I'd say.

Italy is the most beautiful country I've been to, but for cities alone, then Paris is my outright favourite. I will get there again one day. :)

Thanks for indulging me in that trip down memory lane. I'll mention a couple of the more obscure places I've been in my travels in a later post on this thread. 8)

My thoughts exactly too ToO. I love Paris, particularly its architecture. :hearton

Well most of my travels in last 10 years have been centred around Sth East Asia. Mr Crystal had a part ownership in a scuba diving business in Phuket many years ago so we spent a most of our holidays either diving out of Phuket/Burma or travelling around southern Thailand. The last 5 or so years worth of holidays have been spent diving/travelling in remote parts of Papua New Guniea which hosts some of the most incredible and pristine reefs and underwater life in the world. Its also the most primitive place I've encountered so far on Earth (hard to believe given its relative proximity to industrialised nations).

I've also spent some time in Sth Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong as my folks were expats there for many years, also a small amount of time in Europe and Nth America many years ago. I can't wait to do Carn's trip to Machu Pichu though! :hearton

Yep, Paris is great.
Both my wife and I have been there a few times, but never together. ;)

For me, the Pere LaChaise is its most significant place. It is the cemetary on the east of the city where lies Moliere, Oscar Wilde, and of course the great American poet James Douglas Morrison. His stone has the initials MP 1981 engraved on it, along with many others. (1981 was the 10th anniversary of his death.)

There are just so many places to visit in Paris, Eiffel Tower, Concorde, Tuilleries gardens, Arc de Triomphe, Les Invalides, Champs Elysee & Elysee Palace, Louvre, Galleries Lafayette, Pompideu Centre, Sourbonne Universities, Montmartre, Sacre Coeur. Then for just a fairly short ride out of the city there is Versailles and the 2 Triannons.

Only problem is the Parisians. Nothing against the French. French people are lovely. But most Parisians aren't French, not many true French Parisians left, they all moved out. These new Parisians help to give the real French a bad name.

Love Paris. Just so many things to see & do.

Have just found out this afternoon I'm going to Tokyo tomorrow for a week. Wooohoooo!!!! Anyone been and can relay a few things to see, avoid etc.

Have been told you should take your own food, believe the prices over there is enough for one to lose several kilos.

I've heard from a few sources that Japan is nowhere near as expensive as it used to be, while its not cheap, its not out of control

tigersnake said:
Hey crystal, I spent 7 months in South America in 97-98. I went to a lot of places CTT went and agree with 99% of what he says, except for the advice re altitude sickness, forget the tablets and chew coca leaves. Neither I or anyone I travelled with experienced any side effects. Sure they dont taste that good, but the invigorate you and give heaps of energy. The Bolivian miners at Potosi work 12-14 hour shift hauling rocks by hand without eating, they just chew coca all day.. Also, its completely different to cocaine, which is mixed with petro-chemical and crap. its just a leaf. When in rome...

I took the train to Machu Pichu, as I'd already trekked a lesser-known inca trail called the Takesi in Bolivia (one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had, trek up and over to a mountain pass at 3900 metres). Amazing experience. We got up before sunrise and trekked up to the lost city to be there at sunrise. we were the only ones there. Just llamas and a light mist. Incredible.

We entered the Amazon basin via Rurenebaque in Bolivia. Swam in Pirana infested waters (not as tough as it sounds, they can't really eat live flesh). The bus ride over the Andes was the scariest experience of my life though, old bus driven by a nutcase who thinks hes a rally driver on single-lane dirt roads that hug the side of near-cliff-face mountain sides. A landslide held us up for a day, trapped on a mountain road, miles from anywhere, no food, no dunnies, rocks plummetting down the montain behind and in front. That particular road is called the death road. Can't say I'd recommend it, but having survived I'll never forget it.

The thing about the Amazon basin that you just can't grasp until you're there, is just how huge and impenetrable it is. We traveled by bus over what were barely roads for 2 days, the boat for another 2 days, and we barely penetrated the very edge. If you think of a dartboard, we would have got about halfway across the very outer double-score ring. You need a lot of time, money and guts to really penetrate it.

Another very memorable experience was a mud volcano near Cartegena in Colombia. A mini volcano, about 50 metres high, with a crater full of mud, consitency of very thick, slightly gritty cream. Was nervous to jump in at first, remembering those old Lassie and Tarzan movies with quicksand. But you couldn't sink even if you tried. I was there wallowing around with about 10 others. Never laughed so much in my life. You could jump in off the lip of the crater and make a big splat and your body would sink in half way then stop. Jump in the tidal laggoon after to wash off, then drink a couple of rum and pinapple juices. Fun.

Travel warning, do not get in a rum with stubby chasers shout with a Colombian. The potential to make a complete goose of yourself while pub crawling on mopeds is very great.

Also, food in Bolivia/ Peru/ Ecuador is generally average to poor. I lived on cheese and tomato sangas. The Incans must not have been into food. The further North you go the better the food gets. Food in Colombia was good, and while I didn't get to Mexico, Guatamala etc, apparently its fantastic.

Again also, Spanish is pretty easy. while its hard to master, its easy to get to a level where you can have conversations. Often, if you aren't sure of what word to use, just take a punt on the English and add an 'o', 'a', or 'ante' on the end, like fantastico, deliciosa (delicious) , interesante (interesting). elegante (elegant) etc.

Hey thanks Tigersnake! I just read this now. :hearton Some great advice there too. I'm looking forward to chewing some coke leaves! All in the name of altitude sickness prevention of course. ;) 8) Sounds like another great trip. :clap

Crystal, I actually didn't take anything at all for altitude sickness and neither did anyone on my trek, the worst I got was a headache which was as much caused by the cold I had as anything about the altitude. I do remember asking about altitude sickness at the travel agent, they specialised in South American trips and they said that hardly anyone actually gets genuine altitude sickness. When I was in Peru in 2000 there was a genuine push to stop people, especially locals, chewing the coca leaves, they do give you energy and they do negate the need to eat, which isn't actually all that good for people. There were a number of stories about porters passing out due to chewing the leaves and not eating properly. How true they were I don't know, none of our porters did and I didn't see many of them chewing the leaves either. Peruvian food isn't all that bad, I passed on the guinea pig, but they have this fish dish called ceviche (sic?), it's sort of South American sushi, I've been told by a connoisseur of it that it is really only done properly in southern Peru. If you're in Bolivia I recommend the trout from Lake Titicaca and I had this amazing fish in a dodgy little place in Misahualli (pronounced Missawayhee, Spanish tends to pronouce the ll as y, chicken is poyo, not pollo the way it's spelled, I wondered why I kept getting looks whenever I ordered it until someone told me the correct pronunication) in Ecuador on the edge of the jungle. I still can't remember what it was called, but it was a local river fish and about the best fish I have ever had.

My memories of Paris are all good.
Stayed in a dodgy hotel in Montmarte, and did see the toursit things, climbed th Eiffel Tour (definately recommend), climbed Arc de Triomphe (apparently a car accident happens evry 7 minutes!! but I did not see one, however when you approach it you just keep going and our bus nearly took out a smart car).
Jim Morrison grave,Champs Del Elyssias and the Louvre. Also saw a Can Can show near the Moulin Rouge.

Have to agree with you Tigers of Old re how the business district is out of the way and did see the Luxembourg Garden, just wish had more time there as was rushed. Our tour guide also recommend the Musee D'Orsay I think (is this the modern artist gallery!) but I didnt get time to go there.

A couple of my highlights were
Cruise on Seine River at dusk/night
Just to see the Notre Dame church at dusk with the right light angle on this gothic church was fantastic. Unfortunately my picture was not as good as I hoped but it was wonderful church inside with the stained windows. If I go again would like to climb the lookout tower.

Eiffel at night is fantastic with its lights. I have about 20 pictures of it from various places and different stages of the day.

Sacre Couer great views of the city and market nearby as well. When I was there the Olympic torch was being run through at the same stage I was hoping to see Pepe Le Pew, Mary Perec or Yannick Noah but it was nobody I knew (probably a huge star for all I knew).

Also did a bike ride at night which I would highly recommend of the streets of Paris around the Louvre etc. It was thru Fat Bike tyre tour or similar name if anyone is interested (it may appear on google). Ours was on a Friday night and France lost to Greece that night in Euro so they were not up for partying.

Public transport is also very good in Paris

Have also been to Nice, Cannes, Monaco, Lyon and Avignon in France and would recommend all.

Switzerland is my favourite country but Paris or London is my favourite city just ahead of Madrid and Barcelona, no maybe Paris first,  no too hard they are all good.

Keep up the good work on the stories everybody its great reading

Phantom said:
3 1/2 hours to travel by taxi from Bangkok airport into the CBD.
Changed a bit these days Phantom. They've put a massive freeway in and although you have to pay for the tolls it wouldn't take you much more than an hour now.

Enjoyed reading other's thoughts on Paris, Ecuador etc :). I'll must do a report on Tokyo.

I've been to Paris a few times for vacation when I lived in London. It is a wonderful city, and perfect for a tourist.

Highlights:
Heading down to St. Germain, or any random cafe, sitting outside with a coffee, and watching the world go by... Seems like a perfect city for that.

The catacombs, spooky but great. The photos don't do the place justice:

http://www.quovadimus.org/paris/cat/thumb.html

Bastille area of Paris. A great place for a night out.. There is especially a cobblestone street rue de lappe where there are a lot of great bars. a "younger place" for a drink but still good fun. There was an Australian Reastaurant close by called Bennelong, with the best pav you will ever taste (it won a few international dessert awards). But I tried to find it 6 months ago for a friend. It looks like it is now closed.

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/ruedelappe.html

There is a hotel bar in the La Defense region of Paris (one of the chains) with a great sunset view of the city - expensive drinks though. If intereste I'll let you do the research. The architecture of La Defense is interesting, but the area is a little boring. It is a business district with little permanent accomodation. I was there @ around 10:30pm by a guy yelling "knife" in French, so we had to walk quickly to the Metro.

Parisian cuisine is great, the area to start is St Germain/Latin Quarter... Also try some Morroccan food. There is a sizable Morroccan population in Paris (the riots anyone) and their food is wonderful. Try the Cous Cous Royale (Beef, Lamb, chicken, sausage) or a Lamb Tagine.

Versailles and the Garden are also worth a view.

About the "unique" Parisians.. I have always found that if you started conversation fumbling through introductions in French, you usually got a friendlier person, than speaking to them straight in English.