Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

Re: Travel/Overseas thread

CarnTheTiges said:
Not too many here have mentioned South America, the trek to Macchu Pichu is a close 2nd to the African safari on my list of favourite overseas experiences.

I was planning to do the Inca trail in March for my b'day but I'm told its the end of the wet season (apparently they close the track in Feb). What time of year did you go Carn? Was it a tough trek? Did you fly into Lima or did you go overland? Did you stay in Machu Pichu afterwards or did you get the train back down? I can't WAIT to go!!! Its one of the all time "must do" things on my list. Where else did you go in Sth America? Can you get around ok without speaking Spanish? Tell me eveything!!! :hearton

Crystal said:
CarnTheTiges said:
Not too many here have mentioned South America, the trek to Macchu Pichu is a close 2nd to the African safari on my list of favourite overseas experiences.

I was planning to do the Inca trail in March for my b'day but I'm told its the end of the wet season (apparently they close the track in Feb). What time of year did you go Carn? Was it a tough trek? Did you fly into Lima or did you go overland? Did you stay in Machu Pichu afterwards or did you get the train back down? I can't WAIT to go!!! Its one of the all time "must do" things on my list.  Where else did you go in Sth America? Can you get around ok without speaking Spanish? Tell me eveything!!!  :hearton
Crystal and mk, I went to South America in 2000. It was April/May when I was there. I flew into Santiago and spent a couple of days there, then flew to La Paz on Bolivia, I acclimatised there really. I took a bus out of La Paz and sailed across Lake Titicaca, then bussed it from Copacabana in Bolivia over the border into Peru and stayed the night at a place called Puno. I actually caught a cold in Santiago and wound up trying to shake that and get used to altitude in La Paz. I had this continual headache until the morning I left Puno, which was good, because I did a 13 hr train trip across the altiplano to Cuzco, which is where the trek to Macchu Pichu leaves from. I spent a few days in Cuzco and really enjoyed the city before joining up with my group and doing Camino Inca (which is Inca Trail in Spanish). I stayed a day or so in Agua Calientes (that's the town near Macchu Pichu) after reaching Macchu Pichu, took a train to the Sacred Valley and stayed at a place called Posada Del Inca, very luxurious, almost like Peru's version of the Victoria Falls Hotel in Zimbabwe. I went back to Cuzco, stayed there for a few more days and did a rafting trip one day, then I flew to Lima, joined up with a tour group called Toucan and we travelled up the nothern coast of Peru and into Ecuador.

My Spanish is limited to: "Una mas cerveza, per favor." and I got by okay, although I was glad I was with the tour group in northern Peru, they're not as tourist friendly there.

Liverpool said:
Phantom,

1. Did you feel safe there...and is it a myth that people there target sheilas with blonde hair?  ???

2. The sphinx isn't that big, is it? or?

Went to Egypt in Nov 2004. Small tour group, a couple of blondes and a couple of brunettes were with us. They attracted attention from the local guys. Went shopping in Luxor with a couple of them and one of their boyfriend's. The boyfriend lagged behind (was fascinated by junk),I was tired of shopping at that point and waited outside a shop while the girls went in. The shopkeeper across the way said I was lucky to have two women and offered me 3 camels for them. Wasn't sure if he was serious or not, but considered it ;D. The tour guide later said it was a good offer ;D. The girls thought they were worth more. Seriously though, safety wise, the only thing the ladies had to be worried about was getting constantly hassled. By that I mean marriage proposals etc. Physically they are quite safe, although they felt more reassured if they were with someone else from the tour group. It was usually mostly light hearted banter.
Phantom, sorry to hear about your experience. I'm usually cautious with food at the best of times so I was wary about anything unusual looking. A guy in our group simply had to taste everything put in front of him. He had a very uncomfortable overnight train ride from Cairo to Aswan ;D. The train toilets actually encourage you to hold everything in :).
I found it an amazing place and hope to get there again sometime in the future. The people are so friendly and proud of their country and history.

I passed through Checkpoint Charlie in 1983. It was on the return loop of that same trip to Scandinavia & the Eastern Bloc.

Funny story actually.
At that stage the Iron Curtain was still standing. There were guards evrywhere.
As we were waiting in the queue to cross over into East Berlin, a couple of Frenchmen behind me were smoking. One offered me my first Gallois. As I took my first puff, I didn't expect it to be so strong. I started coughing & spluttering immediately. About a dozen guards suddenly sprung to attention with machine guns at the ready. Fortunately the situation was settled down and we all laughed as soon as we got through the checkpoint.

East Berlin was an enormous contrast to West Berlin. It was dark, stark and scary.
The long broad Frederickstrasse, along with the Reichstag building were very impressive, but very dark & sinister looking. Amazing to see, but I was damned glad to get out of there.

As an aside, Fortune magazine recently came out with some interesting investment advice. The best place in the world to buy real estate currently is Berlin. Apparently, it has undergone a recent slump, and property prices are very low compared to other comparable European capital cities. On the otherhand, you need to find a Berlin real estate agent and Berlin solicitor that you can trust. (See, there are worse than the Tiger Board. ;) )

My most favourite place in West Berlin was this disco/nightclub, can't remember its name, where there were many rooms, each room had a different theme. Very way out.

Did you go to the Olympic Stadium Phantom??

Jesse Owens name is right at the top of the honour board

That would have pissed the little Austrian off

CarnTheTiges said:
Crystal said:
CarnTheTiges said:

I was planning to do the Inca trail in March for my b'day but I'm told its the end of the wet season (apparently they close the track in Feb). What time of year did you go Carn? Was it a tough trek? Did you fly into Lima or did you go overland? Did you stay in Machu Pichu afterwards or did you get the train back down? I can't WAIT to go!!! Its one of the all time "must do" things on my list. Where else did you go in Sth America? Can you get around ok without speaking Spanish? Tell me eveything!!! :hearton
Crystal and mk, I went to South America in 2000. It was April/May when I was there. I flew into Santiago and spent a couple of days there, then flew to La Paz on Bolivia, I acclimatised there really. I took a bus out of La Paz and sailed across Lake Titicaca, then bussed it from Copacabana in Bolivia over the border into Peru and stayed the night at a place called Puno. I actually caught a cold in Santiago and wound up trying to shake that and get used to altitude in La Paz. I had this continual headache until the morning I left Puno, which was good, because I did a 13 hr train trip across the altiplano to Cuzco, which is where the trek to Macchu Pichu leaves from. I spent a few days in Cuzco and really enjoyed the city before joining up with my group and doing Camino Inca (which is Inca Trail in Spanish). I stayed a day or so in Agua Calientes (that's the town near Macchu Pichu) after reaching Macchu Pichu, took a train to the Sacred Valley and stayed at a place called Posada Del Inca, very luxurious, almost like Peru's version of the Victoria Falls Hotel in Zimbabwe. I went back to Cuzco, stayed there for a few more days and did a rafting trip one day, then I flew to Lima, joined up with a tour group called Toucan and we travelled up the nothern coast of Peru and into Ecuador.

My Spanish is limited to: "Una mas cerveza, per favor." and I got by okay, although I was glad I was with the tour group in northern Peru, they're not as tourist friendly there.

Thanks Carn. :hearton Did it take you long to acclimitise? I won't be going via Bolivia so I'm likely to fly straight into Lima. How many days would you think I'd need in Cuzco to acclimitise before the trek? I know its a piece of string question(!) but do you reckon 3 days would do it? I'll be flying in from Quito (Ecudor).

Crystal, are you doing anything in Ecuador? I really enjoyed Ecuador, it rained most of the time, but I think that's just their weather. It was very very cheap when I was there. We got a two course meal with drinks for around 10 people and it only cost us 1,000,000 sucre, which worked out to about $100, so $10 a person. I also did the amazon in Ecuador and that was really good too. Acclimatising to altitude is different for different people. It took me about 3 - 4 days and was partially caused by the cold as well, but I was totally used to being at altitude by the time I got to Cuzco. Some people don't get affected at all and the very rare person gets full on altitude sickness. There are 3 things you can take for it: you can have tablets prescribed by your GP before you go,although my GP said that they have side effects and told me that I'd probably curse him more than I thanked him, they have a drink there called cacao de mate, which is a kind of tea that helps and there are the leaves, but aside from tasting foul they also have side effects, de mate is your best bet if you want something to ease any bad altitude effects. You're being sensible by giving yourself time in Cuzco before attempting the trail, the worst thing you can do is fly in one day and do the trail the next. I'd give it 3 days judging by my own experience. Which group are you trekking with?

TC said:

Didn't have time for the Berlin Olympic stadium. It would have been great.
Saw the Munich stadium, and the Helsinki winter stadiums, or it that stadii.

Regarding Ecuador/Peru.
I am a keen follower of the history of the Conquistadors, Cortez & Pizarro, also of Diamond's Guns, Germs & Steel. Watched on the ABC last night the Mancho rebellion of the 1530s. Must be very beautiful in the high country.

The Berlin Stadium was in excellent condition for it's age, Phantom

Much lower and more open than Melbourne

Oh and just one covered part where "You know who" was seated

Just looking back through my photos of The East, there are not many

I seem to remember being intimidated into keeping my camera well hidden

I can well understand your uneasy feelings.

Especially from the guardtowers

Not sure how much of the sabre rattling was bluff and bravado

Or even jealousy, but I wasn't about to test the waters :nailbiting

Phantom said:
TC said:

Didn't have time for the Berlin Olympic stadium. It would have been great.
Saw the Munich stadium, and the Helsinki winter stadiums, or it that stadii.

Regarding Ecuador/Peru.
I am a keen follower of the history of the Conquistadors, Cortez & Pizarro, also of Diamond's Guns, Germs & Steel. Watched on the ABC last night the Mancho rebellion of the 1530s. Must be very beautiful in the high country.

I was lucky to see the Olympic stadium in Barcelona, there was a sports meet there that night, so all the equipment was out including the high jump bag Tim Forysth won bronze on (it had 92 Olympics written on the bag). The muesam at the stadium was good with props etc from the ceremonies and video highlights etc

Thoroughly enjoyable thread. Really good, escapist fun reading everyone's posts :clap. Wow, we certainly have a well travelled crew at PRE :spin.

Done a reasonable amount of travelling OS.

Mostly Europe. Done two large trips there. Each time did comprehensive trips of the countries, rather than just fly by visits to the capitals.
First time 2000: Italy(absolutely beautiful country as dtailed by TC)), France(Paris, my favourite city) and the UK.
Second time 2002: Spain(highlights Barcelona, Seville's april festival and Grenada's Alhambra castle), The Netherlands(including Amsterdam 8)), The Czech republic(specifically Prague) and again the UK.

Also been to:
- Bali(as have many)
- A 13 day cruise on the Fairstar the Funship :hihi to a few of the Pacific islands, Vanuatu, Noumea etc.
- Thailand x2 and currently residing here.

Terrific memories.

Other places I'd like to go internationally are: Peru(great report CTT), Africa to do a Safari, The USA(specifically New York).
In Australia: A hiking trek in Tasmania would be great, Central Australia, and the Great Barrier Reef. It shames me that I've seen more of the world than many sights in my own country. But there's plenty of time for that :).

Now of course I'm living in Thailand which is the hub of Asia and I'm looking forward to travelling extensively in this part of the world over the next couple of years. Whilst I'm here I intend to do Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan and I'll probably go to Hong Kong and Singapore at some stage also.

mk33 said:
I was lucky to see the Olympic stadium in Barcelona, there was a sports meet there that night, so all the equipment was out including the high jump bag Tim Forysth won bronze on (it had 92 Olympics written on the bag). The muesam at the stadium was good with props etc from the ceremonies and video highlights etc

I remember seeing Barcelona being constructed in 1987 and thinking how long away it was until the Olympics

Now it seems an eternity ago

CarnTheTiges said:
Crystal, are you doing anything in Ecuador? I really enjoyed Ecuador, it rained most of the time, but I think that's just their weather. It was very very cheap when I was there. We got a two course meal with drinks for around 10 people and it only cost us 1,000,000 sucre, which worked out to about $100, so $10 a person. I also did the amazon in Ecuador and that was really good too. Acclimatising to altitude is different for different people. It took me about 3 - 4 days and was partially caused by the cold as well, but I was totally used to being at altitude by the time I got to Cuzco. Some people don't get affected at all and the very rare person gets full on altitude sickness. There are 3 things you can take for it: you can have tablets prescribed by your GP before you go,although my GP said that they have side effects and told me that I'd probably curse him more than I thanked him, they have a drink there called cacao de mate, which is a kind of tea that helps and there are the leaves, but aside from tasting foul they also have side effects, de mate is your best bet if you want something to ease any bad altitude effects. You're being sensible by giving yourself time in Cuzco before attempting the trail, the worst thing you can do is fly in one day and do the trail the next. I'd give it 3 days judging by my own experience. Which group are you trekking with?

Carn I'm really grateful for this advice, thanks! I'm hoping to do a liveaboard dive trip in the Galapagous first (to see the schooling hammerheads) so will be spending a few days in Ecuador either side of that to adjust. I hadn't thought about doing the Amazon out of Ecuador - that's a great idea too, thanks baby!! :hearton Actually the more I plan this trip the more I realise I'll have to take a year off work! Not sure which group I'll do the trek with yet as I haven't researched it enough. I've been told Peregrine are pretty good but they tend to take larger groups (15-20+). I'd rather a smaller independent. Who did you go with? Also, what was the hardest part of the trek? I've been told the 2nd day is an absolute killer but then it gets easier. Did you find that too?

Crystal said:
CarnTheTiges said:

Carn I'm really grateful for this advice, thanks! I'm hoping to do a liveaboard dive trip in the Galapagous first (to see the schooling hammerheads) so will be spending a few days in Ecuador either side of that to adjust.  I hadn't thought about doing the Amazon out of Ecuador - that's a great idea too, thanks baby!!  :hearton Actually the more I plan this trip the more I realise I'll have to take a year off work! Not sure which group I'll do the trek with yet as I haven't researched it enough. I've been told Peregrine are pretty good but they tend to take larger groups (15-20+). I'd rather a smaller independent. Who did you go with? Also, what was the hardest part of the trek? I've been told the 2nd day is an absolute killer but then it gets easier. Did you find that too?
I did the trek with a group called Peruvian Andean Trekking, it was booked via the South American Travel Centre here in Melbourne. THe 2nd day is the killer on the trek. You go through the cloud forest and then up Dead Woman's Pass, you hit an altitude of 4200 metres above sea level and the thin air up there is what does it.

Tigers of Old said:
Thoroughly enjoyable thread. Really good, escapist fun reading everyone's posts :clap. Wow, we certainly have a well travelled crew at PRE :spin.

Done a reasonable amount of travelling OS.

Mostly Europe. Done two large trips there. Each time did comprehensive trips of the countries, rather than just fly by visits to the capitals.
First time 2000: Italy(absolutely beautiful country as dtailed by TC)), France(Paris, my favourite city) and the UK.
Second time 2002: Spain(highlights Barcelona, Seville's april festival and Grenada's Alhambra castle), The Netherlands(including Amsterdam 8)), The Czech republic(specifically Prague) and again the UK.

Also been to:
- Bali(as have many)
- A 13 day cruise on the Fairstar the Funship :hihi to a few of the Pacific islands, Vanuatu, Noumea etc.
- Thailand x2 and currently residing here.

Terrific memories.

Other places I'd like to go internationally are: Peru(great report CTT), Africa to do a Safari, The USA(specifically New York).
In Australia: A hiking trek in Tasmania would be great, Central Australia, and the Great Barrier Reef. It shames me that I've seen more of the world than many sights in my own country. But there's plenty of time for that :).

Now of course I'm living in Thailand which is the hub of Asia and I'm looking forward to travelling extensively in this part of the world over the next couple of years. Whilst I'm here I intend to do Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan and I'll probably go to Hong Kong and Singapore at some stage also.
Good stuff Tigers of Old
Any stories or country you want to tell us more on in Europe or Thailand or Funship.
I may have missed it somewhere else but whereabouts in Thailand are you working and for how long and what job do you do in Thailand.

Crystal said:
Thanks again Carn.  :hearton
No problem, Crystal, glad to help a fellow traveller and Tiger supporter and if you haven't already worked it out I do enjoy talking about the various trips.

Hey crystal, I spent 7 months in South America in 97-98.  I went to a lot of places CTT went and agree with 99% of what he says, except for the advice re altitude sickness, forget the tablets and chew coca leaves. Neither I or anyone I travelled with experienced any side effects.  Sure they dont taste that good, but the invigorate you and give heaps of energy.  The Bolivian miners at Potosi work 12-14 hour shift hauling rocks by hand without eating, they just chew coca all day..  Also, its completely different to cocaine, which is mixed with petro-chemical and crap. its just a leaf.  When in rome...

I took the train to Machu Pichu, as I'd already trekked a lesser-known inca trail called the Takesi in Bolivia (one of the most memorable experiences I've ever had, trek up and over to a mountain pass at 3900 metres).  Amazing experience.  We got up before sunrise and trekked up to the lost city to be there at sunrise. we were the only ones there.  Just llamas and a light mist.  Incredible.

We entered the Amazon basin via Rurenebaque in Bolivia.  Swam in Pirana infested waters (not as tough as it sounds, they can't really eat live flesh).  The bus ride over the Andes was the scariest experience of my life though, old bus driven by a nutcase who thinks hes a rally driver on single-lane dirt roads that hug the side of near-cliff-face mountain sides.  A landslide held us up for a day, trapped on a mountain road, miles from anywhere, no food, no dunnies, rocks plummetting down the montain behind and in front.  That particular road is called the death road.  Can't say I'd recommend it, but having survived I'll never forget it.

The thing about the Amazon basin that you just can't grasp until you're there, is just how huge and impenetrable it is.  We traveled by bus over what were barely roads for 2 days, the boat for another 2 days, and we barely penetrated the very edge.  If you think of a dartboard, we would have got about halfway across the very outer double-score ring.  You need a lot of time, money and guts to really penetrate it.

Another very memorable experience was a mud volcano near Cartegena in Colombia.  A mini volcano, about 50 metres high, with a crater full of mud, consitency of very thick, slightly gritty cream.  Was nervous to jump in at first, remembering those old Lassie and Tarzan movies with quicksand.  But you couldn't sink even if you tried.  I was there wallowing around with about 10 others.  Never laughed so much in my life.  You could jump in off the lip of the crater and make a big splat and your body would sink in half way then stop.  Jump in the tidal laggoon after to wash off, then drink a couple of rum and pinapple juices.  Fun.

Travel warning, do not get in a rum with stubby chasers shout with a Colombian.  The potential to make a complete goose of yourself while pub crawling on mopeds is very great.

Also, food in Bolivia/ Peru/ Ecuador is generally average to poor.  I lived on cheese and tomato sangas.  The Incans must not have been into food.  The further North you go the better the food gets.  Food in Colombia was good, and while I didn't get to Mexico, Guatamala etc, apparently its fantastic.

Again also, Spanish is pretty easy. while its hard to master, its easy to get to a level where you can have conversations. Often, if you aren't sure of what word to use, just take a punt on the English and add an 'o', 'a', or 'ante' on the end, like fantastico, deliciosa (delicious) , interesante (interesting). elegante (elegant) etc.