Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Re: Travel/Overseas thread

mk33 said:
Have heard its more expensive than the rest of Europe, but would be worth if you want to go hopefully one day will get there. Sound great though Liverpool and Chelsea

Has anyone been to Switzerland and if so whereabouts. That is one country I do like. As yet have only been to Innsbruck In Austria and everyone says Austria is just as good. Also had lunch and my paspport stamped in Leichenstein (apparently that is a tourist attraction there).

mk33,

I've spent 2 weeks in Austria....mostly around Vienna, and a couple of days down in Graz.
Its just as good as Switzerland, and cheaper (as Austria has the Euro).
I haven't been across to Tyrol, to Innsbruck or to Salzburg (the day we were going to go there, its snowed heavily and we couldn't get the train there! :'()...so looks like you've seen that part of Austria I haven't seen, and maybe I have seen the part you haven't seen!?!? :hihi
Or have you been to Vienna before?

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

A little off the beaten track is Egypt. I was there is 1983.
IMO the no.1 destination that I've been to, although it has cost me much of my health over the years.

Highlights:
1. The bus ride down from Taba Beach to Sharm El Shiekh.
On my own, I met up with a group of Alexandrian medical students and a German fellow. We told stories and partied, played soccer on the beach till all hours. Went snorkling along the continental shelf. The sand under the beach goes out for a few metres at a fairly shallow level then drops like a cliff face into the ocean blue. Anyone who drifts out to far and gets caught in the current ends up down the eastern coast of Africa. The fish and rocks were fascinating.

2. Went back with the medical students to Alexandria. Stayed at one of the boy's home. Extremely hospitable. Visited the ancient ruins, looked at a couple of museums, great stuff.

3. Cairo
Amazing, marginally better than Istanbul.
The Citadel is enormous, breathtaking.
The Cairo Museum is the best. I'd thought the British Museum was great, until I saw Cairo's. The complete Tutenkamen and other exhibitions.
Went down, over the river to the Pyramids and Sphinx. Yep they're as great as people say they are.
Highlight, though, was every night going straight after dinner down the the local cafe and ordering, "Chickchuck, Shisha, cafe." (Backgammon board, Water pipe & Turkish coffee.)
One would sit down at 7.30pm and start drinking, playing and smoking. You'd then realize that it was 3pm in the morning.

4. Falucca ride up the Nile to Luxor/Karnak - 3days
Can't tell you the whole story but an empty Evian bottle can be very handy.
Just another one of those memorable rides that I'll remember for only doing once.

5. Stayed in the 3star Akenaten Hotel for $4 per night, incl breakfast.
Drank alot of red tea derived from the petals of a flower whose name currently escapes me.
A long walk but well worth it to see:
The Temple of Hatshepsut,
The Valley of the Kings,
Tutenkamen's Tomb,
then over the river to the Temple of Karnak.
An enormous day.
On my way back, I stopped at a market place, had temporary amnesia, and bought some dates to eat. Within 24hours I'd gone into a deep fever. I was scared of going to see a doctor in Karnak, so I swallowed 1/4 of a water cleaning tablet. If it could clean water, it could clean me.
Came out of the fever after 5 days, extremely week. Slowly made my way back to Cairo.

6. Can't remember what it's called but its name has 3 letters. (This was over 20 years ago.)
Never seen so many camels in the one place. Apparently this was the African capital of used camel markets. More camels than could fill the arena of the MCG. I'll never forget the camels.

Eventually got back to Cairo by train, flew to Athens, then home, straight into Fairfield Hospital. Spent 3 weeks there, Entimoeba Colae. The fevors would be once a week, every week, slowing down to one a month, then longer over a 5 year period.
Certainly affected me since.

That was Egypt. The memories are still with me.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Phantom,

1. Did you feel safe there...and is it a myth that people there target sheilas with blonde hair? ???

2. The sphinx isn't that big, is it? or?

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

Liverpool said:
Phantom,

1. Did you feel safe there...and is it a myth that people there target sheilas with blonde hair?  ???

2. The sphinx isn't that big, is it? or?

I must admit that I travelled through Egypt at a very special time. In 1983 there was a calm in the Middle East. I'm not so sure now, but they didn't shoot Uncle Clinton when he was their last year, so they don't discriminate very well anyway.
There was a blonde haired girl that tagged along with us when we travelled. She was pretty  safe.

The Sphinx isn't huge, but it is a significant size.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

New York Tiger said:
Liverpool said:
the greatest stadium (Yankee Stadium, of course!  ;))

Can't be that good if they are building another one... Ready for 2008

Got so many fans, I guess they can't squeeze'em in the current stadium mate! ;D

newyorktiger

Last Year

Trust me - I deal with them (Yankee Fans) every day - generally moronic and fanatical to the point of idiocy. They think the Yanks own the league (rmind you of a team that wears black and white???).  I have always had good experiences talking to Red Sox, Cubs, and White Sox Fans (Mets fans are always depressed). Want to talk more about the game than just their team.

BTW they are OK if you don't bring up baseball.

BTW the new stadium isn't for the fans - it is to fit more corporate boxes - the seating for the average guy is still roughly the same.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

I went to Berlin in 1987 before the wall came down

My uncle was stationed there with the Army and said a visit was a must

There was a long train corridor through East Germany, and lots of checkpoints

Millitary hardware all over the place.

West Berlin was very modern, The Wall was much shorter than I imagined maybe 12 foot high

There was some amazing grafitti on the Western side, artists had drawn holes in the wall and scenes through

the other side, there were soldiers depicted blasting their way through and all manner of written grafitti

Nyet Nyet Soviet and things like that

There were tram tracks that just stopped at The Wall, where it had just been built on top

One of the funny things I saw was Mercedes pull up outside where the Eastern guard towers were

They then pulled speakers out of their cars and played the German National Anthem flat out

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Going through Checkpoint Charlie to The East was quite intimidating

The Communist guards were very suspicious of Westerners, and there were a lot of machine guns around

They made you change 30 Western Mark for 30 Eastern Mark

Unfair really, like giving them $30 and getting $3 back

I bought a lot of hot dogs as they were the equivalent of 10c each, the money was so hard to spend

The soldiers on this side were goose stepping all over the place, and there were Communist signs everywhere

And everything was very stark, just like it would have been in the 50s

On the way back you couldn't change your money back to Western Marks, what a con

There were museums dedicated to the people that had escaped, or tried

Maps of tunnels, modified cars that could slip under barriers, suspensions modified so as not to give away hidden passengers

The most enduring image was of a soldier leaping over the barbed wire as it was being rolled out Pre Wall

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

TC,
Great stuff mate! :clap
Thanks for your insight into pre-"one Germany".
Have you (or anyone else here?) had the chance to make it back to the same places/areas you visited back then, just to see the difference since the wall came down?
Would be interesting to talk to people and see the changes, I imagine.

NewYorkTiger,
I wouldn't be surprised mate, that the Yankees new stadium is really for the corporates...its getting like that with all sports/stadiums these days! :-\
Isn't the Yankees/Mets the "subway derby" or something like that?
By the way....my sister has just got back from New-York...I asked her to get me a Rangers shirt (New York Rangers, that is)...but she said it was hard to find Rangers stuff, as baseball is MUCH bigger there than ice-hockey.
What do you reckon mate...are the Rangers small there? or?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Not too many here have mentioned South America, the trek to Macchu Pichu is a close 2nd to the African safari on my list of favourite overseas experiences.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

CarnTheTiges said:
Not too many here have mentioned South America, the trek to Macchu Pichu is a close 2nd to the African safari on my list of favourite overseas experiences.

CarnTheTiges,
I guess not many Aussies go down there....usually its USA/Europe....so please, tell us more about your adventure?
What made it so special at Macchu Pichu?
Were there native tribes there? or animals? or just the scenery?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

It's hard to explain with the trek, Liverpool. I'll say up front I'm not into trekking or hiking as such, but if you ever go to Peru and get the opportunity to go to Macchu Pichu providing you're relatively fit do the 4 day trek. There were 3 ways to get to the city itself: trek, train or helicopter. The chopper is expensive and should only be done if you're really pressed for time. The train is an interesting experience and also saves time, but the only way you can really understand how amazing a feat building this city was is to trek it, you also see scenery and other villages and outposts that you won't see any other way. It's amazing to go to sleep and wake up in the morning, poke your head out of the tent and see fields of fluffy white clouds below you. There's one little outpost there and when you get high above it you can see that it was deliberately designed to be in the shape of a sacrificial knife. The inca's never developed the wheel so they had to drag huge blocks of stone across their 'highway', it's made of steps, to build the city itself. The city itself is so wonderfully preserved and how many major archaeological sites can you climb all over? The scenery the entire way is breathtaking and by doing it this way you really get to know and form pretty strong bonds with your fellow trekkers. Peru was one of the most naturally beautiful places I've ever seen. There's not a lot of wildlife on the trek, a few llama and alpaca, but that's it really. To get wildlife you really have to go into the Amazon and that's a whole other story.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

CarnTheTiges,
Sounds great! 8)
Done a quick Google, and found a couple of pics that you, and anyone else, can have a look at....looks pretty spectacular, as you've explained mate:

http://ifip.com/m-1.jpg

http://www.raingod.com/angus/Gallery/Photos/SouthAmerica/Peru/IncaTrail/images/MachuPicchu07.jpg

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

Peru was on my list of places to go, but time/money/kids have put that priority further down the list

Haven't been to Berlin, but in other places in Germany more recently have noticed Eastern

European "peasant farmers" for want of a better phrase on the streets of the bigger cities

Like Cologne. My sister lives in the Sth of Germany, nothing much has changed there

But Unification has taken it's toll on the Economy

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

Liverpool said:
mk33,

I've spent 2 weeks in Austria....mostly around Vienna, and a couple of days down in Graz.
Its just as good as Switzerland, and cheaper (as Austria has the Euro).
I haven't been across to Tyrol, to Innsbruck or to Salzburg (the day we were going to go there, its snowed heavily and we couldn't get the train there!  :'()...so looks like you've seen that part of Austria I haven't seen, and maybe I have seen the part you haven't seen!?!?  :hihi
Or have you been to Vienna before?

Have not been to Vienna Liverpool just went to Innsbruck from Vaduz and the next day to Venice.
Did not see much of Innsbuck and didn't see Tyrol or Salzburg. I have heard the Sound of Music tour is worth doing. I just did some rafting on the Pin river there then Innsbruck short town tour to see like the golden roof tower and then everyone stayed at the hotel bar drinking schnaps. There are pretty lethal as we were trying for the record we was about 30+ (all different flavours), we stopped near half way to save some money. Some of the schnaps (I think one was the Jeigenmaster) just goes right thru you and cleans your insides. Definately need see more Austria, our driver said he preffered it over Switzerland but I didn't see the best of it but did like what I saw.

TC
Berne is medievil city with buildings covering the facade, great city and loved it.
Bear Pit when I was there it wasn't a bar just a pit with bears in it.
Great report on East and West Germany, the muesam sounds great with the escapes, hopefully still there as would be good to look at.
Was there any sign that Germany was going to be unifed soon as you were only what 1-2 years before it all happened ?

Phantom
Great stories on Egypt, must be so great to see these landmarks that you learn and hear about history and Geography (similar to Colossieum and Eiffel Tower) and it is so good when you meet people on your travels and for brief period of your and theirs life you have shared/achieved a dream. Yet it is probably more relevant then than now due to no emails and mobiles but you may not see these people ever again.

CTT
Great report on your trek to Machu Pichu, like a lot of places in the world would love to go and have had some friends trek it who have taken some great pics. Need to be really fit to do it though (which I am not at the moment).

How did you go with altitude as I heard it is worse than other places ? How long were you there for and where else in Sth America did you go ?

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

No sign of Unification mk, it was very us and them

The Communist side was really quite scary, they tried to psyche you out, and it worked

I had a scare on the train out of The East, I was trying to souvenir, well knock off actually

An ashtray from an East German train, it was bolted down well

We pulled into the last station and the security was unbelieveable

They checked under the train, went everywhere with dogs and guns

I was *smile* scared that the ashtray would fall off when they searched my compartment

Luckily the remaining screw held on just long enough to get me back to The West

The toilet paper on the train was the roughest grade of paper I have ever seen

You could almost get splinters off it, pity I didn't take some of that

It is amazing the comforts we take for granted

Then it was off to Hamburg, The Reeperbahn, and Amsterdam