U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

If the only good thing to out of the election is to see The Age's Paul "democracy is broken" McGeough's daily rants amount to nought, it's worth it.

Suck a fart you poisonous *smile*.

BTW just to clarify, my avatar and signature are just a way of taking the *smile* on the whole election - not necessarily reflecting my political persuasions..

“The state… consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can’t get, and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time it is made good by looting ‘A’ to satisfy ‘B’. In other words, [the state] is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advanced auction on stolen goods.”
– H.L. Mencken

Drain the swamp

Wonder what old wrecks will be revealed under all that Washington DC sludge.

Wish we could drain the Canberra Political Triangle swamp - reckon there would be some old stinking carcasses found.

America has traded a respected, thoughtful, intelligent President for a hamster that just crawled out of a sauce bottle and humped it's leg.

SimpsonsTrumpEpisode2000.jpg

spook said:
Bernie would have won in a landslide. Democrats' chickens coming home to roost for ignoring the people.

dunno about a landslide, but definitely could have won. We'll never know of course. Agree with the rest.

tigersnake said:
dunno about a landslide, but definitely could have won. We'll never know of course. Agree with the rest.
Would have won. Would have taken the overwhelming majority of the working class protest vote that got Trump over the line. Would have inspired more people to get out and vote than Hillary the Dull. Would have won easily.

So as has happened now several times to shocking effect "The Party Machine" has completely *smile*ed up the democratic process. Party politics is broke. Instead of the people leading to way, the party and its shadowy machine subverts the will of the people. Trump and Sanders were "independants" who understood that without a party machine behind them they had "Buckleys" of getting the nomination.

Progressive politics is in free fall. The left is broken because it has allowed its own lunatic fringe to gag it. Islamaphobia, transphobia, trigger warnings, cutural appropriation, the consonant soup that is LGBTIQ...., the offence olympics. The rednecks are having a field day. Trump can say anything and get cheered for it. Obama/Clinton can't even speak the name of the actual ideology that is running rampant over the middle east and taking violent holiday trips into Europe.

KnightersRevenge said:
So as has happened now several times to shocking effect "The Party Machine" has completely *smile*ed up the democratic process. Party politics is broke. Instead of the people leading to way, the party and its shadowy machine subverts the will of the people. Trump and Sanders were "independants" who understood that without a party machine behind them they had "Buckleys" of getting the nomination.

Progressive politics is in free fall. The left is broken because it has allowed its own lunatic fringe to gag it. Islamaphobia, transphobia, trigger warnings, cutural appropriation, the consonant soup that is LGBTIQ...., the offence olympics. The rednecks are having a field day. Trump can say anything and get cheered for it. Obama/Clinton can't even speak the name of the actual ideology that is running rampant over the middle east and taking violent holiday trips into Europe.

The party system is broken, no doubt, and western societies are deeply divided, in large part as a result of that brokeness. But progressive politics isn't in freefall, it's 51% v 49% remember, as was Brexit, as was our election. That's not freefall. Trumps smashed through the party machine to get the nomination, Sanders couldn't, amazingly close but no cigar. I think spook is right, both Sanders and Trump were against the party machines, Sanders minus the hate and minus the big end of town. The Republican's inability to nobble Trump like the Democrats did Sanders was the difference, a less effective machine meant victory.

KnightersRevenge said:
America has traded a respected, thoughtful, intelligent President for a hamster that just crawled out of a sauce bottle and humped it's leg.

Less a case of Trump winning than the Democrats losing. The loony Left is causing its traditional heartland to abandon the party. "My enemy's enemy is my friend."

how underwhelming is Turnbull? geez he is the most unconvincing PM in my time. The more convincing he tries to be the less convincing he is.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Trump's projected as a certain winner in Pennsylvania. 20 Monopoly points = Hello Mr. President.

WTF were they thinking?? They were safe Democratic 'seats' and now do a schizo by voting against.

Harry said:
Looking forward to Ants sky is falling end of the world rant

Hehehe... at about 1pm today I was composing that but I'm philosophical now. They voted for him, they got him. That's democracy. It may not be that bad - hopefully he'll surround himself with competent people and it won't be a total clusterfuck. And it does confirm that voters wanted something different than the status quo - whatever that something different is...

It should be entertaining at the very least.

Pretty much confirmed what a terrible choice Hillary was over Bernie. Bernie may have lost too, but it would have been two outsiders fighting the election instead of one insider and one outsider.

Unknowns in the short term.

Potentially great for a galvanised left in the middle to long term.

The left will never have been more powerful, in office or opposition, since the mid 60s (if they can capitalise).

Huge wake up call for the Democrats.

Big business will have no choice but to move behind the democrats en masse.

The white working class have had their whinge. Pendulum will swing just as hard the other way. The ebb and flow of history.

Let's just hope the world survives the next four years.