Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
So given it has been widely accepted that there is an AFL and umpire led conspiracy to prevent Richmond having success by manipulating free kick counts, we can only assume that campaign now sees Geelong as a bigger threat and is focussed on them.

I'm sure there will be no shortage of PRE posters ready to join me in demanding a fairer go for Geelong from the umpires, a necessary piece of bipartisan support to maintain football's integrity.

2017 we were minus 60
2018 we were minus 122
2019 we were minus 31

Be intersting to see what Geelongs were, no where near as bad as ours I'd suggest

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
2017 we were minus 60
2018 we were minus 122
2019 we were minus 31

Be interesting to see what Geelong's were, no where near as bad as ours I'd suggest

AFL Tables is your friend!

Geelong:
2017: -13, 97.53%
2018: +4, 100.82%
2019: +25, 105.61%

Geelong, despite trying really hard, don't do so well out of the umps as you would think.

Now, Collingwood . . .
2017: +45, 112.89%
2018: +111, 123.87%
2019: +88, 122.8

Yep, it's Collingwood against the world, they're always hard done by. More like the umpires' fave. The umps really tried hard for them in 2018, WCE were even negative on frees in 2018 (rare) and still the umps couldn't get Collingwood over the line.

In 2020 we're under 90% again, Hawthorn under 80% but Collingwood doing well with over 120% free kick ratio. Mind you, North are over 130% :oops: Geelong just under 80% so doing worse than us, all that diving ain't working Cats, time to keep your feet and ditch that strategy.

I know there is no reason these will be equal, but there comes a point where you do wonder if the ratio is getting out of hand. Then you watch games and some teams just seem to get a better deal from the umps, and this is borne out in the free kick stats.

DS

• Wow

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
And these are the cut and dried frees.
What about the 50/50s?
I am no conspiracy theorist but the numbers simply do not stand up to scrutiny.
Particularly when sides openly admitted to copying our game style after 2017.

Reactions: 1 user

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
Stevic, Deboy and Fleer are the umps for the Eagles game. Curtis makes me nervous :)

• Wow

Larrikin

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2003
I hate gambling and especially gambling in sports with a passion. I even hate and refuse to do footy tips for the simple reason that if I tip a team to win that I hate, I sort of have a vested interest in wanting that team to win. That would even be worse if I actually gambled on the game. I enjoy watching every game without any vested interest whatsoever and unreservedly barracking against the teams I hate the most!

When going to the games live, I hate seeing all these different odds not just regarding who will win, but what the line is or who will kick the first goal and all these other nonsense odds. At times it wasn't enough to just show them on the screen at half time, but we had to hear people discuss it over the loud speakers too. The AFL preach about being good and virtuous, yet they allow gambling odds and discussion to be shown on the screen for young and those that may have gambling addictions to see.

However given all that there is only one set of odds I would like to see (not that I'd want anyone to actually gamble on them). The odds I'd like to see is the odds of what team will win the free kick count. While we are at it, lets have the odds showing the line for free kicks too. For example, even though games are shorter and at a neutral venue, I would say the line for the Richmond vs West Coast game would be at least 8 in favor of Wet Toast getting more free kicks.

The only reason I'd like to see these free kick odds regularly is that it might actually start shedding light as to how certain teams get favoured with the free kick count no matter where games are played. If West Coast plays Richmond at the MCG, to actually see the odds well in favour of West Coast and the line being something like 10 in their favour MIGHT get the journos realising that some interstate teams especially West Coast, still win the free kick count away from home. This might stop them rambling about the excuse being the stupid noise of affirmation being the reason. Commentators and journos might actually start doing some research for a change and see that year in and year out the same teams keep getting the short end of the stick (ie Richmond), while other teams get favored greatly despite where they play (West Coast and Collingwood). West Coast in their 34 years in the competition has only lost the free kick count 1 time, and barely lost it that time. Collingwood too are winning the Free Kick count by huge margins for a number of years now.

So what might actually transpire by revealing the free kick odds is that over time, umpires start to finally adjust this farce somewhat due to the constant discussion on how certain teams keep getting the raw end of the stick compared to others.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I hate gambling and especially gambling in sports with a passion. I even hate and refuse to do footy tips for the simple reason that if I tip a team to win that I hate, I sort of have a vested interest in wanting that team to win. That would even be worse if I actually gambled on the game. I enjoy watching every game without any vested interest whatsoever and unreservedly barracking against the teams I hate the most!

When going to the games live, I hate seeing all these different odds not just regarding who will win, but what the line is or who will kick the first goal and all these other nonsense odds. At times it wasn't enough to just show them on the screen at half time, but we had to hear people discuss it over the loud speakers too. The AFL preach about being good and virtuous, yet they allow gambling odds and discussion to be shown on the screen for young and those that may have gambling addictions to see.

However given all that there is only one set of odds I would like to see (not that I'd want anyone to actually gamble on them). The odds I'd like to see is the odds of what team will win the free kick count. While we are at it, lets have the odds showing the line for free kicks too. For example, even though games are shorter and at a neutral venue, I would say the line for the Richmond vs West Coast game would be at least 8 in favor of Wet Toast getting more free kicks.

The only reason I'd like to see these free kick odds regularly is that it might actually start shedding light as to how certain teams get favoured with the free kick count no matter where games are played. If West Coast plays Richmond at the MCG, to actually see the odds well in favour of West Coast and the line being something like 10 in their favour MIGHT get the journos realising that some interstate teams especially West Coast, still win the free kick count away from home. This might stop them rambling about the excuse being the stupid noise of affirmation being the reason. Commentators and journos might actually start doing some research for a change and see that year in and year out the same teams keep getting the short end of the stick (ie Richmond), while other teams get favored greatly despite where they play (West Coast and Collingwood). West Coast in their 34 years in the competition has only lost the free kick count 1 time, and barely lost it that time. Collingwood too are winning the Free Kick count by huge margins for a number of years now.

So what might actually transpire by revealing the free kick odds is that over time, umpires start to finally adjust this farce somewhat due to the constant discussion on how certain teams keep getting the raw end of the stick compared to others.

Don’t need gambling odds. Need the AFL to publicly release stats on umpiring. Stat boffins would then do the analysis and we’d have a discussion on it pretty soon. The afl should have these so they can coach and improve the umpires. They won’t release due to the scrutiny and witch hunting it would cause.

I think the following would do it.

Frees/50s paid %correct By umpire, players involved And type of free
Frees/50s missed / not paid By umpire, players involved and type of free
Geo tag on ground all decision locations
Would love a free paid but open to interpretation stat % (ie you could pay it either way)
Have video Of decision/non decision available for all these data points.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
And these are the cut and dried frees.
What about the 50/50s?
I am no conspiracy theorist but the numbers simply do not stand up to scrutiny.
Particularly when sides openly admitted to copying our game style after 2017.

Also frees in F50.
Naked eye. Down the table. We have to get our head ripped off to get frees...

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Be interesting to see how Tom Lynch gets treated by the umpires.
I think they will over compensate and give him a few frees.

Especially as we are not playing in front of a rabid WA crowd

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
After last weeks rarity of winning the free kick count (by 1!) we resumed normal transmission losing the count 22-14.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
After last weeks rarity of winning the free kick count (by 1!) we resumed normal transmission losing the count 22-14.

Had a look on a few club forums and they all seemed to think the Eagles were robbed. Same when it was 14-11 v Gold Coast and 22-11 v Port.

Do we flagrantly overstep the line and actually get treated more leniently than we should? Are we that much worse than every other team? Are neutrals consistently betting against us, or are they blinded by hate during our games?

Larrikin

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2003
For example, even though games are shorter and at a neutral venue, I would say the line for the Richmond vs West Coast game would be at least 8 in favour of Wet Toast getting more free kicks.
Actual Free Kick Count : Richmond 14, West Coast 22.

And folks, that shows how predictable it is.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users