Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I reckon we gave 5 or 6 dumb unnecessary frees tonight. Frustration, arrogance, not caring, tired, who knows why but they were obvious and costly.

Reactions: 1 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
I felt umpires favoured Eagles and unfortunately cost us in the last 5mins.
In saying that, game should have been over.
A big big choke!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I am no way inclined to defend the umpires. But I don’t care about them tonight.

We blew that game all on our own. 22 points up with 10 minutes to play.

We *smile* the bed.

Reactions: 7 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
That Marlion dangerous tackle is on the podium for the worst free kick I've ever seen.

Reactions: 9 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Umpiring wasn't good, wasn't terrible, handful of howlers. We got the worst of it to the tune of -10 for the 7th time from 13 games.

The free to Allen was a special decision. The last time we got a "dangerous tackle" free was when Dempsey spine-planted Deledio with a WWF move.

-66 for the year. Next worst is -18.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Funny how WCE get massively favoured in the free kicks in Perth, Freo don't get the same favouritism over there, although they have done a bit better this year they just aren't in the same league as West Coast.

Now, it has been pointed out that we have been adjusting our game style to the new rules and doing more short kicks and chip passes of late. Apparently this has meant that we are playing in such a way as to no longer give away so many free kicks . . . well that hypothesis is firmly out the window. We were on track for way more uncontested marks than our usual game tonight and still lost the free kick count by a mile.

We saw the usual tonight - not by much, but WCE normally give away 16.9 free kicks a game, tonight it was 15. Richmond always seem to face every team on their most angelic behaviour - sorry, this just isn't sustainable, what it is, is bulls***.

So, what does this look like now that normal service has resumed, it looks like this:

RFC Frees F&A 2010-2021 to R13 2021.jpg

That yawning gap is because they pay bulls*** frees against us (dangerous tackle and throw were features near the end tonight) and barely pay any for us.

We not only have the largest free kick differential by a mile, we also have the lowest number of free kicks received. We average 16.08 free kicks for a game, I haven't crunched the numbers but no-one else is close. We clearly have an effect on our opposition such that they suddenly play like angels.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
That Marlion dangerous tackle is on the podium for the worst free kick I've ever seen.

X2.

Normally The AFL renounces these uber-howlers.

I think theres more chance that the Dalai Llama marries Michealia Cash in Vegas

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Mycotchinrules

Mar 17, 2014
X2.

Normally The AFL renounces these uber-howlers.

I think theres more chance that the Dalai Llama marries Michealia Cash in Vegas
Ha. Not sure I'd hold your breath Easy.

If Gil does do a press conference, brace yourself for him explaining that yeah, Ryan's kick only went 8 metres, but we signed it off because the 'theatre' of the game is more important than 4 points.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Should have won the game by five or six goals, seriously shot ourselves in the foot with a combination of *smile* skills n stupid brain farts at crucial moments.
Apart from the usual free kick fest for Wet Coke over there, the two umpire decisions that pissed me off the most were the non payment of clear marks in front of goal. One to Cujo n the other I think was George.
The dangerous tackle against Fish was probably as rancid a call as you can get as well.
Top it off with the MRO call to send the Crowbaits player straight to the tribunal for a ruling on whether players are permitted to contest a loose ball in future or not, I reckon I might be done with AFL footy by the end of this season. Game of Tiddly Winks would be more enthralling n contested than future footy.

Mycotchinrules

Mar 17, 2014
The umpires didnt win them the game
Duds like chol Flappers Pickett Caddy won them the game
You are correct Zips, we had some passengers last night.....

BUT if the umpire makes the correct call on the Kennedy NON mark, then we get a stoppage, flood and win.

Weak umpiring gave them a chance to win, and Kennedy was superb under pressure

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
You are correct Zips, we had some passengers last night.....

BUT if the umpire makes the correct call on the Kennedy NON mark, then we get a stoppage, flood and win.

Weak umpiring gave them a chance to win, and Kennedy was superb under pressure
Kennedy was behind the boundary and still kicked it.
Flappers was there twice and he missed twice.
Thats the difference.
Our skill level needs to improve.
Its hard to watch at times.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
A negative 10 balance is just our lot in life, its not right but hey what can we do about it.
There were about 10 times last night the whole ground had no idea what the free was paid for or who was even going to get the free! The umps got too involved for me in the last and it had a heap to do with the noise of affirmation I can tell you. The crowd were very influential in the last.
They missed heaps and paid some soft ones.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
From the very start when CJ wasn’t paid that mark - I knew it wasn’t going to be a good night for us.
and then a holding the ball against him, when he clearly had no prior and the ball spilt out. im sure there is an umpiring expert amongst us who can explain that free?

• Haha