Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
We gave away a bunch of dumb free kicks last night, that were our own fault. Yeah the dangerous tackle was BS, but that was one kick.
I don't know how many tackles I saw that were head high. That's a skill error by our lot. Not going low enough. We can be the master of our own destiny, but I don't think we can be bothered.
We're just hoping we get to September and then turn it on.
Not going to happen.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
and then a holding the ball against him, when he clearly had no prior and the ball spilt out. im sure there is an umpiring expert amongst us who can explain that free?
Yes and they may also explain the dangerous tackle free against Marlion which is probably the worst I can recall.

Any uproar in the media about that ridiculous decision? Oh that’s right it was against Richmond so all is fair.

Crickets………………….

Reactions: 5 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Yes and they may also explain the dangerous tackle free against Marlion which is probably the worst I can recall.

Any uproar in the media about that ridiculous decision? Oh that’s right it was against Richmond so all is fair.

Crickets………………….
BT did say 'Boy o boy, I dont think that's right' , and that was the end of it.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Crickets………………….
Only because it was a point. If that free kick had decided the game..
I still think the club needs to put in a please explain. That was at a crucial point in the game.
Absolutely appalling decision that deserves further scrutiny.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
From the very start when CJ wasn’t paid that mark - I knew it wasn’t going to be a good night for us.
Been one of my in a small minority campaigns - pay more marks. ... If the game wants high marks, pack marks but is allowing "blocks" (shepherding when ball is more than 5 m away in old parLance) to prevent players getting into marking contests then they have to allow marks such as CCJ to be paid. Control of the bal is as subjective as any other element of umpiring so why make a mark the only one that is not?

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ha. Not sure I'd hold your breath Easy.

If Gil does do a press conference, brace yourself for him explaining that yeah, Ryan's kick only went 8 metres, but we signed it off because the 'theatre' of the game is more important than 4 points.

im not outraged on Ryans kick. might have been 15m, might not. I wouldnt have called it with 50,000 mental cases spitting at me. 10 of them happens every week.

But the dangerous textbook perfect tackle in the goal mouth? thats a whole new thing. a very unique flavour of sodomy.

Even if he had paid it and called 'in the back', I could deal with it.

but I agree with Grimesy ..... 'WTF are you suppose to do? carry a pillow?'

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
im not outraged on Ryans kick. might have been 15m, might not. I wouldnt have called it with 50,000 mental cases spitting at me. 10 of them happens every week.

But the dangerous textbook perfect tackle in the goal mouth? thats a whole new thing. a very unique flavour of sodomy.

Even if he had paid it and called 'in the back', I could deal with it.

but I agree with Grimesy ..... 'WTF are you suppose to do? carry a pillow?'

Yeah the Marlion one and the Grimes handball (which he did handball). Ironically enough, Rosebury was out in the media this week, saying that even if it glances off the fist its still a legal handball, well the Grimes one certainly did that and resulted directly in a goal for Waterman when we were running the ball out of our defence. Massive swing with that one.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah the Marlion one and the Grimes handball (which he did handball). Ironically enough, Rosebury was out in the media this week, saying that even if it glances off the fist its still a legal handball, well the Grimes one certainly did that and resulted directly in a goal for Waterman when we were running the ball out of our defence. Massive swing with that one.
The irony hey. We’ve been copping it all year with teams blatantly throwing the ball against us and not being penalised. So we have a player who actually effects a legal handball which is incorrectly deemed a throw and the opposition score a goal from it. In a game we lose by 4 points.

*smile* unbelievable.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 3 users

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
So Jeremy Camerons " non mark" against the swans was measure at 21 metres, Ryans last night was under 10 metres. Thats not even a CLOSE comparison!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Crickets………………….
The Pickett tackle could set a precedent which could damage the game. If that’s going to be called dangerous then we may as well ban tackling. For years the AFL have wanted to refer to it as contact sport, but not actually allow any contact. That decision is another step on the way to achieving this goal.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Been one of my in a small minority campaigns - pay more marks. ... If the game wants high marks, pack marks but is allowing "blocks" (shepherding when ball is more than 5 m away in old parLance) to prevent players getting into marking contests then they have to allow marks such as CCJ to be paid. Control of the bal is as subjective as any other element of umpiring so why make a mark the only one that is not?
I thought CCJ was denied 2 marks that should have been paid and there's the Castagna one as well. It drives me nuts how players almost have to grab the ball and put it in a backpack before they get paid a mark. Seems to happen to our boys especially. These marks were paid for years before the wobbly current 'interpretations'.

Last edited:

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
So Jeremy Camerons " non mark" against the swans was measure at 21 metres, Ryans last night was under 10 metres. Thats not even a CLOSE comparison!
Did I hear it was taken at 11, however by the time it was paid it was 8.5 , if true gee that’s poor , 13-17 ok but basically a third off , simply very bloody poor

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
We seemed to be gassed at the end, but would WCE have won without the frees paid?

Unlikely.

DS
No way, DS. Yes we almost did deserve to lose from the wasted opportunities and really poor frees we gave away along with some really poor decision-making.
However, those crucial and highly questionable decisions in Q4 and at the death did get WCE over the line in the end. It appeared to me that the umps clearly had an agenda, or were they just responsive to the noise of affirmation BS? A differential of -10 along with WC giving away even less than usual will usually make enough difference in a big, tight game.

No way was Kennedy's a mark; nowhere near 15m and it also hit the ground as he skimmed along with it. No surprise it was given though after the earlier decisions paid against Grimes and Marlion.

Yet CCJ's two and Castagna's marks not paid with much more claim to being legit.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Another that should have been paid against Wet Coke but obviously wasn't was the unrealistic marking attempt / block by Darling late in the game. Went up n came down on top of Noah I think it was before the ball was even in the vicinity, uncontested mark to his Wet Coke team mate.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
We gave away a bunch of dumb free kicks last night, that were our own fault. Yeah the dangerous tackle was BS, but that was one kick.
I don't know how many tackles I saw that were head high. That's a skill error by our lot. Not going low enough. We can be the master of our own destiny, but I don't think we can be bothered.
We're just hoping we get to September and then turn it on.
Not going to happen.
The 'bunch of dumb free kicks' made me very frustrated too. So often they are avoidable, tackles going high instead of between shoulder and hip, Short's really stupid knock-out of the ball on Darling and more. But I still think the questionable umpiring decisions were the difference in the end with the -10 frees gap that ensured they could bridge the ~4 goal margin late. Especially in last few minutes.

However, Dimma must take responsibility for the dumb ones: it's all down to the training and prep. In the past I believe he didn't care enough about this, thinking/believing we were could afford to not care much about losing so much on frees because we were good enough to win in spite of it.

That's no longer the case. We are no longer 4-6 goals better than all the other top sides.

It's come back to haunt us and is now costing games. Time to train it differently to get better, Dimma. It's the old saying - don't let yourself get beaten by what you already know.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Unfortunately, due to the way our former great game is adjudicated now, i am no longer a passionate AFL supporter.
Passionate Richmond, yes.

Rarely do i watch any other games now.
I do however check scores before i go to bed (dont read the articles).
Watching AFL however, is very hard.
I used to watch 4 or 5 matches a weekend!

I actually tried Rugby again last week.
Penrith and Wests i think it was, well that product is 10x worse than AFL now.

Looking at the next generation, well the kids i work with at school mostly play basketball and soccer.
And for whats its worth, my son asked me 15 minutes ago, can we have a kick of soccer (normally its footy)
There you have it, i going for a kick of the round ball.
Catch yas.

Ps-Dangerous tackle free kick got me last night, poor product AFL.
Too busy worrying about the LGBQ123XYZ

Reactions: 2 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
I'm still seething.

Last 30 seconds... Why didn't Chol get 50 after his mark?

And last roll of the dice, Shai gets blocked from competing for the mark. They'd pay that in the first quarter, but not in the last.

Does my head in

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The Pickett tackle could set a precedent which could damage the game. If that’s going to be called dangerous then we may as well ban tackling. For years the AFL have wanted to refer to it as contact sport, but not actually allow any contact. That decision is another step on the way to achieving this goal.
If free kicks like that become the norm, I'll walk from the sport.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Cj went for a mark early on when he touched and grabbed at at least 4 times. The knobs called play on.
In the first 5 minutes of the Collingwood Melbourne game, they have paid marks for half of what Cj did.
The Vickery look alike for Melbourne didn't hold it longer then a second. And the weed paid a mark.
The game is fkked.