Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
I was hoping they would refer this as the “Selwood rule”
Unfortunately Selwood was nowhere to be seen in the three examples used to show what constituted a free against the player deemed to be initiating the high contact on AFL Tonight.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Unfortunately Selwood was nowhere to be seen in the three examples used to show what constituted a free against the player deemed to be initiating the high contact on AFL Tonight.
There’s an unwritten law that Selwood is not to be criticised ever, for anything. He’s taken over from GJR on that score.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I was hoping they would refer this as the “Selwood rule”

I feel like the entire footy world is gaslighting us... we have had the Selwood rule introduced before, haven't we?

Or do I have false memories of the Selwood rule being brought in about 5-6 years ago only to be unofficially shelved under Geelong's iron grip over the umpiring department?

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah, like the non-decision against Nank on the weekend.

They bring in a new directive to stop the Selwoods if the AFL and it's used against Nank of all people.

Yeah that was a joke that one. Bend down to pick the ball up, hit front on head high, pay HTB for a duck. Would love the umps to tell me how you can pick the ball up without pushing your body down. If they think thats the same as a Ginnivan / Selwood / Shuey type action then they should just give the game up right now.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I feel like the entire footy world is gaslighting us... we have had the Selwood rule introduced before, haven't we?

Or do I have false memories of the Selwood rule being brought in about 5-6 years ago only to be unofficially shelved under Geelong's iron grip over the umpiring department?
Yeah, there was a crackdown or interpretation definement (that’s not actually a word) just like todays but it was never implemented.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
"My care factor for what the rules are has reduced enormously over time," Scott said.

"I kind of see it as a badge of honour to understand it better than anyone else."

Examples of Salty just "understanding the rules better than everyone else"...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

And of course - Everyone's favourite....

giphy.webp

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We are lucky the number 23 Findlay the smiling *smile* wasn't selected to umpire the 2020 GF.
He was the emergency umpire sitting next to HockingScreenshot_20220720-190742_Samsung Internet.jpg

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The AFL will completely balls this up. They can't do rule adjustments. That needs thought, time, development and testing. They are incapable of any of that. This will be Scott calling all the umps into meeting room 2 and saying righto no more frees for ducking fellas.

Their so called 'tweak' of the protected area rule has been a farce, they just threw it out.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The AFL will completely balls this up. They can't do rule adjustments. That needs thought, time, development and testing. They are incapable of any of that. This will be Scott calling all the umps into meeting room 2 and saying righto no more frees for ducking fellas.

Their so called 'tweak' of the protected area rule has been a farce, they just threw it out.
Have you noticed "STAND!" has become "Outside five!"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Have you noticed "STAND!" has become "Outside five!"
The just make it up. They don't pay anywhere near the attention they used to to the where the actual mark is now. If your somewhere near it you 'stand' if your not you're 'outside 5' which is sometimes actually 3, other times it is 8.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The just make it up. They don't pay anywhere near the attention they used to to the where the actual mark is now. If your somewhere near it you 'stand' if your not you're 'outside 5' which is sometimes actually 3, other times it is 8.
and putting players taking the kick and the MOM on the line? Thats gone by the wayside, its as if they think or hope that we won't notice. These are fundamental elements to the game. By any objective measure its a complete debacle.

Reactions: 1 users