Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Are there enough "good" umpires to go around?

The grand final is usually the best umpired game of the year - simply because it has the best umpires of the year.

There is already a lack of quality, can only see it lowering the standard.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
45 cameras and zebras. “STOOOOP.” “STAAAAAND.” “WAIT”. “BOOTH REVIEW.”
“ON REPORT”. “75 METRE PENALTY”. “FREE KIIIIIICK”.

View attachment 18196
:mhihi Could be truer than you think along with 'time outs'.

Flog: whistle blows, "number 10, offence Richmond, facemask....75 metre penalty"

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

The grand final is usually the best umpired game of the year - simply because it has the best umpires of the year.

Yep. Get ready for more 6 week short course Corn Flakes types.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

From what I heard they are saying this will cut the running loads of the umpires down so much they will be able to do more games per round so it may have the opposite impact.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Hopefully one will be able to position boundary side to catch the blatant blindside throws. Or maybe they don't think it's worth it now Chuckwood's retired.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Hopefully one will be able to position boundary side to catch the blatant blindside throws. Or maybe they don't think it's worth it now Chuckwood's retired.
I doubt it. But I am predicting that some time this season there will be a major crackdown on ducking now that he's gone.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
How much testing and trialling do they need? They've been working on it for 4 months, and now they have a full range of intra club scratches and practice games to work through it, which must be about 3 or 4 rounds of footy.
Given the coaching being given to an umpire during a recent match sim (with 4 umpires) and the umpire department's own admission that talent is in short supply I'd say there will be teething problems.

And by coaching I mean an umpire's coach dragged an umpire off the ground and "lectured" on positioning, body angle and what field view to focus on. And yes we could overhear some of what was said.

• Angry

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
And by coaching I mean an umpire's coach dragged an umpire off the ground and "lectured" on positioning, body angle and what field view to focus on. And yes we could overhear some of what was said.
"When you're in Richmond's F50 you need to position yourself so that you can't see Lynch being held. This often entails positioning your head up your arse."

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Guaranteed. Throws keep the ball moving, don't you know. Just as long as they're lateral or backwards. Anything to avoid a scrum, we don't want to be rugby.
Exactly. Keep it moving. We’ll turn a blind eye…just keep it moving you MOFO’s ….we got bills to pay !!!

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I doubt it. But I am predicting that some time this season there will be a major crackdown on ducking now that he's gone.
No way Shadforths. They have a bunch down there who have been taught the craft well eg Dangerfield, Guthrie, Miers etc They all do it.

We should do it. Oh yeah….”PLAY OOOOON !!”

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
With 4 field umpires the AFL needs to show transparency and publish what the Umps whistle KPI is. How many times must they blow their whistle during a match to meet their KPIs and be seen as effective.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I reckon the introduction of the fourth umpire is directly related to the retirement of Selwood.
He was usually doing a lot of the umpiring when he was playing, so now they have to fill that gap.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users