Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I reckon the introduction of the fourth umpire is directly related to the retirement of Selwood.
He was usually doing a lot of the umpiring when he was playing, so now they have to fill that gap.
With Selwood out I expect the overall free kick count for this season to drop significantly

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
From what I heard they are saying this will cut the running loads of the umpires down so much they will be able to do more games per round so it may have the opposite impact.
They've been crappin on about that since they first went from one umpire to two. Grounds aren't getting any bigger, but they're certainly getting more congested.

As for that dopey Glouftsis crappin on about games getting longer n umpires more fatigued. What a load of bollocks, cut down the in game commercial breaks n umpires waving pointing, trying to coach and arse waggling every time there's a stoppage and they'll save at least five minutes of wasted stoppage time every qtr.

• Love

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Given the coaching being given to an umpire during a recent match sim (with 4 umpires) and the umpire department's own admission that talent is in short supply I'd say there will be teething problems.

And by coaching I mean an umpire's coach dragged an umpire off the ground and "lectured" on positioning, body angle and what field view to focus on. And yes we could overhear some of what was said.

Sounds like the sort of coaching you'd expect to see in the preseason I reckon.

I'm sure there will be teething problems, just like players won't get the structures right that they worked on all preseason either. The big difference is people will accept mistakes from the players.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Pretty sure that horse bolted last year.
Some progress was made but a fair way to go. Can't stand all the stagging and ducking that's been creeping into the game.

And while I'm at it-if the AFL really wants to protect the head then stop rewarding players for causing others to tackle them high you *smile* idiots.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s the same as always: frees against that you could make a minor argument for, but never come back the other way. A favourable eye in other words.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It’s the same as always: frees against that you could make a minor argument for, but never come back the other way. A favourable eye in other words.
Flogs will be flogs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 23 on the field doesn't matter...

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The umps using this praccy match to get in to umpiring Richmond form.

• Angry

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
New rule.
You can’t body a player out of a contest.
*Only applies If you’re a Richmond player

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
As everyone other than the halfwits at the AFL predicted the umpiring is worses. You've got nerds with no idea about the game or how its played plucking free kicks they read about in a text book. *smile* hopeless

• Angry

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I’m not one-eyed but………
I could point out at least 10 times where the umps were inconsistent against us. Maybe not wrong but definitely inconsistent. Some decisions you have no idea why.
I know it’s only a scratch match but this *smile* happens all year to us.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
New rule.
You can’t body a player out of a contest.
*Only applies If you’re a Richmond player
Noticed that was constantly paid against our backmen
The moment one of our backmen stands their ground the opposition player just plays for the free

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
Noticed that was constantly paid against our backmen
The moment one of our backmen stands their ground the opposition player just plays for the free
Umpiring is crap, and it aint gonna change any time soon. Richo? Why not 10 umps. *smile*

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I’m not one-eyed but………
I could point out at least 10 times where the umps were inconsistent against us. Maybe not wrong but definitely inconsistent. Some decisions you have no idea why.
I know it’s only a scratch match but this *smile* happens all year to us.
Adding extra blind/biased/*smile* field umpires won’t change anything.
They’re still blind/biased/dickheads whether there’s 2,3 or 6

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users