Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
We need Dimma to come out after a game one day, and be like this:

Fyi - not safe for work.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Magpies continue to be the umpires darlings, they received 34 free kicks against Port-15. There were 36 in total in the Tiges V Crows game 16-20.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I thought the umps , like last week, weren’t TOO bad. Could’ve been better of course.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah I'll tick them off for yesterday. I thought Port were shafted, not that it had any impact on the result.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Not even big richo could argue weitering was doing anything other than blocking Tom.

No doubt he is trying to keep him from the ball but I think you can argue either way about the free kick.

A still shot really doesn't tell you anything, when you look at the full replay they are both engaged from the time the ball is kicked, it's not like Weitering moves to get into his path.

Weitering is allowed to exist and engage his opponent, he doesn't have to say 'sorry Tom, the ball has gone that side, I'll step aside and let you past', so the free kick really comes back to is he making a realistic attempt to contest the ball?

If his team mate wasn't there would he have pushed off Lynch to try and mark or spoil the ball? I think you could make both cases equally well, which is why these decisions are very hard.

What I would say is the Taranto thread has a post about him executing a block on Weitering that helps Lynch take a mark to tie up the game so all the woe is us stuff is complete nonsense, as usual.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
The Magpies continue to be the umpires darlings, they received 34 free kicks against Port-15. There were 36 in total in the Tiges V Crows game 16-20.
So if the pies are playing the Tigers style circa 2017-20 how come they have a positive free kick differential? Have the rules changed?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
So if the pies are playing the Tigers style circa 2017-20 how come they have a positive free kick differential? Have the rules changed?

Because they're not. There's just aspects of how they move the ball that are similar.

They are third last in the AFL this year for pressure acts and below AFL average for tackles and about average for tackles inside 50.

They also have half the defensive 1 on 1 contests vs AFL average (last in AFL) and are 15th for spoils.

Less pressure, tackles, contests and spoils. An umpire loving, AFL sycophant might try and explain that lack of physical engagement with the opposition as a logical reason for why you might give away less free kicks. But that would be stupid of course.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I can't remember seeing more than 1 free between start of 3rd and midway through the last. There was a lot of holding if our midfielders that weren't being paid.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Well the umpiring standard a level down is horrible - you could flip a coin and get more decisions right than what they are paying in the VFL today.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
The end of the Freo v Kangas game reminded me of our game last year versus Sydney. The umpires had no idea what to do in either game. They AFL ticked off on both decisions claiming that ARC had vision/audio that backed up the umpire’s decision. The AFL are treating its fans and members like idiots when they make these sweeping statements without showing us what the ARC sees or hears.
And I’m not even going to mention the Lynch decision versus Brisbane in the final last year

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
The end of the Freo v Kangas game reminded me of our game last year versus Sydney. The umpires had no idea what to do in either game. They AFL ticked off on both decisions claiming that ARC had vision/audio that backed up the umpire’s decision. The AFL are treating its fans and members like idiots when they make these sweeping statements without showing us what the ARC sees or hears.
And I’m not even going to mention the Lynch decision versus Brisbane in the final last year
Ahh, but you just did. Do not fall for that one ever again. :ROFLMAO:

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Going to be a big week for the umpire defenders.

I picked a couple of arguments at the coffee shop this morning just to stay sharp, this is a Grand Final preview week for sure.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Going to be a big week for the umpire defenders.

I picked a couple of arguments at the coffee shop this morning just to stay sharp, this is a Grand Final preview week for sure.
Yeh, this could be a single game record free kick differential.

And still the Pies fans will feel hard done by.