Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Just a point of order.
We’ve played 5 games.
Geelong, Western Bulldogs and Brisbane have played 4 games.
So our usual position is resumed. We drop to 18.
We were on -17 2 games ago. We're being umpired differently last 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
From the aged
Frustrated goal umpires met AFL football operations boss Josh Mahoney on Tuesday to discuss score reviews, with the league agreeing to inform fans that umpires are merely following a directive to call for reviews any time the ball travels close to goal posts or there is any doubt about it crossing the goal line.
Goal umpires through the first four rounds were becoming frustrated at the growing perception that they had lost their confidence to make decisions they would have previously made.

So it’s another stupid directive by AFL
it’s not enough to review goals within the 30 seconds before centre bounce AFL want to stop game for minutes every time ball goes near posts or maybe touched by player
Farc then try to make a decision from SD blurry images What a bunch of amateurs running the AFL

Yet soccer can continue to play on, there is a notification to TV audiences that VAR is reviewing and then gives an all clear if nothing needs to happen. Its super quick, yet we do this ridiculous, lets just check and then see that the ball was clearing the post / goal line by a good metre and go, thanks for wasting everyones time. Amateur as usual by the AFL

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have been arguing for the fact that language matters in another thread so this may seem inconsistent but my view is that this sanction is excessive.
I hadn’t really followed the facts but after looking at them I think a lesser sanction should be fairer given he self reported and his remorse.
Players need to be educated and supported in a learning process with this stuff not smashed over the head with a brick.
Maybe he deserved a game and a fine but 3 weeks?
Unless there is something about it we don’t know.
Not sure what others think?

Reactions: 5 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I have been arguing for the fact that language matters in another thread so this may seem inconsistent but my view is that this sanction is excessive.
I hadn’t really followed the facts but after looking at them I think a lesser sanction should be fairer given he self reported and his remorse.
Players need to be educated and supported in a learning process with this stuff not smashed over the head with a brick.
Will the sanction prevent others from “owning up” or will they now look to the afl for their guidance in how to “cover up”.

I shouldn’t be, but I’m somewhat perplexed with how the afl operate. This is raised in public, so the “optics” may mean; more than the actual incident. I’m not sure.
But then the afl actively encourages players to lie about sustaining an injury if they believe they may have residual drugs in their system come match day.
Are they really the social judge, jury and sentencing authority on all things? Or only those that cast their entertainment business in a poor light. To keep their coffers flowing with taxpayer money, sponsorships and other cash coming in they need to be seen to be a leading light on society’s issues.
As usual too many inconsistencies with this mob. I may be excused for being somewhat cynical.

Reactions: 3 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
My issue, is how genuine is the remorse? Does he genuinely regret the comment, or is the remorse a means by which to have a lighter sanction.

Reactions: 2 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Will the sanction prevent others from “owning up” or will they now look to the afl for their guidance in how to “cover up”.

I shouldn’t be, but I’m somewhat perplexed with how the afl operate. This is raised in public, so the “optics” may mean; more than the actual incident. I’m not sure.
But then the afl actively encourages players to lie about sustaining an injury if they believe they may have residual drugs in their system come match day.
Are they really the social judge, jury and sentencing authority on all things? Or only those that cast their entertainment business in a poor light. To keep their coffers flowing with taxpayer money, sponsorships and other cash coming in they need to be seen to be a leading light on society’s issues.
As usual too many inconsistencies with this mob. I may be excused for being somewhat cynical.
The next bloke who does this will likely -
Approach the player he abused and apologise remorsefully, and genuinely if he is genuinely sorry. It will them be up to whether that player decides to take it further- unless another player witness steps up and makes it public.

If it then comes out, the offending player will say - ‘I sought him out and apologised and regret my actions, I was wrong etc. He accepted my apology and I thought it was done.’

The penalty will likely be the same.
No way will the next player be owning up like Finlayson did to everybody else, during the game, why would you?

They are happy to cover up illegal drug use as you say

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

One thing is definitely right Willo… you shouldn’t be perplexed !!! I think most of us confused by the AFL

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
My issue, is how genuine is the remorse? Does he genuinely regret the comment, or is the remorse a means by which to have a lighter sanction.
I believe he apologised then and there to the player once he realised what he’d said. He’s never tried to downplay his words or the context.
I believe he was genuine.He never tried to make an excuse or downplay his words.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
In this case Marsh is completely right, where the hell was the suspension for Clarkson
But, it was a fine and suspended suspension for the first time this matter had been brought before the AFL. Blatantly obvious warning to everyone else involved in the comp that maybe the AFL might kick arse if anyone happened to notice that this issue might arise again in future. It's all just blokey, matey, heat of the moment, on field footy stuff as long as no-one's paying attention, just ask Kotchy. He knows what it's all about.
Only reason the AFL have done anything is because they suddenly need to be seen to be proactive coz the meedjia went rampant on them. Arse covering AFL still reigns supreme.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
How does one measure another’s genuineness?
Easy. If ya do the wrong thing n dob yourself in, apologise n make amends before anyone knows ya done the wrong thing. Then you're genuine.
If ya know that you're busted, or about to be outed by someone else for doing the wrong thing, and you're suddenly sorry, then you're just putting a cushion down the back of the shorts to pad the arse kickin you're about to get.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

My understanding is that an umpire also heard the call. Finlayson realised this and decided to get on the front foot as he knew he couldn't deny it due to other witnesses being present.

But that's only what was reported. Who knows what the truth is.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
While I agree with the sentence and that this needs to be acted on, the comments about the motivation of the AFL are also spot on.

They are more interested in the optics than the issue and I doubt we will see consistency over this, after all, they are consistent on nothing else.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
It is ALL about the optics with City Hall.
They love to jump up and be seen to be leading the charge on all these issues.
The inconsistencies in rulings/penalties are there for all to see.
They will just change the narrative to back up their argument each time.
Meanwhile we will continue to ridicule them for the obvious double standards.
We just want common sense to prevail.
But hey this is the AFL, common sense doesn't always apply.
In fact it rarely applies.