Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon
Fair old rant for no actual relevance YeOlde.
The suggestion has been around for probably 30 years or more that instead of piling even more umpires into the middle of the ground ( as they've just done again ) where they all get stuck around the corridor and miss everything from players with their backs turned. That we improve the role of the boundary umpires and teach them to umpire from the outside of the contest where they can see what the inside field umpires often miss.
Two inside midfield umpires instead of the current four, plus four boundary / outside umpires who can adjudicate infringements as well as simply chucking the ball back in.
Two less bodies running around congesting the inside of the playing arena plus four extra sets of eyeballs catching out infringements that the corridor umpy's simply can't see.
Simple no brainer of a rational common sense idea that people are to tunnel visioned to even consider. Yet the last forty odd years or so we've gone from one field umpy to four for virtually no improvement to the umpiring. Surely the game hasn't gotten that much harder to adjudicate over the years that we need four people to do the task of one.
I'm happy to let my post stand. You may think it's irrelevant that up to you. My post was in direct response to the ditching of boundary and goal umpires. So much of the game has been distorted, changed, ripped apart and I rant against that at nearly every opportunity. I'm proud to do so and will continue to do so when fat heads like Fast Eddie glibly try to turn footy into a different game.

Here's a thought, instead of turning the game even further on its head by having 8 central umpires (can you just imagine it, the umpires will actually have taken over the game) how about the rules being simplified, not constantly tinkered with and over complicated, make the umpires fully dedicated professionals and get everybody on the same page by having clear, concise interpretations of the main rules.

Is that actually relevant enough ?

It's a preposterous idea to have 8 central umpires and as I alluded to earlier, you immediately cut off your nose to spite your face by taking away the only pathway for young kids to get into umpiring...running the boundary at their local league.

Paving paradise to put up a parking lot inevitably leads to a pile of grey concrete. Oh joy.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm happy to let my post stand. You may think it's irrelevant that up to you. My post was in direct response to the ditching of boundary and goal umpires. So much of the game has been distorted, changed, ripped apart and I rant against that at nearly every opportunity. I'm proud to do so and will continue to do so when fat heads like Fast Eddie glibly try to turn footy into a different game.

Here's a thought, instead of turning the game even further on its head by having 8 central umpires (can you just imagine it, the umpires will actually have taken over the game) how about the rules being simplified, not constantly tinkered with and over complicated, make the umpires fully dedicated professionals and get everybody on the same page by having clear, concise interpretations of the main rules.

Is that actually relevant enough ?

It's a preposterous idea to have 8 central umpires and as I alluded to earlier, you immediately cut off your nose to spite your face by taking away the only pathway for young kids to get into umpiring...running the boundary at their local league.

Paving paradise to put up a parking lot inevitably leads to a pile of grey concrete. Oh joy.
Umm 2 central field umpires and the four boundary umpires fulfilling elevated roles in support of them is six by my count not eight.

Not sure how anyone eliminates the goal umpires as there's no financially justifiable tech good enough at present to eliminate them.

How the hell does building the boundary umpires role into something more substantial stop young kids from developing from a junior league boundary umpire to a field umpire????

More than happy for there to be a complete and total reworking of the rules to simplify and clarify the role for umpires, players and fans. The current shambles of constantly tacking extra rules and codiciles onto the existing rules year after year is a bloody joke.

As for paradises n parking lots. The game has changed a bit over the last hundred years or so, as has the rest of the world. Ya keep up as best you can or ya get run over or left behind like it or not. I'm sure you wouldn't want to see the players running out for tonight's game in knickerbokkers n caps with the captains honorably adjudicating infringements.

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
Im sorry I know we lose coz we are crap. But three of the most obvious free kicks missed at the end of this game. Grimes hit in the head WITH FRONT ON CONTACT. Picket hit high after slipping. Vlaustin landed on fair and square in the back. 1 2 3 all within three mins. Madness

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I’ll say it again umpired being too slow on the whistle is causing many of these so called dangerous tackles as players struggle to stop opponents & bring them to ground. Strong Athletes trying to restrain other strong athletes at break neck speed makes it very difficult to control outcomes. The ump has got to call ball ups faster or holding the ball decisions. Just letting things go is causing some of these issues.
The way things are going the tackle stat column isn’t one that’s going to be celebrated. Maybe that’s exactly what the AFL wants..

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The penalties for sling tackles are in a bit of a mess. If you look at the penalties being handed out Broad looks hard done by, not that he was suspended but the 4 weeks.
They are really going to have to clean that up because it is all over the place atm.

Reactions: 1 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I’ll say it again umpired being too slow on the whistle is causing many of these so called dangerous tackles as players struggle to stop opponents & bring them to ground. Strong Athletes trying to restrain other strong athletes at break neck speed makes it very difficult to control outcomes. The ump has got to call ball ups faster or holding the ball decisions. Just letting things go is causing some of these issues.
The way things are going the tackle stat column isn’t one that’s going to be celebrated. Maybe that’s exactly what the AFL wants..
A Saints fan said the same to me unprompted. Said the umpire was the one at fault for Broady's sling because he took to long to blow the whistle, which in turn caused Braody to continue with the tackle which could have been avoided by an earlier whistle

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The penalties for sling tackles are in a bit of a mess. If you look at the penalties being handed out Broad looks hard done by, not that he was suspended but the 4 weeks.
They are really going to have to clean that up because it is all over the place atm.

You are way too generous - complete dog's brekkie would be more accurate.

Until the nongs at the AFL learn that it is the action which needs to be penalised and not the outcome this will continue. But, they're nongs so won't happen.

Plus, as ToO pointed out, they need to blow the whistle quicker for a ball up or holding the ball, watch old games, the packs were not allowed to form and maul around for half an hour, it is ridiculous now, complete mess. Blow the whistle and ball it up quickly.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Until the nongs at the AFL learn that it is the action which needs to be penalised and not the outcome this will continue. But, they're nongs so won't happen.

Plus, as ToO pointed out, they need to blow the whistle quicker for a ball up or holding the ball, watch old games, the packs were not allowed to form and maul around for half an hour, it is ridiculous now, complete mess. Blow the whistle and ball it up quickly.

DS
I am a generous person David :)

The Murphy one is interesting because he has had multiple concussions already. In theory it could be judged more harshly because of his history which may also be very unfair on the tackler.

It is too loose

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

DS

Its not just the AFL. How many clubs are challenging their 1 game suspensions. Its 1 game, the actions weren't great in any of them, and based on history all should be rubbed out. I think the tribunal are being hard on the sling tackle, more so than other penalties, and all of those taking their penalties to the tribunal again (Merrett and Adams both challenging 1 games) will have the penalties upheld IMO.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nailed it fair between the eyes ToOheys. Simplest way to stop all the sling tackles is for the umpys to either call for a ball up when a player gets wrapped up in a tackle or heavens forbid pay the tackler a free kick for the ball carrier's non disposal of the footy.

Maggots standing around allowing the tackled player five minutes to attempt to break out of the tackle invariably leads to a wrestling contest whereby the tackler ends up using excessive force or measures to try and stop the ball carrier from escaping or disposing illegally of the ball.
Can't bump, Can't tackle, whats a player supposed to do stand back and pick his nose or something. Even in League which is a massive, massive contested strength and tackling game the refs are smart enough to call " held " and ensure a restart of play to try and avoid over the top incidents.

Reactions: 1 users