Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Can’t solely blame the umps for that loss.
The Crows shot themselves in the foot big time.
For example Rachelle blew golden opportunities.
Ultimately a game isn’t decided on a poor decision.
Saw two howlers by Rachelle - made me raise an eyebrow.
Another game ultimately decided by umpire bias/incompetence.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
AFL going to concede the 25 non-calls in our games each week?

How many times pricks?? How many times? Just umpteen bs apologies AFTER the event when the damage is already done.

The Cows have been effed twice by this league now. The non-goal last season and now this possible win.

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
How can it be 'the correct approach at the time', but still an incorrect decision?

AFL channelling Billy Snedden.

“We didn’t lose, we just didn’t win enough seats to form government.”

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
How many times pricks?? How many times? Just umpteen bs apologies AFTER the event when the damage is already done.

The Cows have been effed twice by this league now. The non-goal last season and now this possible win.
But there are just so many poor, incorrect, clearly wrong decisions throughout most games. Especially ours! With RFC never getting anything like the frees they should have while pinged for numerous dubious ones. Borne out by the stats.

Heaps of players staging for frees at the end of tight games.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
How can it be 'the correct approach at the time', but still an incorrect decision?
they talk like explainers ... but tie themselves in knots ... it's amateur

and they are screwing up all over the place

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Well all four of them stood around the contest looking n thinking about doing something = correct approach. Not bothering to make a blatantly obvious decision was therefore incorrect decision.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I've looked and looked, but nowhere in the rules can I find any reference to the rules being different at the end of a game, or the rules being different when the game is very close.

Crap decision.

I heard Malthouse pour a bucket on the umps on the ABC in pre-game today, and he just kept saying - it was a free, it was obvious, we cannot accept this standard of umpiring at the highest level of our game.

It really is simple - the umpiring is not up to standard, we all know it and the AFL clearly don't care.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
Thinking about it, the sheer number of rules as well as the number that are open to interpretation have made it a difficult game to umpire. All these additional rules - how many have actually improved the game? The Joel Bowden rule, the insufficient intent/deliberate out, and stand rules have just provided the umpires more opportunities to lay their interpretation on events, or simply get it wrong.

But this suits the AFL. It allows *flexibility* with umpire game management and narratives.The purpose of a system is what it does.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I didn’t know that even if the umpire yells “stand” you can still run back off the mark to be “outside 5“.

Reactions: 1 user

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I've seen them award a 50m penalty when a Richmond player does that.

DS
The stand rule has just followed the same trajectory as many of the stupid new rules brought in over the last 20 years. They get payed kind of consistently for a while. They prove to be unpopular and badly designed but the AFL don't wqnt to admit their mistake by removing them. So the umpires are instructed to stop paying them-except evey now and then they' randomly .pull these old rules out. Some examples off the top of my head are-The stand rule (in process), deliberate rushed, Scagging a player after they dispose of the ball so that they can't get involved in the next play (50M), umpire disent. I'm sure there's lots more. They've ruined the game.

Reactions: 6 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
The AFL cracked down on umpire dissent ( and to a point, rightfully so) because they said players actions were putting those potentially wanting to be umpires off from pursuing that career. I’d say it’s watching the umpiring at AFL level is putting people off from wanting to become umpires. I hear anecdotally that the umpiring from vfl level down is actually not too bad to quite good. It’s when it gets to the “elite” AFL level where it turns to *smile*. Either the wrong people are in charge of training the umpires, the people people become AFL umpires or the idiots on the rule committee that keep making stupid changes year after year are *smile* with the umpires and making it harder and harder to adjudicate on decisions.
As an example on my last point. Years ago, holding or dropping the ball was one of the most simple decisions an umpire could make. If a player had the ball, had time to dispose of the ball, was tackled with the ball and the ball either spilled out or he was still in possession of it, it was holding or dropping the ball. These days it can either be holding/ drop the ball, or it could be play on because you actually hear the umpire say “ the ball spilled out in the tackle” , or some *smile* like that, or it’s a ball up. It’s pot luck depending on the umpire and their mood at the time

Reactions: 4 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
The AFL cracked down on umpire dissent ( and to a point, rightfully so) because they said players actions were putting those potentially wanting to be umpires off from pursuing that career. I’d say it’s watching the umpiring at AFL level is putting people off from wanting to become umpires. I hear anecdotally that the umpiring from vfl level down is actually not too bad to quite good. It’s when it gets to the “elite” AFL level where it turns to *smile*. Either the wrong people are in charge of training the umpires, the people people become AFL umpires or the idiots on the rule committee that keep making stupid changes year after year are *smile* with the umpires and making it harder and harder to adjudicate on decisions.
As an example on my last point. Years ago, holding or dropping the ball was one of the most simple decisions an umpire could make. If a player had the ball, had time to dispose of the ball, was tackled with the ball and the ball either spilled out or he was still in possession of it, it was holding or dropping the ball. These days it can either be holding/ drop the ball, or it could be play on because you actually hear the umpire say “ the ball spilled out in the tackle” , or some *smile* like that, or it’s a ball up. It’s pot luck depending on the umpire and their mood at the time
There’s a lot of late calls someone is calling the frees or non frees play on