VFL Signings for 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Signings for 2019

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
turk-d-tiger said:
Everything i have seen written about Marsh this off season has been positive and he really has taken his football seriously last year playing both defensive and midfield roles
He is a big boy the same size as Balta and Rance but has been playing midfield in western australia . Really like his size and athleticism as well as his defensive mind set and he ould just be a player that comes from nowhere next year to snatch a rookie spot and be ready to go day 1.

Still only 23 years old

A good recruit who should still have plenty of upside. Rooking Aarts might just help us recruit players like Marsh, with the message, work hard and you're a chance to be make the main list.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
turk-d-tiger said:
Is there not a rule where a previously listed player can go to the club of his choice without entering the draft ?
A previously listed/delisted player. Same as Mav Weller.
Its a smart way to look at mature options this year and then sign them up

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008
The Big Richo said:
Is there a final date when the VFL list is finalised?

Last year, finalised lists were published on the VFL site in early April.

Latest official player movements are listed at:
https://vfl.com.au/2019-vfl-ins-and-outs/

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
eastlavy said:
Last year, finalised lists were published on the VFL site in early April.

Latest official player movements are listed at:
https://vfl.com.au/2019-vfl-ins-and-outs/
Thanks eastlavy .

I’d imagine if the injury gods are kind to us, that our talented young list with the combination of very good VFL players and the best coach/developer in the game I’d like to think will be right up there again.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Mr Brightside said:
Thanks eastlavy .

I’d imagine if the injury gods are kind to us, that our talented young list with the combination of very good VFL players and the best coach/developer in the game I’d like to think will be right up there again.

I reckon so

On a different note, here's the winning % of our 5 completed seasons as stand alone (inc finals games played) & ladder position @ end of H&A

2014 Tim Clarke 33% 12th
2015 Tim Clarke 28% 13th
2016 Craig McRae 50% 9th
2017 Craig McRae 67% 2nd
2018 Craig McRae 70% 1st

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Im such a massive fan of Craig McRae, He really is a great man to have at the club and every body who talks about Richmonds development just cant speak highly enough of this man.

He not only trains and coaches the young men but is a great mentor and father/brother like influence on these young men, Just watching the interview of marsh once again reinforces the amount of respect they have for him. Hope he becomes a richmond man for a long long time

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008
More info on new recruit Lachlan Street (he was mentioned in Charlie Thompson's VFL camp diary on the club's site) from Paul Amy:

https://twitter.com/PaulAmy375/status/1095483635870756864

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Evidently a kid by the name of Angus Hicks playing for the vfl team had a badly broken leg today in a win against Essendon vfl. Luke Nelson kicked 4. Anyone know of him?

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008
Sintiger said:
Luke Nelson kicked 4. Anyone know of him?
taztiger4 said:
First new addition for 2019 is Noble Park mid/fwd Luke Nelson, runner up in their BnF & coached in part by Adam Treloar

https://twitter.com/PaulAmy375/status/1053166184437178368

Also this article by Amy on HSun site:

EFL 2018: Noble Park midfielder Luke Nelson fields VFL interest
Paul Amy, Greater Dandenong Leader

Noble Park dasher Luke Nelson will play in the VFL next year — and he has a handful of clubs putting out the welcome mat.

The speedy 21-year-old has met five clubs and will make a decision in the next week or so on his 2019 footballing home.

Nelson’s performance in the final round against Balwyn was another advertisement of his ability.

The right-footer had 35 possessions and kicked three goals, a best-afield effort that helped him finish equal-second in the club best and fairest.
Luke Nelson on his way to a best-afield performance against Balwyn this year.

Nelson joined the Bulls in 2017 from Berwick, where he played in the 2015 senior premiership as an Under 18 player.

Quick and elusive, he started out at Noble as a small forward. But he progressed into the midfield this year, with eye-catching results.

Nelson, who is studying teaching at Deakin University, said he appreciated the interest from VFL clubs.

“It’s nice to be asked,’’ he said. “I’m definitely going to have a go at it. I feel like I’m ready. I think I developed a bit this year by having a run in the middle.’’

Bulls coach Mick Fogarty said he was pleased Nelson — an Eastern league Young Gun nomination this year — was committed to playing at a higher level.

“I think he’s ready to step up. He’s had a couple of strong years for us,’’ he said.

Fogarty said Nelson had developed from a pressure-bearing “high half forward’’ with speed and “footy smarts’’ into an onballer.

“What he had to do was — and this sounds funny because he does it so well in forward 50 — around the stoppage, he had to learn how to position his body and defend a bit better.

“He really started to do that towards the end of the season. Offensively out of stoppage he got on the end of some good ball and, like ‘Sketch’ (Jackson Sketcher), he has that breakaway speed.

“That was the next challenge for him, to go into the midfield and learn his craft there. He’s added that to his bow. He’s also very strong overhead for a smaller player.’’

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
taztiger4 said:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-13/saints-to-give-former-pies-defender-marsh-a-medical

A big loss this. Can't we put someone on the ltil and nab him ourselves? Looks to be a player.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah disappointed, this wouldve been a great steal by us.
Now we need to do the same thing - recruit the best non-afl player with speed. Get him onto our vfl program, learn under Fly. And give him 12mths test with the prospect of being picked up for next season or mid season.
Im thinking Jye Bolton

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Tigers of Old said:
Marsh is a Saint. Major bummer cause he can really play. Won't make life easy for forwards in 2019.

I feel strangely gutted about this. Not even sure why - he played one intra-club. Would have been an exceptional player for the VFL team though.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Midsy said:
I feel strangely gutted about this. Not even sure why - he played one intra-club. Would have been an exceptional player for the VFL team though.
Bloody handy mid season draftee too