Vic State Election 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vic State Election 22

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well until we get a another source of constant power,it's a alternative.

For decades, decades, they told us renewables were not mature enough, we would have to wait, can't have solar because it needs more development etc.

But the split second anything nuclear looks vaguely possible maybe in the next 50 or so years it is touted as the great solution.

Well, solar works now. Wind works now. Hydro works now.

Micro-nuke does not yet exist, Thorium reactors do not yet exist.

All of them produce toxic radioactive waste for which there is no safe storage for while they are toxic and radioactive.

If nuclear is the answer, someone asked the wrong question.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Ian Cook demanding a recount spouting voter fraud. the American loony influence hasn't taken long to get to Australia. I am not sure Ian Cook totally understands our 2PP voting system.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
For decades, decades, they told us renewables were not mature enough, we would have to wait, can't have solar because it needs more development etc.

But the split second anything nuclear looks vaguely possible maybe in the next 50 or so years it is touted as the great solution.

Well, solar works now. Wind works now. Hydro works now.

Micro-nuke does not yet exist, Thorium reactors do not yet exist.

All of them produce toxic radioactive waste for which there is no safe storage for while they are toxic and radioactive.

If nuclear is the answer, someone asked the wrong question.

DS

I'm not even sure why we are talking about government funded power any longer. Its getting proven right now that we don't need them to fund the production of energy, but they need to fund the improvements to infrastructure.

Rooftop solar is the way forward, and that means changes to power grid networks to accept the feedback loop, or community battery screens to create looped networkls, sort of an expanded micro grid.

The days of the "National Grid" should be numbered.

People will say "but what about the tax receipts", well for one, the removal of subsidies will part pay for that. In terms of individuals, the more individual households reduce spending on energy, the more disposable income they have to spend in other areas which will generate GST and will also generate higher profits for other businesses (Company Income tax) and more jobs / more hours (higher payroll taxes / higher Personal Income tax). The whole argument that if you remove tax revenue from one source, that it won't be returned in another is a fallacy.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Ian Cook demanding a recount spouting voter fraud. the American loony influence hasn't taken long to get to Australia. I am not sure Ian Cook totally understands our 2PP voting system.
Bloody commies, always trying to ”fix” election results everywhere. Recount!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I heard on the radio the other loony- Cummings- is claiming the voting was rigged. dont know how or why she "thinks" that, but im sure her supporters are getting dressed up as I type to storm parliament.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I'm not even sure why we are talking about government funded power any longer. Its getting proven right now that we don't need them to fund the production of energy, but they need to fund the improvements to infrastructure.

Rooftop solar is the way forward, and that means changes to power grid networks to accept the feedback loop, or community battery screens to create looped networks, sort of an expanded micro grid.

The days of the "National Grid" should be numbered.

People will say "but what about the tax receipts", well for one, the removal of subsidies will part pay for that. In terms of individuals, the more individual households reduce spending on energy, the more disposable income they have to spend in other areas which will generate GST and will also generate higher profits for other businesses (Company Income tax) and more jobs / more hours (higher payroll taxes / higher Personal Income tax). The whole argument that if you remove tax revenue from one source, that it won't be returned in another is a fallacy.

The ALP promised to change the power grid infrastructure before the last election. I reckon this is vital as the way power is generated and distributed is changing so much now. I really hope they get on and do this, a well thought out renovation of the power grid is vital.

As for Ian Cook, sounds like a bit of a nutter. Anyone who has had anything to do with Australian elections knows it is damned near impossible to rig the vote. Those pesky paper ballots in large numbers are close to impossible to alter in the numbers which would be required to change an election result. In any case, Cook was soundly defeated, as were the Libs, no way so many votes could be faked.

DS

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Cook is just playing to his base, its what they expect. And it shows he has zero respect for democracy.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yeah it's a sad way to go. The demise of his business is definitely on the nose and I think something isn't right. The fact the death of the patients have been proven to not be linked to ICook products makes the entire situation very odd.

But claiming election fraud and this type of nonsense doesn't help his cause.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Yeah it's a sad way to go. The demise of his business is definitely on the nose and I think something isn't right. The fact the death of the patients have been proven to not be linked to ICook products makes the entire situation very odd.

But claiming election fraud and this type of nonsense doesn't help his cause.
Are you sure that statement is accurate?

My understanding was that there wasn't enough evidence to definitely implicate ICook to the deaths, but not that they weren't linked.
They did find listeria on the premises, and the photos of the business when they did the investigation.....I wouldn't want to eat eat from there.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/report-received-before-icook-foods-shut-down-clears-company-gibson

A sensitive report received by the health department hours before it shut down iCook Foods over a hospital listeria outbreak linked to
an elderly woman’s death reveals she did not eat a sandwich supplied by the company.
So, that's a Herald Sun article. It immediately loses credibility for that. Keep in mind, they've got an Anti Sutton and Andrews agenda.

This bit seemed pertinent though.

The sandwich scenario was still on the table when Prof Sutton addressed a parliamentary inquiry a year later.

“In hospital, the patient only consumed food from the hospital with all food provided by the Knox Private Hospital’s sole caterer, iCook Foods,” he said.

They hag Listeria on the premises. I've never seen Cook claim there wasn't. Maybe it wasn't a sandwich, but it's possible something else was consumed.

Although Sutton was wrong about it being the only provider, the genetic sequence of listeria was a "close match" found on his premises.
"Listeria isolated from four food samples at I Cook Foods had a genetic sequence that was a close match to the strain found in the patient. Authorities said this provided strong evidence of a link between I Cook Foods and the patient."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Geez General, Trump lite much. Discredit anything that doesn't prove the agenda. There is no direct link or proof between the death and Icook.

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'd argue you're doing the same. This is Cooks argument.
* The council had a competing business to his. (One member of council ran a similar business)
* The council inspectors planted evidence (a slug) which helped shut him down.
* Somehow, Brett Sutton, who signed off the closure order because the Dandenong council had a declared conflict of interest, has some personal interest or something to gain from doing so.
* Dan Andrews has a "protection racket" set up to protect Sutton from being pursued (even though Cook was pursuing it in the courts)
That reeks of Trump style conspiracy theory.

There's evidence that links Listeria to his premises.
Below is a widely available photo from the inspection.
There's an article that says they found 7 different food items with Listeria on the premises, although the state enquiry I linked above shows 4.
Let's take out the likelihood that the woman died because of a sandwich. Do you want this type of business running catering?
Do you really think three entities of Government would conspire because one councillor had a competing interest?
I have no agenda. I just want to see facts in an argument, not BS conspiracies.

Attachments

• Fh1CakYVEAE4o5B.jpg
    Fh1CakYVEAE4o5B.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

anyone who supported this conspiracist needs their head examined.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'd argue you're doing the same. This is Cooks argument.
* The council had a competing business to his. (One member of council ran a similar business)
* The council inspectors planted evidence (a slug) which helped shut him down.
* Somehow, Brett Sutton, who signed off the closure order because the Dandenong council had a declared conflict of interest, has some personal interest or something to gain from doing so.
* Dan Andrews has a "protection racket" set up to protect Sutton from being pursued (even though Cook was pursuing it in the courts)
That reeks of Trump style conspiracy theory.

There's evidence that links Listeria to his premises.
Below is a widely available photo from the inspection.
There's an article that says they found 7 different food items with Listeria on the premises, although the state enquiry I linked above shows 4.
Let's take out the likelihood that the woman died because of a sandwich. Do you want this type of business running catering?
Do you really think three entities of Government would conspire because one councillor had a competing interest?
I have no agenda. I just want to see facts in an argument, not BS conspiracies.
But there's no direct link to the patient's death. The election result is cut and dry, he got smashed with not one shred of doubt, anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. The business case and the conflicts involved in that are a separate thing and for me raise major alarm bells. That's my stance. And a family lost their 20 year business, with an outstanding reputation before this without a direct link to the death. And the major benefactor is a government-funded business. It's a mess. And excuse me if I'm dubious of that. And I voted Labor.

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
But there's no direct link to the patient's death. The election result is cut and dry, he got smashed with not one shred of doubt, anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. The business case and the conflicts involved in that are a separate thing and for me raise major alarm bells. That's my stance. And a family lost their 20 year business, with an outstanding reputation before this without a direct link to the death. And the major benefactor is a government-funded business. It's a mess. And excuse me if I'm dubious of that. And I voted Labor.
The closure of the business was done by someone independent after a conflict of interest was declared though, according to those reports.
That's exactly how those types of processes are meant to occur. The decision gets removed from the conflict, and undertaken independently.
Sutton's feedback was that the number of listeria sources in a business was above the threshold for other catering companies to be shut.
It seems like a process driven outcome from an external perspective.
Gotta move past the rhetoric to the evidence. The evidence seems reasonable, regardless of who you vote for.