Vic State Election 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vic State Election 22

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
There are some comments around this morning and last night that making Matthew Guy leader lost the election for the LNP.
He is not very inspiring as a leader but if they think he is the reason they lost they truly are deluded.
I am of the view that the Liberal Party is on the cusp and unless they stop the influence of extreme right wingers and religious nut jobs pushing them away from the centre they may actually face oblivion. It is not impossible that some form of centre right breakaway party will appear.
Yep agree. They’re close to be coming as relevant as the Australian Democrats.

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
The Libs have no idea what they stand for. I would like to think the are a centre party with right leanings. They need to learn how to attract votes in the outer suburbs and large regional centres. If they can’t they will be in opposition forever.

Putting the ALP last was very very stupid. A Greens voter of today will never vote Libs in their lifetime. But an ALP voter today might.

I understand the Libs are hopeless, but was hoping that Andrews would somehow lose his seat, and that the Libs would put some pressure on them. How else do you keep Andrews accountable? He has gone from just over 20 in his office to over 90 in 8 years. I hope there are some top performers within ALP like Matin Pakula that will do a great job and also stand their ground with him.
Pakula is the last person I want to see anywhere near the leadership of the ALP…

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So they've altered the requirements for valid votes then. Used to be that anything added beyond clear numbering of the candidates was instantly invalid.
Might have to consider voting next time around n take the opportunity to doodle round the borders of the vote ticket.

The last time I can remember writing on a ballot paper invalidating a vote was back in the No Dams campaign, and that was early 1980s. It has been a valid vote for decades as long as you do not obscure the preferences and the vote is clear. Geez, keep up!

I always write a few choice messages on the ballot, makes it a bit less boring for the vote counters and scrutineers. It was a valid vote back when I worked as a poll clerk which is decades ago.

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The csrio estimates that it would cost 500 billion nationally to build the infrastructure ,and then you have the household,and business costs of the transition from gas.

Well, time to get started then, the sooner the better, the sooner the cheaper and the sooner we start the longer we have to make the necessary changes.

Mate l have nothing against reducing emissions,but it has to be properly and a gradual approach is needed .
Governments has to prepare for the lose of petrol tax ,they have to prepare for where their future taxes are going to come from,to pay for all the costs,as well as all the other expenses /health/education/etc etc .

Yeah, look, if we hadn't wasted the last 20 years giving climate deniers a platform for their uninformed idiocy, and having the MSM promote doubt when we should have been looking at the evidence and what needed to be done; then we may have had time to act gradually. But that chance was blown and now we need to act a lot quicker.

Geez, Kennett's retort was pathetic. He just pulled a cliche out of the right wing songbook with no evidence and little conviction.

DS

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Well, time to get started then, the sooner the better, the sooner the cheaper and the sooner we start the longer we have to make the necessary changes.

Yeah, look, if we hadn't wasted the last 20 years giving climate deniers a platform for their uninformed idiocy, and having the MSM promote doubt when we should have been looking at the evidence and what needed to be done; then we may have had time to act gradually. But that chance was blown and now we need to act a lot quicker.

Geez, Kennett's retort was pathetic. He just pulled a cliche out of the right wing songbook with no evidence and little conviction.

DS
If you want clean energy quicker,there are solutions out there,micro nuclear ,,,,just saying

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Lies lolol,my wifes has 3 friends who are in the health industry ,they got text messages from the HSU TO VOTE FOR LABOR.
HSU are part of the current Ibac investigation into Andrews.

The cuts guy their where no health cuts,and Guy wasn't even health minister,Federal government cuts health funding .
I never heard the Libs saying they where going to frack,in fact a lot of them voted against it.

What l find bizarre and concerning is Labor people thinking ,all these projects don't come at a cost ,they think the governments have endless pockets,everything comes at a cost.
You're jumping to massive conclusions.
All of Labor's infrastructure projects are costed. I can guarantee it.
There's a massively intense process that goes into these things. I've had involvement in these things in the past. There's procurement processes and standards for establishing budgetary estimates for all infra projects, regardless of which party is in government.
The only two projects I'm aware* of that in the past 15 years which didn't have that process followed, was East-West link and Dandenong Transformation Project.
Both were instigated as unsolicited offers by Private Industry to the Libs. Both projects were canned by Labor as they were heavily biased to give generous conditions to those private bidders.
* I'll caveat that, by saying Westgate Tunnel seems to be another unsolicited offer from industry, but I'm completely unaware of how that procurement process worked.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If you want clean energy quicker,there are solutions out there,micro nuclear ,,,,just saying

Hmm, micro nuclear, yeah that's a form of power generation which is used . . . hmm . . . nowhere.

According to the World Nuclear Organisation we have about 90 years of uranium for power stations. Of course, that's at current usage levels, which will shrink if we build more nuclear power stations, so if we double the output of nuclear power stations we go down to 45 years of supply. Hardly a long term solution. Although there is one long term aspect, it takes decades to get a nuclear power station built.

For maybe 45 years of 20% of the world's electricity what do we get? Really expensive energy and 250,000 years of toxic waste for which there is no known safe disposal.

Yeah, no thanks.

DS

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
You're jumping to massive conclusions.
All of Labor's infrastructure projects are costed. I can guarantee it.
There's a massively intense process that goes into these things. I've had involvement in these things in the past. There's procurement processes and standards for establishing budgetary estimates for all infra projects, regardless of which party is in government.
The only two projects I'm aware* of that in the past 15 years which didn't have that process followed, was East-West link and Dandenong Transformation Project.
Both were instigated as unsolicited offers by Private Industry to the Libs. Both projects were canned by Labor as they were heavily biased to give generous conditions to those private bidders.
* I'll caveat that, by saying Westgate Tunnel seems to be another unsolicited offer from industry, but I'm completely unaware of how that procurement process worked.
Im not jumping to any conclusions ,he couldn't produce the cost of the rail project,he has 35 billion costed ,but it's expected to cost 125 billion -200 billion

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Hmm, micro nuclear, yeah that's a form of power generation which is used . . . hmm . . . nowhere.

According to the World Nuclear Organisation we have about 90 years of uranium for power stations. Of course, that's at current usage levels, which will shrink if we build more nuclear power stations, so if we double the output of nuclear power stations we go down to 45 years of supply. Hardly a long term solution. Although there is one long term aspect, it takes decades to get a nuclear power station built.

For maybe 45 years of 20% of the world's electricity what do we get? Really expensive energy and 250,000 years of toxic waste for which there is no known safe disposal.

Yeah, no thanks.

DS
A micro plant,not a major nuclear plant .
A micro plant is expected to take 3-5 years

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015

Yeah, no thanks.

DS
Well until we get a another source of constant power,it's a alternative.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Im not jumping to any conclusions ,he couldn't produce the cost of the rail project,he has 35 billion costed ,but it's expected to cost 125 billion -200 billion
Are you sure you're not a Collingwood or Cats supporter?
You whinge and moan like Scott.
I believe the part that has been costed is the Cheltenham (?) To Box Hill portion. Not the entire loop, as that's going to take years before they start, let alone construct.
It's not going to be one long loop, it'll be a series of shorter ones.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
People said this election was a referendum on Daniel Andrews.

My favourite moment last night was when the Channel 7 reporter asked that *smile* of *smile* Jeff Kennett, you said this election was a referendum on Dan Andrews, so what does the result tell you?

The muppet voiced flog, who despite causing as much mental health harm as any elected official ever has continually paints himself as a mental health saviour, said 'it didn't happen'.

Fortunately Steve Bracks was on hand to tell him that losing a referendum doesn't mean you can then just claim it didn't occur.

As an aside a search through the Herald Sun shows the Bolt article saying Dan should resign is no more. Seems even Rupert knows when he is beaten.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My favourite moment last night was when the Channel 7 reporter asked that *smile* of *smile* Jeff Kennett, you said this election was a referendum on Dan Andrews, so what does the result tell you?

The muppet voiced flog, who despite causing as much mental health harm as any elected official ever has continually paints himself as a mental health saviour, said 'it didn't happen'.

Fortunately Steve Bracks was on hand to tell him that losing a referendum doesn't mean you can then just claim it didn't occur.

As an aside a search through the Herald Sun shows the Bolt article saying Dan should resign is no more. Seems even Rupert knows when he is beaten.
Bracks was excellent again last night and re enforced the massive gulf between considered, progressive and thoughtful political commentary and opinion on the left side of politics v nothing much more than base, pub standard commentary and thinking on the right.

Between Kennett and Smith I couldn’t work out who was the bigger dumbed down, loud, big mouth-bully dinosaur.

Note: I thought Kroger was pretty good, however. He’s very frustrated by the current standards and quality of people representing the conservatives right now.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Note: I thought Kroger was pretty good, however. He’s very frustrated by the current standards and quality of people representing the conservatives right now.

Can't agree on Kroger. Thought he was the epitome of the rich, white, male liberal who juts can't understand why everyone doesn't agree with him.

There was a passage when he spoke about the asian female candidate for Hawthorn and another asian candidate in the upper house that was a textbook 'we've given the slanty eyes a chance and they still didn't vote for us' moment.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Bracks was excellent again last night and re enforced the massive gulf between considered, progressive and thoughtful political commentary and opinion on the left side of politics v nothing much more than base, pub standard commentary and thinking on the right.

Between Kennett and Smith I couldn’t work out who was the bigger dumbed down, loud, big mouth-bully dinosaur.

I flicked between a few different stations but caught bracks when he made this point. When he was in opposition the alp took that opportunity to refresh the party, bring in new people, new ideas etc. The libs haven’t done that the past eight years, they keep recycling and regurgitating the same old faces. They’ve wasted the past 8 years and if they continue to do the same thing will waste the next 8

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Can't agree on Kroger. Thought he was the epitome of the rich, white, male liberal who juts can't understand why everyone doesn't agree with him.

There was a passage when he spoke about the asian female candidate for Hawthorn and another asian candidate in the upper house that was a textbook 'we've given the slanty eyes a chance and they still didn't vote for us' moment.
On the ole Toorak, reefer jacket, Athenaeum front and political standpoint front, yes you are right. He’s a bit old school. But in terms of assessing politics on a strategic basis and where and why things go right and wrong, he’s not that bad. And importantly, he’s not a big mouth bully that tries to talk over the top of everyone like most of the other LNP dinosaurs.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I expect the ALP to win. But my fingers are crossed for Ian Cook tomorrow.

I mean 20% for a new independent isn't bad, but hopefully he'll return to obscurity now.

Lies lolol,my wifes has 3 friends who are in the health industry ,they got text messages from the HSU TO VOTE FOR LABOR.
HSU are part of the current Ibac investigation into Andrews.

The cuts guy their where no health cuts,and Guy wasn't even health minister,Federal government cuts health funding .
I never heard the Libs saying they where going to frack,in fact a lot of them voted against it.

What l find bizarre and concerning is Labor people thinking ,all these projects don't come at a cost ,they think the governments have endless pockets,everything comes at a cost.

Good to see the Bengal bedwetting continues unabated post-election.