Waylen Manson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Waylen Manson

K3 said:
Like hit himself in the head after missing a chance? *shudders*

Met him not long after being drafted and REALLY wished we hadn't.

:hihi :hihi :hihi

Heh heh you werent the only one wishing that :hihi

hopper said:
No worries, goodie. I don't know much more about the boy than I've posted. But given the success rate of rookie picks, I actually think he's worth a shot (as much as Addam Maric anyway) based on what I've seen. I certainly don't profess to know if any of the little bush telegraph tales about him are true or not.

I actually think there are plenty of Richmond people (at the club and supporters) who are gunshy about Indig lads after Tambling (high pick that failed), Taylor (mid-low pick that failed) and Roberts (speculative Rookie that failed). Just reckon there's not enough evidence there alone that we should avoid players like Manson if the usual diligence in profiling is done. I know it's not the world's best footy, but this kid has some ... dare I say it ... serious upside and buckets of x-factor!

Got me stuffed why anyone would be gunshy about indigenous lads... there are just as many non indigenous recruits that fail... in fact we've had our fair share over the past 30 years!!!

Is it me or are less indigenous kids being drafted these days? How many were just drafted this year?

Should add of those drafted how many were from a city ie. Perth.

tigs2010 said:
Is it me or are less indigenous kids being drafted these days? How many were just drafted this year?

6 in the main draft from 75 picks (excluding rookie promotions) = 8%. Well above the 2% of the population. Add in Yagmoor and Milera who were prelisted and traded and it goes up to 8 from 80 or 10% of the new players. Would have been more but GWS pinched Gerard Ugle, Shaun Edwards and Curtley Hampton in their concessions and took them out of this draft. So bang-on the league average of 11% which is immense considering their proportion of the population.

Yep Lennox it is amazing. Its even more amazing when considering the hard upbringing most of the young aboriginal kids have had. A real credit to them.

Manson interviewed poorly, there has been real interest from up to half a dozen clubs including GWS. It wouldn't surprise me if he was snapped up in the first round of the rookie draft (although it's unlikely to be Richmond).

bullus_hit said:
Manson interviewed poorly, there has been real interest from up to half a dozen clubs including GWS. It wouldn't surprise me if he was snapped up in the first round of the rookie draft (although it's unlikely to be Richmond).

I eckon GWS would have already grabbed him if they were interested. They had plenty of opportunity to and didn't. And he will get a lot of attention if he ends up on a list somehwere.

I reckon he will end up at Port or Brisbane myself.

Lennox Street said:
6 in the main draft from 75 picks (excluding rookie promotions) = 8%. Well above the 2% of the population. Add in Yagmoor and Milera who were prelisted and traded and it goes up to 8 from 80 or 10% of the new players. Would have been more but GWS pinched Gerard Ugle, Shaun Edwards and Curtley Hampton in their concessions and took them out of this draft. So bang-on the league average of 11% which is immense considering their proportion of the population.

Are the 6 Wingard, Newman, Hill, Ah Chee, Ellis-Yolmen. Can't work out the 6th??

Interestingly there are 2 from Adelaide or the outskirts of Adelaide both going to SA teams and 1 WA boy going to SA. Then another one staying in WA and only 1 coming to Melbourne. None from really remote parts of Australia and none from NT. Brad Hill will be the one to follow with interest IMO.

Maybe North will list him just for the publicity. Between Daw and Manson they will have 80% of all stories on rookies that have not played an AFL game!

Max said:
Maybe North will list him just for the publicity. Between Daw and Manson they will have 80% of all stories on rookies that have not played an AFL game!

The team that picks up Manson is certainly going to attract some attention.

Max said:
Won,t be at North.They can,t afford to buy him a Tent let alone a House. ;D

tigs2010 said:
Are the 6 Wingard, Newman, Hill, Ah Chee, Ellis-Yolmen. Can't work out the 6th??

Interestingly there are 2 from Adelaide or the outskirts of Adelaide both going to SA teams and 1 WA boy going to SA. Then another one staying in WA and only 1 coming to Melbourne. None from really remote parts of Australia and none from NT. Brad Hill will be the one to follow with interest IMO.

The other is McCarthy going to Geelong.

It is not that suprising. You have to remember that NT is zoned to GWS. GWS and Sydney have an effective zone in NSW and Gold Coast has rights to QLD.

Also players must play in the WAFL or SANFL to be elligible to be drafted. So the only way for someone to be picked up is to to either move to Perth or Adelaide, commute there (OK from MUrray Bridge but not Broome), or to go to the city and play a game or two as a guest player (which is what Manson did). So even someone like Michael Long shows up as being recruited from Adelaide.

Yagmoor who is going to Collingwood lived in Cairns, the Cape York Pennisula, Alice Springs and then Brisbane. Pretty typical for a lot of the indigineous kids.

Ah Chee is an example of what I and others have said in this thread. He was Head Boy at his High School, good student and all the rest. You don't start issueing blanket bans on indigineous kids. You look at every player, black or white, as an individual and make a call.

McCarthy isn't indiginous. They had the wrong photo up when he was drafted. Yagmoor will also be interesting. By the way im not against drafting indiginous kids at all.

Just FYI I had a chat with a Waratahs official after yesterday's match. Waylen had a shocker and his last 3-4 games have been poor. He commented that opposition teams are now putting more pressure on him by putting bigger and more experienced players on him.

For the record, Tahs and the Tiwi Bombers played out a thrilling draw with Fev booting another 11 goals!

hopper said:
Just FYI I had a chat with a Waratahs official after yesterday's match. Waylen had a shocker and his last 3-4 games have been poor. He commented that opposition teams are now putting more pressure on him by putting bigger and more experienced players on him.

For the record, Tahs and the Tiwi Bombers played out a thrilling draw with Fev booting another 11 goals!

That was what I have seen too Hopper.

Out of interest do you know how Linc Withers played against his old team, I ask this as he comes into my work regularly and he said he was looking forward to the game against his old team, reckoned the Tahs were going to try to rough him up, and as you probably know he isn't one to shirk!!

Would of been a good game.

snaps truly said:
That was what I have seen too Hopper.

Out of interest do you know how Linc Withers played against his old team, I ask this as he comes into my work regularly and he said he was looking forward to the game against his old team, reckoned the Tahs were going to try to rough him up, and as you probably know he isn't one to shirk!!

Would of been a good game.
Yeah it sounds like it was a ripper. Didn't see the game myself just got some info last night. I would have hoped Tahs would be bright enough not to try playing Withers at his own game! But you never know in Darwin!

Brodders17 said:
looks like he has another 12months to show he wants to be an AFL footballer.

See how he goes with the NT Thunder in the Queensland comp. A couple have gotten picked up that way.