Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
All good TR no offence taken but that's just making excuses mate, need to call it how he played, and it wasn't good. Dropped marks, slipping over, wrong decisions this is a final. Yes, he's young but so are others. No one mentioned perfection just expected much better than what he trotted out. Deer in headlights.
Criticism is fine, but way too harsh. Watch the game again.

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007
Criticism is fine, but way too harsh. Watch the game again.

I don't need to watch it again as ive watched it twice already. It's not harsh at all, it's just being honest, with no sugar coating. He was dropping simple marks, looked very nervy with the ball in hand, slipped over at crucial moments and was timid at times around a few contests. Take away that he's a first-year player and just critique the player on his game and it wasn't that good., that's it. He'll learn from it and work on his deficiencies. If you think he played well that's your prerogative, I surely don't share the same view.

Reactions: 3 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Chose the wrong time to have a bad game but is there ever a good time? It happens but as long it doesn't eat into him, he will be all the better next season as he matures in mind and body.

Reactions: 1 user

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Big mistake to play Gibcus - I mentioned this before the game.
An 85% Graham would have been a better option.
Cost us two goals, was fumbly and slippy all night (according to commentators).
Will be good, but shouldnt have played!

NB: Would have been nice to play Freo - Dogs got the bye!

tassietiger12

Tiger Rookie
Jun 20, 2011
very very timid performance. Didn't like or want any type of contact. This showed when he fumbled a lot as well,,,,,

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Been there done that, mate. I wasn't a great aerialist but I did play a lot of key forward and copped plenty of ear massages, roundhouses to the guts and knees in the kidneys. People don't always appreciate how exposed you are flying for a mark and how brave the blokes are who continually do it, like Richo and the Riewoldts. I was pleased to hear Leon Cameron unequivocally state on radio last week that the keys are the toughest positions to play. In the stats-driven analysis of the game and subsequent worship of midfielders it's missed too often. One Tom Lynch is worth a thousand Jack Macraes.
As a lifelong Full Back and CHB I have to agree.

Nowhere to hide as a KPP.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I don't need to watch it again as ive watched it twice already. It's not harsh at all, it's just being honest, with no sugar coating. He was dropping simple marks, looked very nervy with the ball in hand, slipped over at crucial moments and was timid at times around a few contests. Take away that he's a first-year player and just critique the player on his game and it wasn't that good., that's it. He'll learn from it and work on his deficiencies. If you think he played well that's your prerogative, I surely don't share the same view.
I'm not saying he played well, thats a stretch, but you're being too harsh.

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
This is a weird thread. No need for anyone to give or take offence. Josh looks like being a valuable player as he develops, but he had a shocker against the Brissies which is totally in line with the way he’s played the last month or more.
I don’t blame him for us losing, I just don’t think he should have been playing.
Blame the match committee, not Josh.

Feb 25, 2007
It is possible to have both a poor final and a very bright future.

Absolutely, Kid will be a player but I think the match committee did him no favours. First half he was so very good, should've been awarded a rising star nomination.
The second half of the season was not so good, it started on buddy, then marshall, then darling. Lost all confidence.

Then went back to the ressies and did not warrant promotion back to the seniors but the MC put him back in.

Tiger Hammer

Tiger Cub
Apr 3, 2014
Big mistake to play Gibcus - I mentioned this before the game.
An 85% Graham would have been a better option.
Cost us two goals, was fumbly and slippy all night (according to commentators).
Will be good, but shouldnt have played!

NB: Would have been nice to play Freo - Dogs got the bye!
This post didn’t age well

• Haha

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
This is a weird thread. No need for anyone to give or take offence. Josh looks like being a valuable player as he develops, but he had a shocker against the Brissies which is totally in line with the way he’s played the last month or more.
I don’t blame him for us losing, I just don’t think he should have been playing.
Blame the match committee, not Josh.
Wammo, this is a good post that this is a weird threat about giving or taking offence with an opinion.

IMO, Josh should have played b.c we are obviously trying to develop the young uns and we did by playing them all in a hot final, hostile environment.
It's clear to me he had a shocker game. Saw it happening a mile out from Q1 but also b.c his last few games havent been good either.
He hasnt been playing at all well these last 10 weeks compared to his first 5-6 games.

From afar, reckon he is lacking in confidence and is not staying in the moment as he plays the game. Seems over-burdened.

But again, saying it for a long long while now, my problem is with our development coaches.
This kid has been spoiling to the hot spots rather than the boundary since mid year.
Every game, at least two spoils are completely wrongly executed, either causing an oppo goal or serious heat. It's so obvious. We all see it. My god, I can feel it coming b4 it even gets to the last play inside D50.

So, how the hell cant our d/ment coaches see it and work with him at training, each week, on this spoiling technique. It's been a recurring issue, not a once off - and its a basic execution issue. What are the assistants and d/ment coaches watching and doing?

And while we are at it, we have some major flaws in Balta's game that need to be worked on too.

Reactions: 2 users

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Largely agree with all that Bob. Only point we differ on is whether he should, or should not have played.
I guess my feeling initially was that we were a better chance of winning without him playing, but your point that playing him in a final will benefit him (and as a result, the club) in the longer term also has merit.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Showed a bit when he went forward a couple times this year. Looked like he has a forwards instinct.
Would love to see young Young or Biggie take the next step which would allow Gibcus to be tried as a forward.