Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
While i agree that Gibcus would be a waste down back.
Jeremy Howe can stand on Lynchs head.
True

People go to the footy to watch forwards like Ablett, Roach, Jack, Curnow, Smith, Cameron, Modra and Blight, to name a few take hangers, not defenders;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I think that is harsh on Ryan and Miller.
Ryan has done a nice apprenticeship in the vfl and is coming along nicely but he is virtually untried at AFL level, he is still a baby in forward/ruck terms. I like him, to me he is at least where CCJ was at a similar time of development.
Miller came in and played a role as relief ruck/forward but he would not have spent more than 20% playing as a forward in a game so far. I am not saying he is the answer as a KPF but he looked ok last year when he played forward.
Both Ryan and Miller kick well also.
The other one is Nyuon who was also trialed in the ruck/forward role in the vfl late last season and looked pretty good.
I agree that Gibcus seemed to understand forward craft quite well when he went there but I am concerned that we have two key back pillars for the next 10 years in Balta and Gibcus and we are messing with it.
Think Miller and Ryan fulfil the 3rd forward/ruck role but neither look like being a long term answer for our lack of a developing KPF.
I’m hoping Miller/Biggy and hopefully Young can provide defensive framework.
Nothing is certain but Gibcus looks a potential star at either end.
I’ll leave it to the selection committee but won’t be surprised if they swing him forward

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Think Miller and Ryan fulfil the 3rd forward/ruck role but neither look like being a long term answer for our lack of a developing KPF.
I’m hoping Miller/Biggy and hopefully Young can provide defensive framework.
Nothing is certain but Gibcus looks a potential star at either end.
I’ll leave it to the selection committee but won’t be surprised if they swing him forward
Yep, up to the coaches in the end
Still think you are harsh on Samson Ryan. He is a 206 cm giraffe who is nowhere near his peak as yet
We will see

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yep, up to the coaches in the end
Still think you are harsh on Samson Ryan. He is a 206 cm giraffe who is nowhere near his peak as yet
We will see
Check out his shuttle run form.
Simply not fit or dynamic enough.
Power forwards must make multiple leads and repeat efforts. Check out Lynch’s running ability as comparison.
Atm Ryan is only really capable as a stay at home forward or a roaming ruckman. Which is ok for a 3rd forward/ruck

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Samplilands will start his craft as a forward/2nd ruck but like nearly all guys his size end up as a ruckman first.

He will be Nanks replacement in a couple of years ILO.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Samplilands will start his craft as a forward/2nd ruck but like nearly all guys his size end up as a ruckman first.

Would be handy if he gets there because he is on track to be a better forward than Nank will ever be

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

People were late to jump on the Castagna bandwagon. Looks like history is repeating itself with Ryan.

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
For those in the know (and it is easier to follow on here), if his hamstring is a real serious one do we go through a potential Dylan Grimes issue of recurrence issues, or is youth on his side and if we get it right this year it's more than likely to be a one off (fingers crossed).

Reactions: 4 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Are we on world record pace for injuries caused by team mates at training?

Soldo causes the kid to flumble and his hamstring packs it in. Mansell destroyed someone at training last year with a tackle.
Reiwoldt copped a hit to the head.
Big V's Hibs are playing up.
Who's incharge of our training?

Is Hardwick still at Disneyland with Griffens??

• Haha

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
Different players gray, but we now have the luxury of batting deep with the list and can move players around a lot more to cover these type of injuries.
No doubt Josh will be a long-term very good footballer for us. But right now is he best 23...probably. Is he first 18...I'm not so sure (of course based on having a full list to choose from...which never really happens).

Despite some on here being negative towards Tarrant, I think he's a lock. I thought his second half of last year was terrific. Grimes, Vlas and Rioli are guaranteed to start. Broad 90%. Balta most likely playing back despite dabbling in the Ruck or forward. Miller 50%. I also think Short may go back now Tarranto and Hopper are here. Maybe wing, but Kmac, Marlion and Hugo are likely. Baker plays his best when down back too.

Batting deep...yes sir...We have Gilchrist coming in at no 9.

It's now academic due to his injury but if the list was all fit I would have Josh starting on the bench in 2023. After that most likely best 18 for the next 10 years. So if he is going to do a bad hammy, its best to do it Jan 2023 then Sept 2026 (stating the bleeding obvious!).

Reactions: 5 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
The door has opened slightly for Tylar Young.

Hopefully Truck can weave some magic with this kid (24) and his exponential improvement continues

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
No doubt Josh will be a long-term very good footballer for us. But right now is he best 23...probably. Is he first 18...I'm not so sure (of course based on having a full list to choose from...which never really happens).

Despite some on here being negative towards Tarrant, I think he's a lock. I thought his second half of last year was terrific. Grimes, Vlas and Rioli are guaranteed to start. Broad 90%. Balta most likely playing back despite dabbling in the Ruck or forward. Miller 50%. I also think Short may go back now Tarranto and Hopper are here. Maybe wing, but Kmac, Marlion and Hugo are likely. Baker plays his best when down back too.

Batting deep...yes sir...We have Gilchrist coming in at no 9.

It's now academic due to his injury but if the list was all fit I would have Josh starting on the bench in 2023. After that most likely best 18 for the next 10 years. So if he is going to do a bad hammy, its best to do it Jan 2023 then Sept 2026 (stating the bleeding obvious!).
I am pretty confident, injury permitting, our starting back 7 will be Tarrant, Balta, Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Rioli & Baker. The only queries I have are Balta- maybe they will try him forward again, and likewise Baker. I hope not for both, especially Baker.

As excited as I am in his potential, and his performance, I am not sure where Gibcus fits, even when fit. He is too good for the VFL, but probably doesnt crack our best backline. He could be the 3rd tall forward with the view to take over as no2 from Jack when he retires, but I reckon our 3rd forward needs to ruck, and I dont know that is the best thing for Gibcus at this stage of his career.

Reactions: 4 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Won't Sonsie fill the Gibcus spot?
I think the question needs to be rephrased slightly

Can Sonsie fill Gibcus's spot in the first 22 ? not fill his spot in defence , that would be a no
with so many versatile players - Grimmes , Broad , Vlastuin, Pickett , K-Mac, Short, even Ross and possibly Cotch pushing back
So Sonsie could come into a wing or HFF role and a few magnets are spun to cover Gibcus and the answer to your question is yes

With Taranto & Hopper coming into the mids there is likely to be some shuffling anyway and it could be Sonsie isn't in the top 22 even with Gibcus down at this point

We need to see a couple of practice games to see where the young guys are at

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I can't understand how Sonsie is filling the Gibcus role one a pure midfielder and one a key position player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users