Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Got a bit more mail, St Kilda were gutted that Gibcus didn't get through to them, they had him ranked at 5 for the entire year and had him in their tier 1 with the other guys taken in the first four. They didn't think he was a chance to get through to their pick at all until a couple of hours before the draft when they got word that GWS were convinced they could get him at 8 and were close to a deal with Freo, found out via a player manager about the possible deal. Saints had Gibcus ahead of Andrew by a margin. And they think he had the potential to go forward. St Kilda had Richmond wanting Josh Ward if he was on the board ahead of Gibcus.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Got a bit more mail, St Kilda were gutted that Gibcus didn't get through to them, they had him ranked at 5 for the entire year and had him in their tier 1 with the other guys taken in the first four. They didn't think he was a chance to get through to their pick at all until a couple of hours before the draft when they got word that GWS were convinced they could get him at 8 and were close to a deal with Freo, found out via a player manager about the possible deal. Saints had Gibcus ahead of Andrew by a margin. And they think he had the potential to go forward. St Kilda had Richmond wanting Josh Ward if he was on the board ahead of Gibcus.
I think Amiss was a ruse, well played Richmond.

Reactions: 10 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I think Amiss was a ruse, well played Richmond.
Well we smoked the Blues on Liam Stocker also.

Tigers getting pretty clever at the subterfuge.

We used to post and promote our selected pick online before the draft even started ............................ good times.

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
how can they take ward ahead of gibcus if gibcus was in the top 5 with the other top 4?

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
how can they take ward ahead of gibcus if gibcus was in the top 5 with the other top 4?
St Kilda thought Richmond would take Josh Ward ahead of Gibcus if Ward was still there.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Is Gubby Allen still down there thinkin he's the smartest bloke in the room. ...... or did Simon Lethlean stiff him so he could run the whole show?
Dunno who coined the term The Aints..... pretty apt!

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
JHF
Daicos
Darcey
Callaghan
Gibcus

Depending on need , Sonsie potentially could be anything and wouldnt be surprised at all if he is ranked amongst the top 5 from the draft in 3 years time

Hope all 5 of our recruits have a great career and 2021 becomes the draft we rebuilt in 1 year

Reactions: 4 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
JHF
Daicos
Darcey
Callaghan
Gibcus

Depending on need , Sonsie potentially could be anything and wouldnt be surprised at all if he is ranked amongst the top 5 from the draft in 3 years time

Hope all 5 of our recruits have a great career and 2021 becomes the draft we rebuilt in 1 year

If we land 2 stars out of 5 we have rebuilt on the run - 3 in one draft is premier material, 4 is dynasty material - 5 has that ever been done before

I am always confident the club knows what its doing but for some reason, I am very confident this year, don’t know why but the hype has overtaken my thinking maybe.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Most phantom drafts had us taking Gibcus so could hardly be a surprise. I think The Age nailed the first 12 in order.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Most phantom drafts had us taking Gibcus so could hardly be a surprise. I think The Age nailed the first 12 in order.
That's probably true, by draft night things were very settled, even Chesser to the Weagles was called by Twomey. Leading up to that however was the circus surrounding Amiss, every paper in WA had locked him in for fear of Richmond getting their Riewoldt replacement. I'm not so sure Fremantle were after Gibcus but they sure as hell would have used pick 10 as serious currency. GWS 13 + future second perhaps, Alleer was a reach and I reckon those few spots meant a lot to Cameron & Co.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
2 weeks before the draft just about 90% of the media had Hobbs to Richmond and the remainder Ward
Im happy Gibcus is ours

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
2 weeks before the draft just about 90% of the media had Hobbs to Richmond and the remainder Ward
Im happy Gibcus is ours
If we don't force Freo's hand with Amiss then they probably trade pick 8 to GWS & pick up at Amiss at 10 & then pick off whoever is left out of Erasmus & Johnson at 13. In the end they probably didn't need the trade given they got Johnson at 21, the only real loser here is GWS who took a reach with Alleer. Pretty certain he's there in the second round but with Fahey the next pick they had to go early.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
If we don't force Freo's hand with Amiss then they probably trade pick 8 to GWS & pick up at Amiss at 10 & then pick off whoever is left out of Erasmus & Johnson at 13. In the end they probably didn't need the trade given they got Johnson at 21, the only real loser here is GWS who took a reach with Alleer. Pretty certain he's there in the second round but with Fahey the next pick they had to go early.
Having got their preferred midfielder at 2 GWS needed a defensive tall and had the opportunity to take Alleer.
Surprised to find him still available at 13 they
…… themselves laughing and jumped at that opportunity.
A huge draft for GWS.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Having got their preferred midfielder at 2 GWS needed a defensive tall and had the opportunity to take Alleer.
A huge draft for GWS.
If you came to me prior to the draft and asked me which combo I would take - Callaghan/Alleer or Gibcus/Johnson I wouldn't have hesitated in taking the latter. But that's just me of course, these are based on my own rankings & I tend to mark players harder when it comes to downside. It's still possible that Alleer winds up being the better the prospect but it's also improbable based on skills & overall football awareness. In my draft modelling I had Alleer well behind Gibcus & JVR, he only came into contention as our last pick & I'm pretty certain other clubs would have played it similar. Just looking at his stats, 8.9 disposals a match, only 1.6 rebound 50s & taking out the outliers he's only averaging 1 contested mark a week. Alleer's stats buffeted massively from a 5 contested mark match against South Adelaide, this indicates a work in progress and a sizeable project player.

Reactions: 2 users
Feb 25, 2007
A huge draft for GWS.

I dare say Alleer is a little overrated in some circles. Elite mark sure but you rarely see him run and dash out of defence, Averages 8 possies a game.
Surprised at 13? Can you imagine if we gave up pick 15 for him? No one had him in the first round. A pick in the 30's sure, first-rounder overpaid.

You say GWS draft is huge, wow you're being generous.

Callaghan is what you expect at pick 2 going to be an awesome player but if i had to compare us to them Gibcus is way better than alleer and sonsie way better than fahey
We then have the class of Tom Brown and Sam Banks plus the electric Judson Clarke. Our draft haul comes across much better than theirs.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I think GWS justify what they did with Fahey was supposed to be between 20-30 so they paid under for him at 42 and paid overs for Alleer at 15 so it balances out. They basically drafted for need in the first round, not the best player, that's always a mistake. They didn't know Wilmott with Ash and Fahey their but f they want to go big, I go JVR any day of the week. Really strange pick at 15. Also, I think having Alleer visible in the Western Suburbs of Sydney played a role in the selection as well.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
If you came to me prior to the draft and asked me which combo I would take - Callaghan/Alleer or Gibcus/Johnson I wouldn't have hesitated in taking the latter. But that's just me of course, these are based on my own rankings & I tend to mark players harder when it comes to downside. It's still possible that Alleer winds up being the better the prospect but it's also improbable based on skills & overall football awareness. In my draft modelling I had Alleer well behind Gibcus & JVR, he only came into contention as our last pick & I'm pretty certain other clubs would have played it similar. Just looking at his stats, 8.9 disposals a match, only 1.6 rebound 50s & taking out the outliers he's only averaging 1 contested mark a week. Alleer's stats buffeted massively from a 5 contested mark match against South Adelaide, this indicates a work in progress and a sizeable project player.
I dare say Alleer is a little overrated in some circles. Elite mark sure but you rarely see him run and dash out of defence, Averages 8 possies a game.
Surprised at 13? Can you imagine if we gave up pick 15 for him? No one had him in the first round. A pick in the 30's sure, first-rounder overpaid.

You say GWS draft is huge, wow you're being generous.

Callaghan is what you expect at pick 2 going to be an awesome player but if i had to compare us to them Gibcus is way better than alleer and sonsie way better than fahey
We then have the class of Tom Brown and Sam Banks plus the electric Judson Clarke. Our draft haul comes across much better than theirs.
You boys are taking this just a bit to seriously.
Having said that I am quite confident they will feel happy about their selections.
It isn’t math. IMO Alleer was underrated. He is bound to play early. We shall see.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The best type!!
Apparently played a lot of forward as a junior.

Another interesting thing is there seems to be total confusion about his height.
Ranging from 195-197cm depending which article you read.
Matty Clarke refuted 197cm on Talking Tigers post draft podcast and said he is 196cm, (neither here nor there when you can leap tall buildings).