Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Staggering that he hasn't attented a centre bounce in the last 2 weeks after showing that he is one of the few that can turn things around for us when the game is slipping.

Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Just heard a snippet on radio 11am sen news.
Missed the name but said a Richmond star was close to signing a long term deal to stay at the club.
Did anyone hear? Was it referring to Bakes?

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Staggering that he hasn't attented a centre bounce in the last 2 weeks after showing that he is one of the few that can turn things around for us when the game is slipping.
It's mismanagement of the highest order if it's he is not carrying something serious injury wise.

I simply do not understand. At all.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Just heard a snippet on radio 11am sen news.
Missed the name but said a Richmond star was close to signing a long term deal to stay at the club.
Did anyone hear? Was it referring to Bakes?
It was referring to Rioli however this morning Cal Twomey said that the WA clubs were of the opinion that Baker was staying at Richmond.

So hopefully an announcement on Baker is imminent

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Maybe he’s a bit banged up from some hits in previous games. Giving him a bit of management playing him forward for a couple of weeks.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It's mismanagement of the highest order if it's he is not carrying something serious injury wise.

I simply do not understand. At all.
i think it was just structure against the Suns. He was 1 of our 7 defenders. If he moved it would have weakened our defence, which we would not have wanted to do while trying to hold the lead. We didn't have any one who we could confidently send back.
Against the Roos it was probably just personnel. We had Cotch, Prestia, Bolton, Sonsie and Short at CBs. We broke even at CBs-12-12. Take out the frees against Nank and I think that makes it 12-9. CBs werent the problem. Was he involved as much around the ground as he could have been? Maybe not.

I reckon Baker it at his best as a defender. I think he has success pinch hitting on the ball and up forward, but I am not sure he will be consistent there.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
i think it was just structure against the Suns. He was 1 of our 7 defenders. If he moved it would have weakened our defence, which we would not have wanted to do while trying to hold the lead. We didn't have any one who we could confidently send back.
Against the Roos it was probably just personnel. We had Cotch, Prestia, Bolton, Sonsie and Short at CBs. We broke even at CBs-12-12. Take out the frees against Nank and I think that makes it 12-9. CBs werent the problem. Was he involved as much around the ground as he could have been? Maybe not.

I reckon Baker it at his best as a defender. I think he has success pinch hitting on the ball and up forward, but I am not sure he will be consistent there.
Baker has been our "break in case of emergency" midfielder.

We were in two emergencies and didn't break the glass.

Utter madness. Coaching failure. And to a point player failure, he should've moved himself into the midfield.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I think Bakes is the victim of being too versatile the last 2 weeks. He can play anywhere so when holes open up, he is used to fill them.

Vlastuin out against the Suns created a hole back, so Bakes filled it.
Aarts, George, MRJ out against the Kangas left a hole in the forward line so Bakes filled it.

He's wasted in the forward line for me.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I think Bakes is the victim of being too versatile the last 2 weeks. He can play anywhere so when holes open up, he is used to fill them.

Vlastuin out against the Suns created a hole back, so Bakes filled it.
Aarts, George, MRJ out against the Kangas left a hole in the forward line so Bakes filled it.

He's wasted in the forward line for me.
Not only is Baker wasted in the forward line I actually think he doesn’t play that role all that well.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Had a coffee with someone in the AFL world this morning. Their take on the Baker situation, if someone hasn't committed to a club by now they are gone.

I'm getting nervous. Would you trade Baker +19 for the WCE first pick?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Had a coffee with someone in the AFL world this morning. Their take on the Baker situation, if someone hasn't committed to a club by now they are gone.

does that just apply from yesterday? Cos as of Wednesday, Rioli hadnt committed, but obviously now he has.
i reckon there are many reasons why some one wont have signed yet, particularly a nearly 'elite' player like Baker.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Yeah but West Coast wouldn't do it. Would be dead keen on Elijah Hewett. They might offer their second, which would be pick 20.