Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Thought he was pretty good but found himself one on one on taller opponents quite a few times and couldn't bring it to ground. Big fan though.

I noticed that a few times too and I was thinking why is he there in a one on one with a much taller opponent, where are the taller players. On a hiding to nothing when trying to spoil a player a good 6 inches taller, little he could do.

What I like about Baker is that he is a footballer and he reads the game and considers options because this is his game. It really shows at times and is one of those intangibles which are such a benefit.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He’s such a midget nearly everyone is six inches taller!

Did some things in the heat only good players do.

Yeh he got outmarked a bit, but he reminds me of a jack Russell, the more a fight heats up the harder he tries.

Reactions: 5 users

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Thought he was pretty good but found himself one on one on taller opponents quite a few times and couldn't bring it to ground. Big fan though.

Fully agree. Too good to leave out and excellent in traffic behind the ball but a weak link nevertheless. What position does he play next season?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Fir a while in last looked like cats wanted to play through his man to exploit the height but not enough to cause any real damage. love his drive.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Thats right, but it was also because of how we set up
The geelong marks were all on the wing with Baker coming across from his zone. We kept our defensive structure so that Astbury, Flossy and Grimes were all a kick behind that contest.

And dont forget from the 3rd we were down Broady, who was taking on of the talls.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
The geelong marks were all on the wing with Baker coming across from his zone. We kept our defensive structure so that Astbury, Flossy and Grimes were all a kick behind that contest.

And dont forget from the 3rd we were down Broady, who was taking on of the talls.

It was obvious they were trying to play through Baker.

Couldn’t believe how well he stood up - he will take so much out of that game.

Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
and does it all with a smile on his face ... the sort of character you want around a footy club

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He had some one on one issues earlier in the game but his composure was really important in the last quarter.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I have reckoned that Stack should be playing in Bakers place but yesterday Liam was, especially in the second half, so committed, skilful and brave he has cemented the berth for himself for the final

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
He’s such a midget nearly everyone is six inches taller!

Did some things in the heat only good players do.

Yeh he got outmarked a bit, but he reminds me of a jack Russell, the more a fight heats up the harder he tries.
Good post. Jack Russells are awesome and so is Baker.

I thought he struggled a bit in the first half but his second half was great.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Fair point and goes a long way to explaining why he was in some marking mismatches. If that is the case then I think it is a good move. Baker might lose marking contests to much taller players, but he will halve a few and he will compete and hold up the marking player. With Broad off the ground it is a decent solution in a less dangerous part of the ground.

DS

Reactions: 1 user