Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

surprise packet for me. did not think he would get to that level.
Been bloody great

Reactions: 1 users
when he has the ball in his hands - even if under immesnse pressure - i trust him. always makes the right decision. I wonder if the club has plans to move him into the midfield? he would make a brilliant in and under midfielder.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Short AFL players have to be so much better in their skill set to make up for their lack of height. It has been a toss up between him and Balta for who has been our most improved.

Reactions: 2 users
Recruiting is a funny thing, isn't it? Baker was passed over the first year and taken in the rookie draft the following year as a 19 year old.

1. Be able to win the football
2. Be able to use it well.
3. Always compete.

Height, speed and athleticism are obviously important but the three traits above are the deal-makers. Baker has them all in spades.

Reactions: 7 users
How was his pick up and left foot kick that resulted in Bolton’s goal in the third!
when the handball (?) went in his direction i thought it was a bit of a waste, someone under pressure, on their left tucked up on the boundary line. then i saw it was Baker, and i relaxed.
he is just such a good player, in every way.

Reactions: 4 users
Hard to split, Shai , Balta & Baker for most improved. Another great game.

Agree our youth is driving our improvement and making our established players play better.

Baker is so slippery - like Bolton, find gaps that aren’t there and never seems to waste it.

I now enjoy watching these three as much as I do Dusty.

Agree our youth is driving our improvement and making our established players play better.

Baker is so slippery - like Bolton, find gaps that aren’t there and never seems to waste it.

Comparison to Bolton is great, they are both so hard to tackle. There was one phase coming out of our D50, I think Houli handballs over the top of his man, Bakes running on to it. Darcy says "Baker sold into it there" (or something like that). Bakes bounces off the tackler, goes past another and then kicks forward. He is so clean with the ball and hard to tackle, he's perfect to start that rebound.

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to split, Shai , Balta & Baker for most improved. Another great game.
I reckon Baker easily. Whilst his season last year was good, I still had reservations that he’d stay in the team for this year. He’s going that well this year that IMO he’s a leading contender for AA selection. His confidence has risen as the season has progressed, and any time he gets it you know it’s going to a teammate. Unbelievable player, and my favourite player right now.

And I think we all knew that Balta And Bolton had this improvement in them but not Bakes

Baker has been very good since he came in. Some have taken a while to cotton on. Some even thought late last year he wasn't best 22. He'll be top 10 (maybe top 5) in the B&F this year and rising.

Reactions: 3 users

It's a funny one. Baker and Bolton are amazing at finding a little space and getting through it. Dusty I reckon is quite different, he seems to make space, or it opens up around him, or he just bullock's through. Watching the Dreamtime game last week Martin got the ball on the boundary and looked hemmed in, and then space just seemed to appear around him - it just looks like there is more space to use than there really is.

Baker is such a pure footballer. Not sure how he would go in other games, probably fine, but it is that aspect of knowing this game which gives him such an advantage. I think he is the only player on our team who is shorter than I am (5'10") but it doesn't seem to matter. The way he bounces off tackles and gets ironed out and just gets up again is simply amazing. Hope he plays well over 200 games for us.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Baker is an upgraded model of Lloyd. Quicker, more agile, younger. I was disappointed when we let Lloyd go but always saw potential in Baker. Great list management by the Tigers.
Nothing like Lloyd , he was an old school HFF that would have been better 20y ago when defence was only a word. Baker is a tenacious attacking defender that plays like someone twice his size , yea I cAn see the resemblance

Nothing like Lloyd , he was an old school HFF that would have been better 20y ago when defence was only a word. Baker is a tenacious attacking defender that plays like someone twice his size , yea I cAn see the resemblance

Well that's your opinion. I think quite a lot like Lloyd when Baker played forward early on. I think you undersell Lloyd a bit but I did say Baker is a quicker better version and I'd love to have 2 Bakers, one forward and one back.