Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah Ryan was a sockeye salmon last night. It’s in his DNA

You gotta luv it! Long may it be part of the game

We just need to get Stacky back into that form

Might have to wait for 2021 for Syd to find his mojo.

I reckon he will too with proper pre season and continuity.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
It's a funny one. Baker and Bolton are amazing at finding a little space and getting through it. Dusty I reckon is quite different, he seems to make space, or it opens up around him, or he just bullock's through. Watching the Dreamtime game last week Martin got the ball on the boundary and looked hemmed in, and then space just seemed to appear around him - it just looks like there is more space to use than there really is.

Baker is such a pure footballer. Not sure how he would go in other games, probably fine, but it is that aspect of knowing this game which gives him such an advantage. I think he is the only player on our team who is shorter than I am (5'10") but it doesn't seem to matter. The way he bounces off tackles and gets ironed out and just gets up again is simply amazing. Hope he plays well over 200 games for us.

DS
Two others... Prestia and Bolton are 175cm, 5'9'' on RFC list. Hence why some on here refer to Prestia as the midget which I dont like 'cause that's my height!

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Two others... Prestia and Bolton are 175cm, 5'9'' on RFC list. Hence why some on here refer to Prestia as the midget which I don't like 'cause that's my height!

Hmm, didn't know they were that short. These days you have to be exceptional to play footy at less than 6'.

DS

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Well that's your opinion. I think quite a lot like Lloyd when Baker played forward early on. I think you undersell Lloyd a bit but I did say Baker is a quicker better version and I'd love to have 2 Bakers, one forward and one back.

Tad harsh...

id have 3, one forward, one back and one in the guts.

Reactions: 2 users

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
He runs rings around the opposition and pings around the ground like a steely pinball.

Must be from Pingaring.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Watched the replay of the wet toast game last night ( just to make sure I didn't miss anything) and Baker was so good again.

I have to say I am amazed that he has become the player he is now, I didn't see it coming. He is the perfect example of good drafting and good player development.

We are like a footballer factory these days, they go in as raw material and come out as Richmond style footballers !!

Reactions: 10 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
It's a funny one. Baker and Bolton are amazing at finding a little space and getting through it. Dusty I reckon is quite different, he seems to make space, or it opens up around him, or he just bullock's through. Watching the Dreamtime game last week Martin got the ball on the boundary and looked hemmed in, and then space just seemed to appear around him - it just looks like there is more space to use than there really is.

Baker is such a pure footballer. Not sure how he would go in other games, probably fine, but it is that aspect of knowing this game which gives him such an advantage. I think he is the only player on our team who is shorter than I am (5'10") but it doesn't seem to matter. The way he bounces off tackles and gets ironed out and just gets up again is simply amazing. Hope he plays well over 200 games for us.

DS

Well said about Baker - he is a delight to watch at both ground level where he always seems so perfectly balanced but also in the air when he defies his (lack of) height

BTW with you being only 5’ 10” I guess the DavidSSS stands for “small and short stature“
(I can say this of course I tower over you by a full 12.7 mm)

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Well said about Baker - he is a delight to watch at both ground level where he always seems so perfectly balanced but also in the air when he defies his (lack of) height

BTW with you being only 5’ 10” I guess the DavidSSS stands for “small and short stature“
(I can say this of course I tower over you by a full 12.7 mm)

Dunno about small short stature - about average for my generation. My partner's father was 6'0" and played ruck when he played footy, wasn't Dyer about 6'1"? People are getting taller. These days Balta looks too small for a ruck and Nank is considered a bit short for a ruck at 196cm (must be about 6'8"?).

Testament to Baker he can be so good without the height.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Dunno about small short stature - about average for my generation. My partner's father was 6'0" and played ruck when he played footy, wasn't Dyer about 6'1"? People are getting taller. These days Balta looks too small for a ruck and Nank is considered a bit short for a ruck at 196cm (must be about 6'8"?).

Testament to Baker he can be so good without the height.

DS
196cm = 6' 5''.
2m is 6' 61/2"

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
He's getting more kicks. I've been looking at why that might be. Against WCE it was mainly because he was breaking the line himself. Not just putting blokes through. At AFL level this is a development. His kicking was a bit off, as I saw, on the night. He got a soft matchup at times. O'Debutant. But I think Baker looks to be levelling up.

More kicks is good as an indicator.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
L0ve this kid.
Reminds me of the footballers of the 70's. No fuss, all class and brave.

Reactions: 2 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Driving across the Nullabor and cutting his own hair is more indication of a future Hall of Famer than any fabricated 'statistic' that Champion Data could ever provide.

Just love his strut. Jack Higgins may have a big *smile*, but Bakes has balls like a prize bull.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
I reckon he is a Smokey for AA. Should def be in 40 player squad. Vlaustin and Grimes should be locks but we know it won't happen. Strange we could win the chocolates and only have Dustin AA