Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

Debuting a young player like that is just bad management. It's not a breach of human rights, but it is unsupportive.

Hardwick himself has said before that you want to make selection clear to a new player as early as possible to give them time to prepare.

But this is the end result of our worst ever week at selection.

1. Jake Aarts should never ever ever be selected.
2. Naming Jack Ross when he was clearly injured.
3. Not rewarding Cumberland (until forced) after weeks of good form.
4. Missing an opportunity to see what Sonsie could do after good form.

Which is backed up by previous non selection of Stack after repeated BOGs.

We selected what was clearly a losing side. And if we were going to do that anyway we could have at least given Cumberland a chance to set himself for the game.
With the Ross injury ~ Dow makes sense as a like for like. Upside about emergency is no nerves between selection on Thursday and game day. I've wanted Noah in for a while....not a perfect game at all, but I'd rather he played for the rest of the year to see if he can adjust his game and bring a bit more defensive awareness too. Or if he is a VFL player. Aarts and Parker are not quite good enough so I'd be playing Stack and Miller too.

Reactions: 1 user
He would have been set. All your other points have been discussed to death. Heaps of injuries to some of our best players and no depth is the issue. You're barking up the wrong tree.

He would have been set. All your other points have been discussed to death. Heaps of injuries to some of our best players and no depth is the issue. You're barking up the wrong tree.
Do you think preparation and selection for that game was handled flawlessly?

I'm sure Hardwick himself would be reflecting on what could have been done better.

Do you think preparation and selection for that game was handled flawlessly?

I'm sure Hardwick himself would be reflecting on what could have been done better.
What is flawless? He would do that every week. I thought we had selected a losing side too, we agree on that, where we disagree is the reasons for it. Injuries, lack of depth, full stop. I don't think your criticisms hold water

I really can't abide the Cumber blew sodas because he was sub thing, and we were somehow negligent not easing him into the side in ideal circumstances. Totally ludicrous. I don't know about you, but at various times in jobs I've worked in I've been thrown in the deep end at short notice due to extenuating circumstances. That's life, you get on with it, do your best and learn a lot quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
first time id really watched him play. So VFL watchers; feel free to comment. Against the Suns- did he play a little like a VFL player... as in- did he sneak out the back a bit too much (sort of Jack Higgins style) and just presume that like in a lower standard of footy- the ball would get turned over by a skill error from the Suns and so he could get on the end of a few? He seemed to not put as much effort into his forward defensive craft as he needed to at AFl level (the higher skilled players dont turn the ball over quite as easily as the level down). But again- i wasnt at the ground to watch his defensive work so i might be well off here. Either way; some good signs with his aerial attack on the ball when it was his turn to go. Hopefully he can get his ball drop right and the coaches show him some good footage from the game to learn from.
I try to watch a bit of the streamed VFL games , but being on the phone it can be hard to pick players and the commentary often isn't crash hot

I've seen him inject him self into the play and look really good at times but not seeing the whole of these games I wonder if his whole body of work isn't quite enough ?
What you do see in the VFL is a beautiful set shot for goal , and that was what let him down on Saturday :-(
I did see a nice tackle from him late in the game
I think it was a comment made about him for a VFL match write up ' displayed AFL traits' and I would agree with that and hope he gets another chance at this level

Reactions: 4 users
What is flawless? He would do that every week. I thought we had selected a losing side too, we agree on that, where we disagree is the reasons for it. Injuries, lack of depth, full stop. I don't think your criticisms hold water

I really can't abide the Cumber blew sodas because he was sub thing, and we were somehow negligent not easing him into the side in ideal circumstances. Totally ludicrous. I don't know about you, but at various times in jobs I've worked in I've been thrown in the deep end at short notice due to extenuating circumstances. That's life, you get on with it, do your best and learn a lot quickly.
I have too.

I think in those circumstances I’ve performed more poorly than the times I’ve been prepared.

Which is all I’m saying.

I have too.

I think in those circumstances I’ve performed more poorly than the times I’ve been prepared.

Which is all I’m saying.
Sometimes circumstances dictate that flawless planning and preparation is extremely difficult if not impossible. Which is all I'm saying.

Personally some of my best work has been done in that situation.

Should've kicked a few more but a fair effort in game two.

Enough to get another go.

Thing is Cumberland is a good kick. I think you can excuse his few brain snaps in game 1. Lots of emotion and adrenalin at play.

Looking forward to see how he plays at the Dump. Hopefully dangerous and kicks a bag.

Would be nice if he could do a Towner for us in the next few weeks. Kick a few goals and make himself undroppable

Reactions: 2 users
Debuting a young player like that is just bad management. It's not a breach of human rights, but it is unsupportive.

Hardwick himself has said before that you want to make selection clear to a new player as early as possible to give them time to prepare.

But this is the end result of our worst ever week at selection.

1. Jake Aarts should never ever ever be selected.
2. Naming Jack Ross when he was clearly injured.
3. Not rewarding Cumberland (until forced) after weeks of good form.
4. Missing an opportunity to see what Sonsie could do after good form.

Which is backed up by previous non selection of Stack after repeated BOGs.

We selected what was clearly a losing side. And if we were going to do that anyway we could have at least given Cumberland a chance to set himself for the game.
Agree. Well said. Dimmas management of some of the young players of late has been poor.

Thing is Cumberland is a good kick. I think you can excuse his few brain snaps in game 1. Lots of emotion and adrenalin at play.
Agree. From the limited viewing he seems like a good kick.

Should've kicked a few more but a fair effort in game two.

Enough to get another go.
did not hit the center of his foot in any of his shots for goal. Normally a nice kick... a few nerves in his "1st game", Sub rule is just stupid - he was credited 1 game being the sub vs the sydney game ad played zero min.

Id like to see him play a few more games.

Missed an opportunity to get in the path of his opponent prior to that infamous Castagna shot at goal in the last. Other than that and a couple of missed goals, a good intro.

Do you mean shepherd?
The lost football skill. A vastly underrated skill as well. The amount of time and space you could give a team mate by providing a simple shepherd was extremely valuable. Even if you were struggling to get a kick you could help the team by laying a shepherd.

Hardly anyone does it nowadays. They are mostly just happy to let their opponent walk around them and try and get an easy kick themselves.

Missed an opportunity to get in the path of his opponent prior to that infamous Castagna shot at goal in the last. Other than that and a couple of missed goals, a good intro.
No excuses for George missing shot at goal
No guarantee George would’ve kicked the goal anyway