Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

Thing is Cumberland is a good kick. I think you can excuse his few brain snaps in game 1. Lots of emotion and adrenalin at play.

Agree. From the limited viewing he seems like a good kick.

He's OK from a set shot - has a decent routine and kicks it a long way.

His field kicking or at goal on the run will be frustrating and let him down ILHO.

Reactions: 1 user
The lost football skill. A vastly underrated skill as well. The amount of time and space you could give a team mate by providing a simple shepherd was extremely valuable. Even if you were struggling to get a kick you could help the team by laying a shepherd.

Hardly anyone does it nowadays. They are mostly just happy to let their opponent walk around them and try and get an easy kick themselves.

Yeah, Pickett bumped/shepherded a Hawthorn player earlier this year and ended up having to sit out the next game.

I agree it is vastly under-rated but sometimes the way the game is adjudicated has an impact on what players do.

In any case, Cumberland situated himself in the goal square to receive a hand pass if his team mate could not get a clear kick to goal, but we saw how that worked out. Bit of a choice as to whether to shepherd or to be an outlet for a guaranteed goal, neither is the wrong decision but you are reliant on what your team mate does.

DS

Yeah, Pickett bumped/shepherded a Hawthorn player earlier this year and ended up having to sit out the next game.

I agree it is vastly under-rated but sometimes the way the game is adjudicated has an impact on what players do.

In any case, Cumberland situated himself in the goal square to receive a hand pass if his team mate could not get a clear kick to goal, but we saw how that worked out. Bit of a choice as to whether to shepherd or to be an outlet for a guaranteed goal, neither is the wrong decision but you are reliant on what your team mate does.

DS
Yeah not necessarily saying Cumbo should have shepherded in that instance; I think he did the right thing which gave George two very good options. Handball to a player in the goal square for an easy goal or just perform an easy sidestep for a clear path to goal himself. Of course George in inimitable George fashion chose neither of the simple and effective options and *smile* it up deluxe.

My comment was more directed at the way the game is played these days which has seen shepherding basically become a lost and forgotten art.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah not necessarily saying Cumbo should have shepherded in that instance; I think he did the right thing which gave George two very good options. Handball to a player in the goal square for an easy goal or just perform an easy sidestep for a clear path to goal himself. Of course George in inimitable George fashion chose neither of the simple and effective options and *smile* it up deluxe.

My comment was more directed at the way the game is played these days which has seen shepherding basically become a lost and forgotten art.
I reckon Cumbo did neither because he, we and the whole footy world knew Castagna would've goaled.

Missed an opportunity to get in the path of his opponent prior to that infamous Castagna shot at goal in the last. Other than that and a couple of missed goals, a good intro.
but shepherding is a thing of the past but and if George had more vision he might've given it over to Noah but handballing to a stationary player is not ideal

I’ve watched this a few times I think the player who shepherded came from completely out of nowhere cumbo certainly didn’t see him coming and clearly George didn’t either

DS
A few have said that and it makes nil sense , you can’t shepherded when bloody teammate is approaching from opposite direction, GC came thru at 100mph , there was only two choices kick it earlier or a loopy handball over the top which 9/10 players do

Reactions: 1 users

Certainly not disagreeing, I reckon there should be more shepherding. Being the outlet for a handball is not always the best option, shepherding can work very well.

Not encouraging when a bump gets reported though.

DS

50 metres and a report. 1 week suspension for off the ball contact. Gillon's AFL.
He actually didnt need to make contact at all just step in his way and force him to go around and gain 2-3 seconds

He was not even considering obstructing ballard at all but was trying to create an option to get a handball after ballard went past him.

I think he made a big mistake by not doing the team thing here as just about every coach in the land would point that out to him in the review.

Something that he needs out of his game

Do you mean shepherd?
No. Unfortunately shepherding seems to be a dead art and often penalized. Forwards often block for their teammates by getting in front of their opponent and slowing them down a little without throwing out the arms or bumping. Just impeding their progress by getting in their path.

He actually didnt need to make contact at all just step in his way and force him to go around and gain 2-3 seconds

He was not even considering obstructing ballard at all but was trying to create an option to get a handball after ballard went past him.

I think he made a big mistake by not doing the team thing here as just about every coach in the land would point that out to him in the review.

Players rarely shepherd or try to create an obstruction to anything other than a marking contest in most games these days. It's all about creating options and alternatives to support the ball carrier. Then it's simply up to the ball carrier to execute, often a fatal mistake when Georgie has the ball.

shepherding isnt coached anymore, in fact it's actively coached against. Coaches see it as taking an option away from the player with the ball, but also potentially losing a bit of structure. That's why it stands out so much when a player like Pickett does it

The right play was going for the handball over the top from Cumberlands perspective. If George was going to kick the goal he had ample time, he received the ball what 35m out and ran almost to the top of the square (you could actually argue he ran too far without a bounce). George have been kicking from 20m out or handballing over the top, simple as. This isn't a cross against Cumberland at all. If he laid the shepherd on Ballard, George would have without doubt run too far and should have been penalised for that.

Yep. It's always someone else's fault that castagna has yet to master the basics of football.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Let's not over analysis blind Freddy kicks that goal he had time and a open paddock George no excuses in the world he had. Cumberland has worked on his defence issues to exaggerated for me.