Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
A couple of interesting observations about Sam during the week.
He had a slightly quieter game against Coburg and I noticed that Steve Morris said that he was often in good positions and open but the players couldn’t get the ball to him in the conditions.
Then on the Talking Tigers podcast Richo said that he thinks Sam Banks is one of those players who will play better in the firsts on the better grounds.
I hope we are considering him.
I have seen him live a couple of times and to me he looks like a natural AFL winger, kicks the ball really well.
Yes he is outside and he is a bit skinny still.

Interesting, I'm not 100% sold on Banks yet, has disappointed me slightly so far, for a Tassie boy I expected a bit more hardness and some ability to win his own ball.
Yes you want the ball in his hands and he does look to have the ability to run and carry but you can't afford to be a total receiver either.
I want to see improvement in contested/defensive stuff from Sam, ( if he wants to be a natural, RICHMOND, AFL winger he'll need that).

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Interesting, I'm not 100% sold on Banks yet, has disappointed me slightly so far, for a Tassie boy I expected a bit more hardness and some ability to win his own ball.
Yes you want the ball in his hands and he does look to have the ability to run and carry but you can't afford to be a total receiver either.
I want to see improvement in contested/defensive stuff from Sam, ( if he wants to be a natural, RICHMOND, AFL winger he'll need that).
Agree with all of that.

Very good kick, and receive to pass player, but a few gaps that need a fair bit more work. Of all our 2021 recruits he was the one I was least bullish on. Not to say he can’t be pretty good, he can, but I think it might be a bit of a slower burn with Banko v the others - not withstanding Brown’s development rate as it relates to his injuries which have slowed him down considerably.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I’ve heard from numerous sources within the club that they rate him extremely highly and are very excited about his future prospects.
But admittedly I don’t see it either.
Should be getting 20 plus disposals a week in the VFL.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I see that he has been named an emergency Caesar. I don’t think he will be the sub but it means he is getting closer.
I have to say I don’t feel like I have seen enough to judge whether he has ball winning capability. The only times I have seen him live was a few games last year when he was having a good patch and he looked very good.
You are right of course, he needs to win some ball himself to be a regular AFL player.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Reckon he is the sort that will stand out in the 1sts ala Cumberland. Just needs a shot skinny or not. Has fantastic composure which is something we severely lack

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Brown struggles to even get on the park, he's the pic that will hurt more if he ends up a bust at the RFC at least.
Even if can play Tassie will come for him now.
Clubs shouldn't draft any Tassie kids because if they are any good see ya later.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Morris after VFL R8 v Geel -

Sam Banks (13 disposals, four tackles, three rebound-50s)

"I thought he was really good. His leadership down back really did stand out. It was a bit of a new role for him this week moving away from a wing, and I thought he set the boys up well behind the footy. His foot skills and work-rate stood out."

We're all looking for bigger numbers from Banks. He won't be far off getting a senior game if he can produce them. But 13 touches? Yeah, nah.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Morris after VFL R8 v Geel -

Sam Banks (13 disposals, four tackles, three rebound-50s)

"I thought he was really good. His leadership down back really did stand out. It was a bit of a new role for him this week moving away from a wing, and I thought he set the boys up well behind the footy. His foot skills and work-rate stood out."

We're all looking for bigger numbers from Banks. He won't be far off getting a senior game if he can produce them. But 13 touches? Yeah, nah.
Back flankers are the new stats padders, 13 touches. That’s a half. You can’t impact a game with 13 touches.

In 24 VFL games has only had over 20 touches, 6 times, never more than 26. Twice over 20 this year.

Lift.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Back flankers are the new stats padders, 13 touches. That’s a half. You can’t impact a game with 13 touches.

In 24 VFL games has only had over 20 touches, 6 times, never more than 26. Twice over 20 this game.

Lift.
Agree, Scoop. If you can't get a kick at HBF you'll never get one.

That said, Banks seems very immature to me. And like most of the other superhunks needing a bit of time to develop. Emotionally.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Agree, Scoop. If you can't get a kick at HBF you'll never get one.

That said, Banks seems very immature to me. And like most of the other superhunks needing a bit of time to develop. Emotionally.

Did someone mention Kayne Pettifer???

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user