Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Playing Banks again is the first serious blemish for the Ooze.

Mediocre in the Magoos and has less than no impact in the 1s.
Its not really a blemish at all, let alone a serious one, and I can't see it with Banks, I think he's a bust. But If he'd left him in the seconds, people would be saying play the kids, lets see what he's got etc etc (but in more colourful language). The problem is simple, we don't have enough good players. One thing that Yze has to do, is a very thorough stocktake of the players we do have, especially the young players..

Reactions: 8 users
I dont reckon he's got anything he needs?

seems almost a uniquely weaponless footballer to me?

doesn't do any single thing terribly, doesn't do any single thing great.

A footballing Taylor Swift? Thats what state leagues are for.

I like @tigersnake 's simple adage

'I want my bums tough'

Melee Mansell is his pin up boy, and the bare minimum you accept from a Tasmanian

Onto the mullock heap!
Yeah. If you're a finge player or a player who just isn't good enough, you still have to have something to hang your hat on.

Reactions: 1 user
Its not really a blemish at all, let alone a serious one, and I can't see it with Banks, I think he's a bust. But If he'd left him in the seconds, people would be saying play the kids, lets see what he's got etc etc (but in more colourful language). The problem is simple, we don't have enough good players. One thing that Yze has to do, is a very thorough stocktake of the players we do have, especially the young players..

agree,

with the caveat that leaving Dow in the middle in the last quarter with the game in the balance, served no purpose and did nobody any good (unless we are tanking?)

Likely it was a tactical blip while he completes his stocktake.

Ive sold all my stocks on the Dow, but I am contemplating investing in Banks.
Would definitely be buying low, but i still reckon he has got the attributes to be a good AFL (at least he does at VFL level.)
He has good size, moves well, uses it well and has a good degree of confidence. At VFL level. Where he will surely spend a fixed term now.

I still hope those traits will translate in the near future.

Or he could just be one of those guys who looks good at a level below the elite.

Reactions: 2 users
agree,

with the caveat that leaving Dow in the middle in the last quarter with the game in the balance, served no purpose and did nobody any good (unless we are tanking?)

Likely it was a tactical blip while he completes his stocktake.
It did some good. We know not to do it again, which sounds trite but its all part of the process. Its a very difficult but critical row Yze has to row. We can see it already writ large on PRE. people say 'Play the kids!' out of one side of their mouth, and 'why did that kid get a game?', out of the other. And thats when political capital is at it highest, new coach, 3 flags in recent sweet memory.

Reactions: 3 users
My biggest issue with Banks is he's built like a prepubescent 16yr old. He physically can't compete, especially against a side like Port where they are all big strong guys.
If he gets another year - which i doubt - he needs to focus on gym work above all else.

Timid - Its all I can say about him.

Back to the ressies to learn some mongrel. Can you learn Mongrel? Not so sure

My biggest issue with Banks is he's built like a prepubescent 16yr old. He physically can't compete, especially against a side like Port where they are all big strong guys.
If he gets another year - which i doubt - he needs to focus on gym work above all else.
He is contracted for next year, so I reckon he will be around.

Some very harsh judges on here.

Is still 30 games I.e. 2 years away from being a developed player.

Not everyone is a walk up start to AFL.

He is not ready now not to say he won't be in 2 years. Worst case He will be trade bait for Tassie Team.

Reactions: 3 users
It did some good. We know not to do it again, which sounds trite but its all part of the process. Its a very difficult but critical row Yze has to row. We can see it already writ large on PRE. people say 'Play the kids!' out of one side of their mouth, and 'why did that kid get a game?', out of the other. And thats when political capital is at it highest, new coach, 3 flags in recent sweet memory.

agree.

thats the point where I see only upside in better communication with members and fans.

I dont think we should have to forensically search pressers for nuance

the usual 'we're here to win games' is pretty naff.

I know the constraints, but jeez id love some frank honesty

'dimma is a club immortal, but he jumped ship with a pretty precarious list. my job is to take stock in 2024; champs have retired, we are post dynasty, equalisation has caught up with us as it is designed to do, we were caught on the hop with Damien taking the GC money, and so now we consolidate; which means look at the list, and rebuild the list, pretty much from the bottom up. and that is going to mean selections and tactics that the fans wont always understand, probably not many wins in the short term, some high draft picks over the next few years, and some wild inconsistent weeks and seasons as we put it all back together again. we will have to make hard trade decisions, but I can assure Richmond people that we will never, ever, ever trade Dustin Martin. The board has given me five years and the performance criteria are ...........'

its what we all know,

I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
but doesn't honesty take the pressure off everyone and make an organisation better?
But the media would have an absolute frenzy on that type of dialogue.

The Tigers are tanking.......

Internally I am sure the dialogue is much different.

Plus I dont buy into the fans knowing every little detail the club is doing.

Reactions: 4 users

yeah.

its why I havnt had an invite to a dinner party for 25 years

• Haha

If they came out with were tanking
Those in charge would come up with new rule just for us and take away any first round draft pick

Reactions: 2 users
but doesn't honesty take the pressure off everyone and make an organisation better?

Yes, it can.

But show me an organisation which is actually willing to go down that path, especially in professional sport. Exceedingly rare.

DS

A coach can't say "My players are sh!t." He can say "We played sh!t", or "We're young", etc. But saying the quality of the list is poor would lose the players three weeks into his tenure.

Everyone knows where we're at. The coach doesn't need to say it in a presser.

Reactions: 9 users