Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
If Shorty can’t find his feet as a mid as that’s where the coaches insist on playing him
The whipping boy title will have to be passed on from George to Shorty

Reactions: 1 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
If Shorty can’t find his feet as a mid as that’s where the coaches insist on playing him
The whipping boy title will have to be passed on from George to Shorty
Reckon that was already started by some last year.Still think he will play a big part this year.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yeah, I'm not bagging Short, Oldie. But Daniel is the best line-breaking HBF in the comp.
Maybe. Don't forget Shorty was best & fairest in a Premiership year playing half back in 2020. HB is not the toughest role to play.

That said I do probably prefer Dan in that position mainly cause he's better defensively so we're close in thinking.

I also agree with you in that I wasn't impressed with his game yesterday.

Think he's been promoted above his abilities & looks a bit lost at the moment. Not entirely sure he'll play rnd 1 at this stage.

Reactions: 1 user

Ralphie

Tiger Rookie
Dec 6, 2015
I get very annoyed with him when a kid is lining up and he does the run past calls for the ball and misses the shot, I hope we don't get a repeat of that this season

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
We have two star HBFs. The Prince who would be king, and Baker.

Short's looking for a job in a midfield that now includes players who can get a kick.

Was woeful yesterday. Up against it.

Reactions: 5 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
We have two star HBFs. The Prince who would be king, and Baker.

Short's looking for a job in a midfield that now includes players who can get a kick.

Was woeful yesterday. Up against it.
Still he managed the most kicks and distance gained last season.Also got 20 possessions in the last final.Seriously why bust a gut against a side like North in a scratch match?

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Still he managed the most kicks and distance gained last season.Also got 20 possessions in the last final.Seriously why bust a gut against a side like North in a scratch match?
If he’s not busting a gut, he’s too comfortable.
And he shouldn’t be

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Did Shorty have an interrupted pre-season?
Running laps most sessions?
How long has he been in the main group? How many match sims?
Sounds like he was rusty yesterday.
First up gallop. Give him time

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ah he’s done. Just turned 27. Kaput. Finito. Dunno what we ever saw in him.

Bloody waste. Shame. Could’ve given us so much…..

1677314992916.jpeg

1677315124487.jpeg

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I don't reckon Short is in our best back 7, or our best 6 forwards, or our starting midfield. But I am pretty confident he will be in it best 22 to start the season, and probably stay there.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The myth that is Shorts kicking.
In isolation Metres gained is perhaps the single most useless stat there is.

Short is a terrific athlete who can kick a football a long way at great trajectory. Not always to the sides advantage.

Better options than Short on every line, which is great for the side. Reckon he’s on the bench at best come years end.

Reactions: 3 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
We are best served playing Shorty on the back flank where he won the b and f. I don’t like him on the forward line at all and he is not in the class of our new mids.

Reactions: 3 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Is Rioli better at HB than Short was in B n F year? That is effectively what has happened. They are preferring Rioli it seems. Baker also but plays a bit different to other 2

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Is Rioli better at HB than Short was in B n F year? That is effectively what has happened. They are preferring Rioli it seems. Baker also but plays a bit different to other 2
This. Is Rioli or Baker better than Short in the role? It's as simple as that really.

A reminder that after a year of being shuffled around Baker's last game in the final was one of the worst he's ever played.
I love Bakes like everyone else but after an interrupted pre season he might be the one that gets left out early.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Is Rioli better at HB than Short was in B n F year?
Yes.

Short was great in 2020, but that B&F is morally Dustin Martin's. Short's win was a reflection of the coaches making the Jack Dyer Medal a measure of how well a player performed their role, and how well they performed against expectation. Dusty won the PRE Player of the Year, which is never wrong. (We don't care about your role here, we judge who was the best player. Robert Klomp would not win a TV from PRE.) Short finished seventh with just over half as many votes as Dusty, which was about right. The seventh-best player in a premiership year. In the best three or four on the ground in the grand final. Great achievement. But he was not our best player.

Daniel finished fourth in the PRE Player of the Year last year. He's better defensively than Short, better in the contest, a better ball user and a better line-breaking runner. Short's great weapon is the depth of his kicking, which allows him to kick over lines. Rioli can't do that. But he rarely misses a target. He slices through the opposition when he runs with the ball, whereas Short's run is around the side, always wide, on the overlap. Danny scythes through their hearts.

Oldie's right, it's between Short and Bakes. The Prince is a lock. He's the best running backman in the league.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Yes.

Short was great in 2020, but that B&F is morally Dustin Martin's. Short's win was a reflection of the coaches making the Jack Dyer Medal a measure of how well a player performed their role, and how well they performed against expectation. Dusty won the PRE Player of the Year, which is never wrong. (We don't care about your role here, we judge who was the best player. Robert Klomp would not win a TV from PRE.) Short finished seventh with just over half as many votes as Dusty, which was about right. The seventh-best player in a premiership year. In the best three or four on the ground in the grand final. Great achievement. But he was not our best player.

Daniel finished fourth in the PRE Player of the Year last year. He's better defensively than Short, better in the contest, a better ball user and a better line-breaking runner. Short's great weapon is the depth of his kicking, which allows him to kick over lines. Rioli can't do that. But he rarely misses a target. He slices through the opposition when he runs with the ball, whereas Short's run is around the side, always wide, on the overlap. Danny scythes through their hearts.

Oldie's right, it's between Short and Bakes. The Prince is a lock. He's the best running backman in the league.
I love your description of Rioli ...... slicing through the opposition when he runs with the ball. Perfect!

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I like Short Vlaustin Broad on the hb line.
Miller Tarrant Grimes deep. Bakes and Balta changing. Balta starting to worry me though.