Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I thought Rioli played a bit better than some of his more recent outings.
But as TigerTool suggests, I also reckon those couple of "unnatural" moments do stand out and usually have a consequent negative outcome for that passage of play.
If he's carrying an injury, as has been suggested, then it might be a struggle.
That said, I do hope he is somehow able to get his mojo back. He can be a very good player ... and he's still a young 'un.
He plays before I would select Castagna again.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
No way. He is the only one I notice consistently do it, and it ALWAYS feels unnatural given the moment in the game.
D Martin also does it.
Its a coach instruction, though when they do it is no doubt player choice

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
D Martin also does it.
Its a coach instruction, though when they do it is no doubt player choice
When it’s time to go after a mark, Martin goes. Rioli stops. Just my point of view I guess, but I disagree with that entirely.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
When it’s time to go after a mark, Martin goes. Rioli stops. Just my point of view I guess, but I disagree with that entirely.
Players get a mark, hold and let teammates surge forward / set up behind play.
Dusty does it but then wheels off and rarely kicks down the line, Rioli almost always kicks down the line.
I get why he waits. Its frustrating but i get it and think its a coaching instruction.
I loved the run on the wing and want more dash and dare

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Apart from the flash of brilliance down the wing which was reminiscent of his heyday, I thought he was pretty ordinary.
Dan is working pretty hard, that's beyond doubt but most of the time offensively it's just not happening for him & he's making a lot of mistakes.
Is it fatigue? Like Castagna he plays an incredibly taxing role..made more so with these new rules..

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Apart from the flash of brilliance down the wing which was reminiscent of his heyday, I thought he was pretty ordinary.
Dan is working pretty hard, that's beyond doubt but most of the time offensively it's just not happening for him & he's making a lot of mistakes.
Is it fatigue? Like Castagna he plays an incredibly taxing role..made more so with these new rules..
That one flash of brilliance is what we want to see from him more often. That’s the way he used to play. The way he plays now is very dare I say un Rioli like. He gets a lot of slack because his surname is Rioli. The fact is he’s had very little impact on games this year and he’s not kicking goals either. He really needs to lift. As does George.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
No way. He is the only one I notice consistently do it, and it ALWAYS feels unnatural given the moment in the game.
If you consider how often we are outnumbered in our forward line, it's obvious he waits till there's a traffic jam so we have a chance to set up our much vaunted repeat entries and lock in of the ball inside the arc and try to avoid the instant coast to coast rebound that's killing us this year. As Dimma constantly says, he's playing to our system.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I've been impressed with Rioli's improvement over the course of this year. Sure. From a low base but he looks like one of the few who is getting near career-best form. If not there yet.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I've been impressed with Rioli's improvement over the course of this year. Sure. From a low base but he looks like one of the few who is getting near career-best form. If not there yet.
You cant say that Dyi.
He hasnt been kicking goals!

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I watched 7news lastnight and their great investigative journo Tom Browne frothing at the mouth and it's still got me stuffed how this bloke will be able to do his 'job' when his old man takes over at the Pies...

"I'm here to report that DeGoey and Maynard attended the nightclub and left before the trouble broke out. ... I know this for a fact, as dad told me before I went to bed"

• Haha

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Naturally the new eye witness will b believed as its is controversial - media will love it, Predict a pile on now.. Does not matter that Rioli's Girlfriend has said she was subjected to “inappropriate behaviour” by another man - both verbal and physical.

Last edited:

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
One eye witness has come forward and as usual their point of view is gospel.

Additionally my understanding is that if someone is kicked out of a venue the venue needs to make a record of that.

And they continue to call it a brawl.. Where I come from a brawl involved multiple persons going full on for many minutes and you didn't know where the next punch was coming from. From all descriptions so far Rioli and Bolton's incident was a few punches