Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Not just Rioli, our whole forward line is too stagnant.

Let him off the leash, he needs some sort of circuit breaker as Rioli is just not adding much to the side at the moment.

I would give him the chance to redeem himself, but I think his role must change as he isn't doing it so well, and the way teams are now moving the ball along the boundary with short passes and handballs is negating his role.

DS
Happened ever since Lynch joined. We lost Butler and Higgo in that spot, Rio's slowed down and Nuts seems to messy. We really need a re-hab in that area, even to find someone lively like Koz. Aarts needs to lift big time.

Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
There's a lot of speculation regarding his drop off in output. I think it's pretty simple, he hasn't been the same since he busted his foot in the 2017 Grand Final.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Watching his 2017 highlights makes me sad remembering the player he was compared to what he is now

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Happened ever since Lynch joined. We lost Butler and Higgo in that spot, Rio's slowed down and Nuts seems to messy. We really need a re-hab in that area, even to find someone lively like Koz. Aarts needs to lift big time.
Are you saying he’s upset the apple cart?

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
In fairness to Rioli no one moved for him at all stagnation every where kicked it to Gawn and Jack down the line
melbourne players flooded back everywhere
Not defending his poor game though
Exactly, we won the Inside 50 count 60-56, the inside 50 tackles count 16-10 but the small forwards provided no pressure or run? Really now.

The problem is 'Bring back Caddy' as a forward, the small's are too high up the ground locking the ball forward off 50, there's no smalls around Lynch or jack when contested high balls go to ground near the goals, five times last night I watched us get it into the goal square, three Dees on Lynch/Jack, no smalls around and twice they took it down the other end and goaled. -24 points there, there's the ball game.

Bring Caddy back as a forward, then you can have two deep at least instead of just the one guy there competing against three, Caddy is pretty good in contests and strength work, have one working further up the ground, or go one deep with a small and the other two further up the ground and them smalls who are high up there at the drop of the ball, whichever way the game is flowing and works best at the time :)

Don't give me lacks pace stuff, Dees last night played the Sprint machines Tom McDonald-Bolt up forward, Bayley Fritsch who doesn't look like a speed demon, and a ruckman Luke Jackson up forward. They kicked 7 goals to Jack/Lynch 2. That's the margin last night, 5 goals.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The more I remember that comment from Rance, the more I reckon something happened internally between the players to make him leave so soon.
Rance left because he did something that the group didn't like.
Pity he didn't leave on the night of the prelimarly final in 2018.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
DRioli has lost all his confidence and natural instincts. He's hesitant to take on opponents with the fear of making a mistake, so takes the easier option by slowing down play. That's not the manic DRioli of 16 and 17.

Even though Dimma praises him for the hard defensive work ie chasing, tackling, closing down space etc, reckon it's this that has "dumbed" down his game. He appears lost and confused out there when he gets the ball - like he's only supposed to perform without the ball. Also appears completely spent when he gets it and has nothing left.

Would like to see him dropped to the reserves for a couple of games with the instruction to ease off a bit with the defensive stuff, and concentrate more on getting the ball and kicking some goals. He needs to find a better balance. Leave some gas tickets aside for some exciting attacking play. We need to find the DRioli of a few years ago.

Reactions: 2 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Dimma talking about Lynch pretty much said this about Rioli when he went to the reserves.

"Tom could go to another club and be more dynamic as a player, there's no doubt," Hardwick said. He comes to our club, he fulfils a role. What we determine that role is, allows us to win games of footy.

"There's no doubt he could play in a different format, a different system, and get All-Australian honours. But the reality is he comes in and he's happy to fulfil this role and he gets two premiership medals as a result of that."

"People can judge him for what it is but we know what we value as a (club) and Jack Riewoldt is the same," Hardwick said.

"We're a system-based side and he plays according to our system. If people want him to kick 60-80 goals, that's not going to happen."

"We've been down that road as a Richmond footy club and we finished ninth. But the fact of the matter is that Tom and Jack play very specific roles within our system that allow us to win a lot of games of footy."

"The fact of the matter is Tom is a very valued player in our system and what we choose to pay that player is what we think he's worth - end of story," Hardwick said.

"We're a system-based side and he plays according to our system.
"If people want him to kick 60-80 goals, that's not going to happen.
"We've been down that road as a Richmond footy club and we finished ninth".

Been down that shizenhousen road thanks, I'll take the flags Dimma

Reactions: 3 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Yep, unless you are at the ground and watching Rioli it is impossible to measure his input. Vital to our ability to get one spare back.
I know his output is higher and obviously a better player, Dusty even bought in, he went from 31 disposals a game in 2016, (when we were crap!) down to 26 and 25 in 2018, 2019 and 21 last year a game. He went more forward and became a goalkicker and possessions became more quality over quantity. And we won more!! :cool:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, unless you are at the ground and watching Rioli it is impossible to measure his input. Vital to our ability to get one spare back.

What you see on TV is always so limited. Must go back and watch that 2019 PF on the little screen, at the ground I remember watching Geelong set up their defence so well in the first half, but I doubt you can see any of that on TV.

DS

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Yep, its why I am such a big fan of KMac. His running and positioning off the ball is absolutely crucial to the way we play. Was so happy to see him rewarded last year with a top 5 B&F placing for it. Opposition supporters probably wouldnt even know who he is.

Reactions: 3 users