Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
It is great to watch an instinctive footballer enjoying playing the game again

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Daniel Rioli was the spark in early 2017 which started a dynasty.

Remember someone from the club mentioning how Rioli set the tone at training and in the early games which changed the way we played to a fast chaos game. Everyone else followed.

He could well be the spark to keep our dynasty alive.
Bulter and Catagna and Lambert set us up in 2017 finally after Hardwick realised that duds like Vickery, McBean & Elton werent the answer.
Our style started as soon as Hardwick played the 4 smalls around Jack alongside Caddy.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Bulter and Catagna and Lambert set us up in 2017 finally after Hardwick realised that duds like Vickery, McBean & Elton werent the answer.
Our style started as soon as Hardwick played the 4 smalls around Jack alongside Caddy.
Townsend was vital in the last 6 weeks of 2017. Hit the scoreboard and brought fantastic pressure. Will always appreciate what he did to break the 37 year drought.

Reactions: 7 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I think Short to a wing would be huge. He likes to play on with the stand rule and with his leg it will open up a dimension the current wings do not provide - kicking penetration and greater awareness of options to take.
we like wingers who run hard defensively and can compete in the air. that is not Short.
we also need people who can deliver the ball incisively into the F50, not bomb it blindly. again that is not Short.

while i doubt they will drop him this year, I cannot see Short moving anywhere else on the field.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Daniel Rioli was the spark in early 2017 which started a dynasty.

Remember someone from the club mentioning how Rioli set the tone at training and in the early games which changed the way we played to a fast chaos game. Everyone else followed.

He could well be the spark to keep our dynasty alive.

It was Shane Edwards who said that the one thing that stood out for him when looking back on the rise of the Tige's was the drafting of Daniel Rioli in (2015).

Reactions: 6 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Townsend was vital in the last 6 weeks of 2017. Hit the scoreboard and brought fantastic pressure. Will always appreciate what he did to break the 37 year drought.
Townsend is a legend in my eyes.
Beautiful kick, good hands, fear factor A1

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I was worried the last five years of chaos ball might have killed development in players .. especially Dan. But he looks every bit the player that Lids was at half back.

Granted it's three games, but you can only go off the evidence you have.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
It was Shane Edwards who said that the one thing that stood out for him when looking back on the rise of the Tige's was the drafting of Daniel Rioli in (2015).

Thanks Ceasar. Knew I wasn't imagining it.

Remember seeing Daniel in 2016 and thought we had a player, and then in early 2017 he just gave us so much energy and drive and pressure.

Was poised to be better than Cyril IMO.

That's why it's been sad seeing him running around the past couple of years without that level freedom and flair and confidence.

Great signs atm with him in the backline, and as I mentioned he could provide us the spark that we need again.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If Dan Rioli can regain flair and confidence could he play the crumbing forward again? I think the days of using a small forward to block space and pressure are over and we should be looking at small forwards to create and kick goals. Not entirely sure about the nullifying small forward anyway, would have thought we need them scoring and use the centreline players and half backs to block space and intercept.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
If Dan Rioli can regain flair and confidence could he play the crumbing forward again? I think the days of using a small forward to block space and pressure are over and we should be looking at small forwards to create and kick goals. Not entirely sure about the nullifying small forward anyway, would have thought we need them scoring and use the centreline players and half backs to block space and intercept.

DS
thought the same. after he's reprogrammed to enjoy his footy again, it would be worth a try to put him back as a goal kicking small forward.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Been a revelation.
Didn’t think he could reinvent himself there but Sundays was his best game and was our best 4 quarter player by a fair margin.

I loved his attack on the player and desire to turn defence into attack with his run.

One problem looking like we may have solved.

Happy for Dan but it’s the start and four games left to build on his last three weeks.

Good on you, waiting.
Welcome back

Reactions: 5 users

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
we like wingers who run hard defensively and can compete in the air. that is not Short.
we also need people who can deliver the ball incisively into the F50, not bomb it blindly. again that is not Short.

while i doubt they will drop him this year, I cannot see Short moving anywhere else on the field.
Disagree. Times have changed. Have you noticed Rioli lately? We need better delivery in the forward line. Short is part of the answer.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Disagree. Times have changed. Have you noticed Rioli lately? We need better delivery in the forward line. Short is part of the answer.
Sorry I am confused. You say we need better delivery into the forward line, then you say you want Short kicking it into the forward line. Which is it?

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

We do , someone better tell dimma about Macca and Pickett , they’re crude at best with their entries i50 , with better players and classier options out of the side it’s exposed us time and again

Reactions: 1 user