Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

JoeGee

Tiger Cub
Oct 17, 2023
When did we go from being a destination club to "where are the exits"?
When players used to success realise they're going to have the last 3-6 years of their career playing in a losing team. Some people don't want to have to be a role model.

Reactions: 2 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
If Daniel wants to play under Dimma he can go on the LTIL and Kaleb Smith can take his place in the side

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Beavis apparently feels sorry for Dan post catch up.
Can't give you anything else as it is paywalled by the Hun fish and chips wrappers.
If anyone can bypass and post?
How does that ad go.
Is there anything you can do?

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Beavis apparently feels sorry for Dan post catch up.
Can't give you anything else as it is paywalled by the Hun fish and chips wrappers.
If anyone can bypass and post?
How does that ad go.
Is there anything you can do?
Damien Hardwick confirmed he met with Daniel Rioli while the Tigers star was holidaying on the Gold Coast this week but denied his former player took a tour of the Suns facilities as had been speculated.
Hardwick said the “innocent” catch-up had been taken out of context and suggested it would have been odd not to catch up with Rioli while he was on the Glitter Strip given their close relationship.

“I’ve known Dan for 10 years. He lived with me for two or three, so it would be weird if I didn’t catch up with him when he was up here on holidays,” Hardwick said.

Reactions: 3 users

yo_eddy

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 18, 2023
Daily Toiletgraph...

Damien Hardwick confirmed he met with Daniel Rioli while the Tigers star was holidaying on the Gold Coast this week but denied his former player took a tour of the Suns facilities as had been speculated.

Hardwick said the “innocent” catch-up had been taken out of context and suggested it would have been odd not to catch up with Rioli while he was on the Glitter Strip given their close relationship.

“I’ve known Dan for 10 years. He lived with me for two or three, so it would be weird if I didn’t catch up with him when he was up here on holidays,” Hardwick said.

“So yeah we caught up and had a beer together, it was his birthday.

“It was good to see the great man but I feel a bit sorry for him at the moment.”

Rioli was door stopped by local media at Gold Coast airport on Wednesday as he was preparing to return to Melbourne.mThe Tigers had given their players three days off during the club’s bye week.

Rumours began circulating this week that Rioli’s visit to the Gold Coast was for more than just a holiday, with speculation he had even toured the Suns’ facilities.

“No absolutely not,” Hardwick said.

“(It was) a personal visit. I have a great long-standing relationship with him.

“He’s contracted to Richmond for life I reckon, so it was pretty innocent from our point of view.”

The Suns coach was also asked about the club’s draft and recruiting strategy moving forward, given the immediate on-field impact shown by four of the five Suns Academy products who have debuted in recent weeks.

“List management will always be looking at our list and how we can get better,” Hardwick said.

“At the end of the day every club wants good players within their list and wants to bring good players to their footy club and we’re no different.

“We go through a very rigorous process about what that looks like, who those players are and we work our way through that, much like 17 other clubs.”

Richmond believes Daniel Rioli is committed to its long-term future as the Suns on Thursday denied the contracted defender had toured their club while holidaying on the Gold Coast. Rioli met with former coach Damien Hardwick for a drink while celebrating his birthday during the Tigers’ bye ahead of the Anzac Eve clash.

But while the Suns are desperate to find an elite running back and would be crazy not to have interest in Rioli, Richmond has no intention of pondering a request for a 27-year-old in the peak of his career.

He is contracted for another three seasons until 2027 and is integral to the club’s plans to bounce back to contention. Daniel Rioli’s uncle Maurice Rioli Jnr, 21, is also putting together his best stretch of form and will win another contract at Punt Road so he would be unlikely to leave his relative and close friend.

His partner Paris Lawrence also has a successful DJing career in Melbourne.

It comes with clubs chasing Gold Coast’s emerging swingman Joel Jeffrey despite a contract to 2028 as it becomes clear he will struggle to get a game given the Suns’ emerging batch of talls.

Jeffrey is hugely talented and played seven games as a key back in 2023 before foot stress fractures ended his season. With Charlie Ballard, Sam Collins, Mac Andrew, Ethan Read and Jack Lukosius ahead of him as key backs his path to a senior game is clouded.

So with at least two clubs chasing him he would be prepared to move on if he could secure a regular game elsewhere.

Gold Coast has a tight cap so any departures would help for a club which will give Matt Rowell and Charlie Ballard pay rises for deals expiring next year.

The Suns are adamant Jack Lukosius is going nowhere but rivals are pondering whether he might be available at year’s end despite his contract to 2026.

Richmond’s list management position is interesting because the club has over 20 players out of contract, with former captain Trent Cotchin flagging the possible departures of Dustin Martin and Liam Baker on Wednesday.

He said on Channel 7 one or both would leave, saying the numbers thrown at Baker were “pretty significant”, “I believe that one of them, if not both, will not be in Richmond colours next year. With Baker, the numbers that I’m hearing being thrown around from the west are pretty significant,” Cotchin said.

This masthead revealed in February Baker’s talks were on hold given rival interest, with Fremantle (which has three first-round picks) leading the chase ahead of West Coast.
He has now bought two investment properties in Perth but is adamant it is about his financial future rather than an imminent move home to West Australia.

Richmond coach Adem Yze sat down with his vice-captain several weeks ago and told him the club would not stand in his way if he left but to be his normal effervescent self despite the decision ahead.

“I sat down with him and wanted him to play with a carefree attitude and enjoy his time. When he makes that decision he will make it,” Yze said.

“He is a terrific guy. We love him around our footy club but he will make that decision and whatever way he goes we will back him in with it.”

Martin’s manager Ralph Carr told the Herald Sun in March he would put his talks as an unrestricted free agent on hold as he assessed his future in the manner he did every season.

As an unrestricted free agent he has the choice to move to any club without the Tigers matching a deal but could decide to retire or sign another deal to stay a one-club player.

Reactions: 1 user

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Media creates story
Media writes another story about why the first story isn’t a story
Two stories for the price of none!

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Gagf Dimma.
My sentiments exactly.

Watching the snippet of him on the news talking about how Dan lived with him for a few years and went up there recently and had a beer.

Dimma had that smirk and you just knew he was loving it. Even if there’s nothing in the story he loved stirring it up and putting heat on the club he used to love. I think he gets as bigger kick out of us struggling as he does with GC potential success.

Reactions: 1 users