Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Didn’t quite say that.
One of his comments pricked the ears. Albeit there were others.
“All I’m focusing on is this year and focusing on getting this team to where we want to go, just to get better every day. Rocking up to the club with a smile on our faces.”

“All I’m focusing on is this year and focusing on getting this team to where we want to go, just to get better every day. Rocking up to the club with a smile on our faces.”
I take it as he has doubts for sure

Which could mean. I'm not worrying about next year, I'm concentrating on this year.
Next year's a long way away.

With respect shad. Being an uncle is not necessarily seniority. It’s all swings and roundabouts. A reciprocal relationship here is balanced by another there. I am a white fella but I call a lot of senior men in Yolngu country waku (nephew) and one little fat baby dad. There is no misunderstandings with my waku’s about who’s senior.
Thanks FB. I've lived for a long time in traditional societies-but not in Australia. Just wondering if it may be an issue. Happy to stand corrected.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks FB. I've lived for a long time in traditional societies-but not in Australia. Just wondering if it may be an issue. Happy to stand corrected.

Fair to ask the question shad. From what I've seen though the indigenous boys love playing together and that is even stronger when they are close relatives.

He is saying, I love this club and what it has brought me. I too am proud of what I have given to this club. I have family and friends here, why would I leave? It's up to everyone to strive and lift this club and create greatness again. I want to be part of it again with Richmond

Reactions: 3 users
It was very stock standard. "I have a contract", I wouldn't call it definitive. He didn't say anything like "I want to be a one club player" or "I want to be a Richmond player till I retire" or "They will have to shove me out the door because I want to stay for ever", they were media answers. Text book answers, nothing more. And after seeing that yesterday, if I'ma club list manager whose club has a shot at a flag, I'm picking up the phone. Genuine 50/50 he stays.

And I'm leaning towards going by his choice.

Reactions: 1 user
This is indigenous round and they were talking about the dreamtime game and to me Daniel was not happy that he was asked about his future in a press conference about something that is important to him and his culture.
Reading anything into it is a mistake imo.
The quality of the nuff nuff media there is that one of them asked Jade Gresham, a player who was at St Kilda last year, what is the difference at Essendon between this year and last year :rolleyes:
I've said it before but watching the last 2 weeks I don't see another player more invested in the team and trying harder than Dan Rioli.
Edit - as an aside has anyone noticed that he is all over the marketing materials for the PRO redevelopment? Not sure that is the profile of someone leaving the club !

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
If he goes I rather ask for luscious or Humphrey in return.
We can't afford to rely on these blokes selecting a quality kid.
They have burnt 25 picks since Higgins

This is indigenous round and they were talking about the dreamtime game and to me Daniel was not happy that he was asked about his future in a press conference about something that is important to him and his culture.
Reading anything into it is a mistake imo.
The quality of the nuff nuff media there is that one of them asked Jade Gresham, a player who was at St Kilda last year, what is the difference at Essendon between this year and last year :rolleyes:
I've said it before but watching the last 2 weeks I don't see another player more invested in the team and trying harder than Dan Rioli.
Edit - as an aside has anyone noticed that he is all over the marketing materials for the PRO redevelopment? Not sure that is the profile of someone leaving the club !
Yep it was a Dreamtime promo.
So no further talk on anything else beyond the stock answers.
Not an indication one way or the other

When I rate the best defenders I've always got Richmond champion Dainiel "The Prince" Rioli up there. There is no better line breaking defender in the game. And certainly not one that can defend.

Another player who has to be in the conversation is Blakey. He can defend and he can rip the guts. He may even be quicker than our man. Horse is using Blakey tall atm. But Blakey can do the defend/attack thing.

Other clearing defenders sag. In the end they are saggers. Jordan Clark is a sagger. Mitch Hinge lets the ball break the line but he sags a lot. He can break one. He can win it back. He's good. In 2021 Salem was very good but cannot walk these days. (He was crucial to their premiership.)

Bailey Dale is a sagging ball butcher. (2SI tonight. Sagged for all ball.) Nic Martin is a fraud atm. Riley Bonner is an eternal fraud.

Youth? Sheezel is actually not bad at defending but he does not break a line. McKercher is much better IMO because win contest/break line. D'Ambrosio is better than you think. 20yo. And Nysaiah is immature. But somebody special. Jase Burgoyne is probably a midfielder.

Win it back. Break the line. Rip the guts. These defenders are game wreckers. Earlier this season Kent Kingsley mentioned that he had told Lachie Ash to be more like Daniel Rioli. Everybody wants one. Horse uses Bungler Florent in the role. He'd kill for a Daniel Rioli.

These Daniel Riolis. Perfect footballers. You can win a premiership with 17 of them. We could do with sixteen more. Everybody else wants seventeen.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hey Dan, you'll never get this family feel at the Mould Coast Huns. We're the best club with First Nations people.

I was just about to post on this. Fantastic the club brought so many family members down as a surprise for him.

I don’t think any club - at least not here in Victoria - has the indigenous connection like we do. Can we do more ? Yes. Of course. Everyone can. But I think we lead most clubs on indigenous relations.

Cmon Prince. Richmond is Rioli. You know that. It’s your footy home.

I’d like to think Danny is a one club player - with his home. Richmond. Like it should be.

I think he’s aware of that.

Reactions: 9 users
I was just about to post on this. Fantastic the club brought so many family members down as a surprise for him.

I don’t think any club - at least not here in Victoria - has the indigenous connection like we do. Can we do more ? Yes. Of course. Everyone can. But I think we lead most clubs on indigenous relations.

Cmon Prince. Richmond is Rioli. You know that. It’s your footy home.

I’d like to think Danny is a one club player - with his home. Richmond. Like it should be.

I think he’s aware of that.
Spot on. I'll be sure Uncle Mozza (or as the players call him now Momo) will keep him here. Dimma would have just made him a number in the system of that plastic sweaty shithole of a club.

And neither should he.
I know I’m gonna get smashed for this, but I believe this is a good test of character for Dan.
The Richmond Football Club has made Dan a triple premiership player, paid him well, looked after him and by signing his latest contract he made a commitment to the club and his teammates.
If he was to turn tail and run, breaking his commitment in the process, because it’s going to be tough for a few years then I’d question the man’s character. It’s easy to do the honourable thing thing when times are good, the real test of character comes when the honourable thing to do is not the easy thing to do.

Personally I think Dan will stay, but that’s just my gut feel or wishful thinking.

I know I’m gonna get smashed for this, but I believe this is a good test of character for Dan.
The Richmond Football Club has made Dan a triple premiership player, paid him well, looked after him and by signing his latest contract he made a commitment to the club and his teammates.
If he was to turn tail and run, breaking his commitment in the process, because it’s going to be tough for a few years then I’d question the man’s character. It’s easy to do the honourable thing thing when times are good, the real test of character comes when the honourable thing to do is not the easy thing to do.

Personally I think Dan will stay, but that’s just my gut feel or wishful thinking.
I think he stays. I want him to stay. I cant see a realistic trade that would be acceptable. I want him to be captain.

Having said all that, if he were to go then I wouldnt guess it was because its too hard or Rioli wasnt strong enough.
No the possible reason he goes is that the money is a life changing final contract.
Similar to Brandon Ellis.
So in that circumstance I wouldnt see it as dishonourable.

But cmon! The Prince stays at Tigerland!!!

I think he stays. I want him to stay. I cant see a realistic trade that would be acceptable. I want him to be captain.

Having said all that, if he were to go then I wouldnt guess it was because its too hard or Rioli wasnt strong enough.
No the possible reason he goes is that the money is a life changing final contract.
Similar to Brandon Ellis.
So in that circumstance I wouldnt see it as dishonourable.

But cmon! The Prince stays at Tigerland!!!
Brando was out of contract, and there was no way we could match their offer in all good conscience. Daniel’s still got a contract, and he’d be on good coin.