Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

From what you see, is because AFL players try to win free kicks while players in the lower leagues just play?

E.g. the way Mathieson shrugged to create that high free kick when Grimes tackled him.

Are those manufacturing attempts not being made in lower levels or are umpires just calling play on if it happens?
Or when Cody Weightman just throws himself backwards to the ground to milk a 50 and got up grinning when it was paid, resulted in a goal.

Anyone who reckons umpires are not affecting momentum and the outcomes of games needs to think again.

They almost got GWS over the line with BS frees against us last week, and got the win for the Crows today, the Bears loss to the Cats with that holding the footy non call, the stitch up on us at the Adelaide Oval with Gray out of bounds and a stack of other BS frees and the Geelong stitch up in Sydney a fortnight ago or so ago.
They dead set murdered us last night.

Reactions: 2 users
Or when Cody Weightman just throws himself backwards to the ground to milk a 50 and got up grinning when it was paid, resulted in a goal.

Anyone who reckons umpires are not affecting momentum and the outcomes of games needs to think again.

They almost got GWS over the line with BS frees against us last week, and got the win for the Crows today, the Bears loss to the Cats with that holding the footy non call, the stitch up on us at the Adelaide Oval with Gray out of bounds and a stack of other BS frees and the Geelong stitch up in Sydney a fortnight ago or so ago.
They dead set murdered us last night.

The non-calls / mistakes are umpire error (for whatever reason). Hard to criticise.

What I mean is how much of the problem is caused by the players?

Players who perform a rehearsed action. A dishonest action. With intent to force the opposition into giving away a free kick.

E.g. someone with the ball sees a player about to tackle him. A second later he’s caused high contact to himself.

Do players do this in lower levels?

Should the talk pivot from umpires to players?

Reactions: 3 users
The non-calls and bad calls are umpire error (for whatever reason...)

Players who perform a rehearsed action. A dishonest action. With intent to force the opposition into giving away a free kick.

E.g. someone with the ball sees a player about to tackle him.

A second later he’s caused high contact to himself.

Nothing will change by criticising umpires, but something might change if the club puts the spotlight on dishonest players.
I reckon a few youngsters will have been learning the craft.

From what you see, is because AFL players try to win free kicks while players in the lower leagues just play?

E.g. the way Mathieson shrugged to create that high free kick when Grimes tackled him.

Are those manufacturing attempts not being made in lower levels or are umpires just calling play on if it happens?

its a good question. Yeah dont see too much appealing and staging.

i spose its not as quick, so maybe easier to umpire?

not sure

The non-calls / mistakes are umpire error (for whatever reason). Hard to criticise.

E.g. someone with the ball sees a player about to tackle him. A second later he’s caused high contact to himself.

The problem is that this is a professional sport and big business. If you stage, shrug shoulders etc to milk a free and it works you will continue to do it.

The umpiring has to be better and stop encouraging the behaviour by not paying the frees.

As for the Pickett suspension, absolute farce. Pickett gets coat hangered and there is nothing to see here, Pickett does the same and gets a week. FFS the incidents are within 5 seconds of each other. I would ask how come they can't see this, but I know they can.

Total farce.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
Just saw this. Tom Morris seemed to predict a week last night. He almost wished it.
It’s getting beyond a joke.

Reactions: 1 user
The problem is that this is a professional sport and big business. If you stage, shrug shoulders etc to milk a free and it works you will continue to do it.

The umpiring has to be better and stop encouraging the behaviour by not paying the frees.

As for the Pickett suspension, absolute farce. Pickett gets coat hangered and there is nothing to see here, Pickett does the same and gets a week. FFS the incidents are within 5 seconds of each other. I would ask how come they can't see this, but I know they can.

Total farce.

DS
Rate these 3 what the *smile* was Christian doing today? Blind *smile*20210523_020736.jpgScreenshot_20210523-020111_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20210523-020118_WhatsApp.jpg

The Brisbane players had and got a free pass to do whatever they liked to us last night.
They weren't penalized during the game and they got off scott free with that dumb shiit Christian.
Are you allowed to head butt?

Mathieson's diving has fallen away significantly, he used to be the most embarrassing excuse for a footballer. The Dogs' Toby McLean probably owns his title now.
I think Jack Lonnie at the saints would be also close. Plays for the free as first option.

I watched a NAB league game today and I had some skin in the game.

Our side got spanked.

it was umpired really, really well.

I was aware of 2 poor decisions in 4 quarters. they paid all manner of free-kick in a minimalist way (put the whistle away for all but dogs-balls), consistently and accurately. the game flowed really well and was enjoyable

If I allocate the u19's umpiring I watched today (3rd division umps?) a score of 8/10,

the 1st div last night gets a 2/10.

I don't think its perception. heaps of neutrals are feeling the same - not that they are systematically victimised, that's a bit of a Richmond thing,

but that the rules and the quality of umpiring in the big league is a debacle.
Watched SOB ( son of brightside) really really ordinary standard bush footy this year , they generally have a couple of 120 keg big fellas umpiring who basically don’t leave the square, thing is they really only pay the obvious and obviously it can’t work at AFL , however geez it makes footy better to watch by just letting it go.

After watching the replay I thought MP gave us a bit of spark, the dropped sitter had me curse him even though it was a replay, but his attack on footy after was exemplary, geez his a unique footballer

Reactions: 1 users

Half the problem is that all AFL games are televised then analysed by mouthy expert former players with big money opinions to the Nth degree. Players are extremely professional and will push and tweak every rule till something gives. Top it off with the AFL trying to sanitize n micro manage every insignificant action on and also off the field and we end up with a simmering *smile* storm of outrage, anxiety and victim hood.

Watched our VFL game against Brisvegas yesterday, and it flowed brilliantly, without all the *smile* that seems to cling to AFL level. Couple of hundred fans n no real " Theatre " to play to, just get on n play the game. Lower games are rarely televised or analysed and I've watched a few reserves games and country footy over the years. Apart from the occasional rabid fan barny in the outer or on the ground during finals there's generally a much simpler n straight forward, enjoyable way of playing and adjudicating the game.

Reactions: 1 users
Grimes one was far worse imo.

Absolutely right. Connecting with him when he was off the ground, pushed his body in the air and ensured he would likely hit his head on the ground. But not even looked at but Pickett (who hit him in the chest) is given a week.

As farcical as when Soldo was rubbed out for a week a few years ago.

Good to see Willie Rioli sticking up for Marlion, although likely going to get him in hotter water than he already is.

I haven't seen the Instagram post, but have seen it quoted in the WA Sunday Times.

I share Willie's frustration with the football industry.

I think our players are deformed. Clearly we don’t have heads, so consequently don’t get paid frees for head high contact.

• Wow