Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Think of how many 17/18 year olds stuffed up their last year of school, and how many clearly had the brains to go further if they wanted to, but just didn't have the application at that age. Same applies to any field really: sport, trades, education, whatever.

DS

Yep

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I watched it with my kids. Great conversations afterwards about everyone deserving a second chance. Wonderful story.

Reactions: 2 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
That doco was beautifully put together by the ABC's Australian Story team.

"Some people say what's happened to me is a fairy tale... but if you're looking for a change and a better life then it's up to you."

What a fantastic role model for the Indigenous community, He's done himself and his family proud.
Full agreement with all of that and very interesting to hear him explain why he deliberately broke the rules in the low security jail, getting caught with hash. He felt he needed the more strict rules and structure of the higher security jail to get away from bad influences and get his life straightened out! Good self-asessment although the outcome left his prison footy team without their best player for the finals! Can't imagine him doing anything to let down Richmond. He will thrive in the organised day to day environment of an AFL club and keep growing as a good father to his kids. Well done.

Reactions: 1 user

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Great programme.

Makes you proud to support Richmond, and over some periods in the last few decades this hasn't always been the case. The way they have created a great culture which goes well beyond the football is just brilliant. It pays off in performance too, what a bonus.

The fact that Richmond can offer an environment for those willing to work for a goal after having a disrupted past is great. I've always thought that second chances are one of the best ways to help people, as Dusty said. Think of how many 17/18 year olds stuffed up their last year of school, and how many clearly had the brains to go further if they wanted to, but just didn't have the application at that age. Same applies to any field really: sport, trades, education, whatever. Keep giving people more chances to prove themselves and most will find something they can apply themselves to.

DS
Great summation. Couldn't be prouder of the club and the environment. People can say its all too PC, but PC shows us that connection and being able to get past stereotypes is the way to go. Working with other cultures brings a richness and layering, helps with the development of players as human beings. If players come out better then we have done the job. If supporters come out better, hallelujah.

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Good role model and leaning post for young Stackie and Shai is Marlion after watching this last night.

Good on him and kudos to him.

May his few years in the AFL system give him ultimate levels of success to make up for his years lost to bad decisions as a youth.

No doubt has a life long career as a counselor / mentor to wayward youth in the offing, especially Aboriginal lads and lasses.

The more successful Marlion is with the RFC the more recognisable,successful and influential he will be for his post footy life and that's a great result for him and for the youngsters he will be involved with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
There has been talk of the father son rule being changed back from 100 games.

It was pushed out to 100 because of the entry of the WA and SA sides not having access to the rule having no history.

Now theyve been in 30 odd years its nigh on invalid thus the games limit can be relaxed.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It's a shame that Marlion had to wait so long before he got an opportunity to strut his stuff.
I really believe that he is going to have a very good career, AFL fans have missed out on watching a player who has it all.
The goal he kicked in the GF did not look like missing, it was a thing of beauty the way it came of the boot and split the middle of the goal posts.

Reactions: 1 user

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
I think he’ll play on well into his 30 ‘s a la Shaun Burgoyne (minus the knees).Rationale:

1.Late Start didn’t get knocked about in his teenage years.

2.:Wiry Build,Smooth running style.

3.Footy Smarts,Super Fit,Superior Anticipation,all screams economy of effort.

4.Super Confident,unflappable,& most of all driven to do it for Jess & the kids.

In summary,will play: 118 To 125 AFL Games for the mighty Tigers,& comfortably qualify those kids as F&S prospects.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
The Austraian Story episode was an inspiration. But what stood out for me was that we have a lot to thank his partner for. She has been a rock for him in his darkest times. They are a great couple who have found a way out of a difficult youth. So glad Marlion has clicked with Dusty, Sydney Stack, Daniel, Shai and Shedda. A great example of what an authentic culture of support can do.

Reactions: 9 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
The Austraian Story episode was an inspiration. But what stood out for me was that we have a lot to thank his partner for. She has been a rock for him in his darkest times. They are a great couple who have found a way out of a difficult youth. So glad Marlion has clicked with Dusty, Sydney Stack, Daniel, Shai and Shedda. A great example of what an authentic culture of support can do.

Agree. Amazing she has kept with him through all his mistakes. On the other side of the coin, my Mrs threatens to divorce me after forgetting to put the bin out!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
For him to get to 100 games he’s going to have to play every game (plus finals) for the next 4 seasons. If not he’d have to go into a 5th season where he’d be aged 32. Which I reckon would be unlikely but having said that Podsiadly was a similar story. Played 100 state league games before being drafted at age 28 and went on to play 103 games over 5 seasons (technically 6 seasons but he didn’t play a game in 2015)